The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GG Julie Payette Resigns

nucklehead

2 hours ago, gurn said:

Be a good time to review the whole "monarch" thing anyway.

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Abolish the position. &^@# the Queen. 

I think there will be serious debate in the commonwealth when she eventually passes away if countries still need a monarch....

I believe Barbados just removed her from monarchy and I can see other countries following. 

The monarchy will hit an all time low once Principle Charles as I like to call him becomes King and then raise again when it comes to William.

After that there will be serious discussion. 

6 hours ago, Jaimito said:

I bet Lord Stanley wasn't a great boss. But at least he gave us the Stanley Cup. 

Canada calls this a scandal. Meanwhile in the US, Trump is getting impeached a second time. 

It’s fortunate to live in a country where these are the scandals. 

Always appreciate that. 

• Cheers 1

I could see us being just as cooky when it comes to electing a President...

Don Cherry

Kevin O'Leary

Jim Treliving

I am for the monarchy personally, as it is part of the Canadian identity, one can say it's meaningless, but it's just as easy to argue the opposite that leaving it to create some other kind of meaningless Canadian identity.

Although I would suggest having our own figurehead, but certainly not a President because I honestly think we'd be just as bad as the US when it comes time to pick.

3 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

I'd like to know more about the details of the hostile work environment, what the investigation found.

I've worked in several career fields where staff crying is not uncommon.

Governor General: Do we actually need one anyway?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/in-light-of-stark-393k-report-into-ex-gg-payette-pm-reassessing-how-successor-picked-1.5278098

"In an interview on CTV’s Question Period airing on Sunday, LeBlanc said that the report is approximately 125 pages long, includes interviews with staff at Rideau Hall, and will be released in a redacted form to protect the identities of participants. It could be made public as early as next week."

3 hours ago, Violator said:

$140,0000 pension for the rest of her life to.

Yea.... If I could quit my job and still get a 140k/year pension I probably would.  Heck I could even work part time to kill the retirement boredom. 

Salary: CA$288,900 annually

Another bloody overpaid freaking government job to "represent canada, encourage excellence, bring canadians together, act on behalf of the queen and commander in chief (aka flying around and giving out awards and medals to the war vets)"

Biggest mistake Canada ever made was not throwing in with the AMERICANS and kicking out the monarchy in 1776. Past GG Clarkson regularly lobbies for more money. The Euros have cost how many Canadian lives in WW l & WW ll?  Grow up Canada.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Biggest mistake Canada ever made was not throwing in with the AMERICANS and kicking out the monarchy in 1776. Past GG Clarkson regularly lobbies for more money. The Euros have cost how many Canadian lives in WW l & WW ll?  Grow up Canada.

Maybe, but 'throwing" in with the Americans might have resulted in Canada becoming a few American states, so no thank you very much.

Also sitting out ww2 could have resulted in an Axis win, leading to eventual Nazi  dominance, so not a win at all, for us.

22 hours ago, gurn said:

Maybe, but 'throwing" in with the Americans might have resulted in Canada becoming a few American states, so no thank you very much.

Also sitting out ww2 could have resulted in an Axis win, leading to eventual Nazi  dominance, so not a win at all, for us.

There wouldn’t have been a WW ll if Canada and the USA had not been involved in WW l. The Euro monarchies and industrialists sucked everyone in. 

On 1/23/2021 at 8:13 AM, Boudrias said:

Looking at how much of a tire fire it is in the USA, I'm pretty happy with our choice.  I'm pretty happy that we didn't end up joining a country that's been a barbaric ****hole for the vast majority of its history.

On 1/24/2021 at 9:11 AM, Boudrias said:

There wouldn’t have been a WW ll if Canada and the USA had not been involved in WW l. The Euro monarchies and industrialists sucked everyone in. 

Uhh there definitely will be. WWI would have just lasted longer without the Americans or Canadians and will result in the same outcome. There was no way Germany with its incompetent allies are able to outlast the entente. WWI was a war of resources and the entente had way more colonies to pull resources from than Germany, Austria, and the Ottomans.

The only possible difference is if Hitler got KIA during the prolonged fighting. Even without Hitler, probably another ego maniac is gonna rise up in post war Germany.

• Like 1

My buddy and I were discussing this. This paints an odd picture for an ex-astronaut. After all you have to not only be fit, and smart. But you should also be able to be team player. Because you can't do everything yourself, you have to rely on your team and teamwork skills to function effectively. I pointed out a lot of very intelligent people might excel in certain areas, but struggle with interpersonal skills. It just does seem odd. Next thing you know Chris Hadfield was working on top secret space based weapons while he was in orbit. And working on Drax's plan of destroying the world like in Moonraker.