The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has Benning Singlehandedly turned Calgary into a Cup Contender?

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

Cap mismanagement and Jb getting focused on new toys he can’t have.

offered tanev a contract after He realized OEL was out of his capped out league. 
made tanev feel like plan b.

We new markstrom was going to ive out our range too. 
LE sitting on the taxi i squad making what markstrom gets 

toffoli was are answer to scoring depth but a capped out plugged up team with soft bottom 6six overpriced vets. 

We finish out of the playoffs and at the bottom of our division JB will be gone and rightfully so. Most gms don’t get two coaches and 7 years of being terrible. 

• Huggy Bear 2

We over did it trying to bolster the twins final hurrah. That's where we began this LE and over spending. We weren't ready to cut bait instead we overspent  to give them another shot at the playoffs. (Which i knew was unrealistic). But now we have to cut bait at the expense of Petie and Hughes and Bo's prime year(s).  Haven't we been here already? with bottom level d Poulot/del Zotto/ Guddy Holm Biega etc.  filling up contracts and cap space. Losing Tanev exposed our lack of D depth. We need to let Chatter, Rathbone and Joulevi move up. Which is a tall task. No offense to Hammer and Schmidt but we have to stop treading water and relying on bottom type trades to try and stay afloat.

• Thanks 2

nah. all calgary really has are tanev and markstrom. take out tanev blocking 8-10 shots a game will catch up and by playoff time that poor guy's gonna be made of glass and markstrom will be exposed cause no one on that flames team are sacrificing their bodies like tanev does. the real contenders are the canadiens pretty much handing them toffoli

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

On 1/22/2021 at 12:19 AM, *Buzzsaw* said:

Benning either should have signed Marky to an extension in 2019 or traded him for assets.

One or the other.  He didn't... and the result was where we are now.

Same with Tanev.  In fact, as I mentioned, he is paying more now for Nate Schmidt than Tanev is being paid by Calgary.  6 million vs 4.5.  And Benning had to throw in a 3rd rounder to boot.  Complete failure on Bennings part.

Are u ok man? Did Benning steal your girlfriend or wife? 

Benning is a stellar GM. 

We're 6 games into the season. Get a grip. 

What happens to u when u face even the smallest bit of adversity in real life? 

Let's say you're making breakfast and you burn the toast... Do u trade yourself and get super mad for 5 hours over burnt toast? 

Perhaps meditate or find faith in the lord. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 1

Well, if I could look into the future, then I would be able to give a more concrete opinion.......

Because I can not, I can only guess, what is in store for us, which is the only thing that really matters.

It matters more, how Schmidt, Holtby, Demko and cast play long term, than looking to the east and seeing Markstrom, Tanev and Leivo have a good start

Honestly, if it is only a one year thing, than this is the year to make the change. If it turns out to be a disaster, well then, Benning has made a mistake.

I will also say that as a Benning supporter, I am starting to see his accumulated mistakes as an issue, but with all the cap-space coming off next year, it may be

that is when the team really comes together............again, a lot of "ifs", and I have no crystal ball, so I will have to wait and see.

Benning on the other hand, is paid to know these things and make educated and professional decisions, so for me, 

This and next season are his make or break season's.......My prediction, is by next Christmas, if we are have not met our goal of being a contender

I think Benning will be replaced.

At no time, will Calgary's success be the issue. It is what we do that is important.

On 1/22/2021 at 3:53 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

The level of panic on this board is too damn high. 

People are upset I can understand.

But people are talking blow the team up, trade Petey???

Get a grip. 

yur sarcz detector its broke

Nope. Everyone of the Calgary players who left was the right call by Benning. With Demko and Mikey coming up we went with short term pain for long term gain. We were not in the position to sign an aging goalie long term.

Tanev was a warrior for us, but exactly the same deal. He had above average season for his health. He provided the team a reliable defensive pillar, when he played. Benning, and most Canuck fans were full aware that it wasn't right right place to put cap space at this time.

It was a shame that we had to loose both those players, but it was 100% the right move on both counts. Without Marky the team has been struggling obviously. But I would rather struggle short term but have the team come together to win a cup in a few years.

Loosing Tyler to Montreal was a shame, no doubts about it. But that's not what this conversation is about..

So the answer is hard no.

On 1/22/2021 at 4:23 AM, -AJ- said:

Feels like fans who've been a fan for only a few years and haven't faced tough times before. As I'm approaching 20 years as a fan, I think I've learned to be patient and not to panic too much over short term results.

Crazy thing is, a lot of the panicking fans are also long-time fans. I guess some people don't learn.

A-J, what is to learn?

As a 49 year fan I have learned lots, like patience is good, if you are waiting for Jake, OJ or Demko to become  NHL regulars

or Petey and Quinn's body to fill out and match their skill.

Patience is not great if you are waiting for Green, Baumer, Brown , Wonkie Willie and Lidster to become NHL calibre coaches, because you are exposing Jake, OJ and Demmer to inferior developement. 

it is also not great when waiting 6 years for Loui Ericksson's contract to expire, hoping by some magic that he will develope a skin allergy to his equipment and disappear. And Baertschi and Skinner/Ganger and Ferland and Benn and Benning to learn more than scouting .

And I have learned that going to the finals does not equal being the 83 Oilers and that more teams go to the finals at the acme of their careers and the following season will drop off. It is true of all 3 Canuck teams. It is also true for the Hurricanes Blues Lightning (1st cup) and the Panthers and Oilers (2008 version) and even the Bruins that beat us in 2011. Sometimes there isn't a second chance.

Some team will win the Cup this year, and they won't be using Covid as an excuse for having nearly $20M indead cap

BUt I am not panicking, because I have seen the Canucks go down this route before

Maybe Toffoli was the missing piece, but we'll never know now, maybe iswas Schmidt, but without Tanev we still need D that can play D.

The truely sad part of all this is we (and by we I mean Jim)  may waist the first best season of Bo Horvat's career patiently waiting for $20 of cap to re-appear

On 1/22/2021 at 10:42 AM, gurn said:

Agreed

His "overpayments" were mostly from when he had to pay more to get people to come to a non play off team. 

I'd say his signings are getting "better" as the team gets better.

Nobody thought E.P. and Hughes would be so good so fast. The next 2 years see a lot of cap space recovered with a bunch of older guys leaving.

I do not think the facts bear out your assumption

Over pay #1 the player now known as "Wat" was to bolster the Sedins last great hurrah. That contract will end 11 years after the Sedins best before date... ouch

#2 Foundational, was a re-sign

#3 the Gret Neverwas, was traded for a pick Calgary used on their leading D scorer, was not a vet and could likely have been picked up on waivers

#4 was a gamble on a broken player  other GMs avoided

#5 Sam Gagner might fit your desciption of vet,  but like Wat was a player coming off a bounce back year that proved to be his last good blip

#6 Beagledog, fits your description, a little long on the canine

#6A Rosstitoost tooster, also fits but came broken, although in fairness I think he got injured after signing

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Because I can not, I can only guess, what is in store for us, which is the only thing that really matters.

In the hockey world it's actually not that hard to predict the future a few years down the line.

Canucks do not make the playoffs this year. Benning's job is at risk so he gets desperate and next offseason he trades 2 1st round picks and few late round picks and a prospect for either a forward or d-man. On the top of my head he tries to get OEL or a TJ Oshie and mortgages the future.

The team gets better next season but not good enough to make the playoffs. Benning may get fired but soon Horvat, Pettersson, Boesser, and Hughes all get frustrated with the team and requests for a trade or will not resign. Most or all these players leave and the team has to re-build again.

If Benning is not fired he gets desperate again and overpays Free Agents again which leads the same issue we have now.

Causing a vicious cycle in the Organization. 

I could be wrong but I stand by this but If I am wrong feel free to quote me on this anytime.

On 1/21/2021 at 11:49 PM, *Buzzsaw* said:

With the best % record in their division, Jacob Markstrom sitting at a goals against of 1.99 and Chris Tanev playing solidly you have to think Calgary has significantly improved their team defense... one of the weaker points on last year's team.

Even Josh Leivo looks not too bad as a secondary player who can slot in where needed.

Goaltending was a problem with all their previous playoff appearances, but with Markstrom signed for the longterm, you have to wonder if this team can take its next step.

All thanks to Jim Bennings decisions.

Calgary is and was further along the developmental path than us despite our 2nd round playoff appearance last season.    Hence, the signings of Markstrom and Tanev making more sense for them.   Calgary is in their 'window' right now while the Canucks are still transitioning from their 'transitional' vets that aided us during our rebuild (i.e. guys like Eriksson, Sutter, etc.).    The Canucks will enter their real window once Pettersson and Hughes are extended along with those 'transitional' contracts coming off the books.    

Next season:   https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

1) Sutter, Pearson, Baertschi, and Edler will be off the books.

2) Hughes and Pettersson will be extended

3) Horvat, Boeser, and Miller will still be on relatively good contracts

4) With one year remaining and two million in real dollars owed, Eriksson could very realistically be moved similar to how Marc Staal was moved to Detroit.   

5) Podkolzin will be here.

Progression usually isn't linear.   The Canucks missed the playoffs in 2007/08 after having had an impressive and unexpected 2nd round appearance a year prior.    We all know what happened after that 07-08 season.......our best 5 year stretch in franchise history.    

Be patient and enjoy the ride.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tracksuit said:

Cap mismanagement and Jb getting focused on new toys he can’t have.

offered tanev a contract after He realized OEL was out of his capped out league. 
made tanev feel like plan b.

We new markstrom was going to ive out our range too. 
LE sitting on the taxi i squad making what markstrom gets 

toffoli was are answer to scoring depth but a capped out plugged up team with soft bottom 6six overpriced vets. 

We finish out of the playoffs and at the bottom of our division JB will be gone and rightfully so. Most gms don’t get two coaches and 7 years of being terrible. 

1) Signing Tanev to a 4 year deal likely would have had short term benefits only.   Tanev's injury free season last year was an anomaly, and his body will likely continue to break down given his style of play.   Tryamkin is likely slated to be our Chris Tanev replacement.      

2) The Canucks tried to keep Toffoli as they were reportedly trying to shop Boeser to receive assets.  Unfortunately, the Canucks didn't like the low ball offers they were receiving.  Podkolzin being in our system nullified the need to have both Toffoli and Boeser since Benning sees Podkolzin being a lock for our top 6.   

Basically,

Podkolzin = Toffoli replacement

Tryamkin = Tanev replacement

Demko = Markstrom replacement (although this may take a little time).

Schmidt = Edler replacement

Hoglander = Pearson replacement

Be patient, sit back, and enjoy the road.   Progression isn't a linear process.    Our 2007-08 season was worse than our 06-07 season, and look what happened after that.

On 1/22/2021 at 10:03 AM, mll said:

It played a role according to Satiar Shah.   There are bad contracts on the team but cash flow and spending is also an issue.  Benning always said he wanted to keep Toffoli and that the trade cost was worth it as they had long term in mind.  He tried hard to move unwanted contracts but found no takers.  He then looked to create room by buying out contracts.  Ownership did not give the green light for a buyout.  With no Toffoli he then signed Virtanen.  

There’s been cash savings behind the scenes with layoffs and salary reductions.  Utica is now being shared with St Louis for the season.  

Several of the player contracts had low salaries for this season because it was projected to be a lockout year.  With how some contracts have been structured they are spending under the cap in actual salaries. Horvat 5.5M cap hit but only 3.5M in salary this year with last season and next season at 5.75M.  If they didn’t get that unforeseen help who knows if they would have even used up all their cap space.

Dhaliwal and Drance have also mentioned cash flow issues earlier in the off-season.  

I highly suspect that the Canucks were trying to move Boeser so that they could keep Toffoli.   My guess is that the by moving Boeser, the Canucks would have been abe to clear cap space while recouping the pick (1st) and prospect (Madden) lost in the Miller and Toffoli deals respectively.    The Nucks moved on from Toffoli once they realized that the market for Boeser was much lower than expected (i.e. teams trying to low ball the Nucks).    

My guess is that the Canucks wanted to roll with Toffoli, Podkolzin, and Virtanen as long term options on the right side.

42 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I highly suspect that the Canucks were trying to move Boeser so that they could keep Toffoli.   My guess is that the by moving Boeser, the Canucks would have been abe to clear cap space while recouping the pick (1st) and prospect (Madden) lost in the Miller and Toffoli deals respectively.    The Nucks moved on from Toffoli once they realized that the market for Boeser was much lower than expected (i.e. teams trying to low ball the Nucks).    

My guess is that the Canucks wanted to roll with Toffoli, Podkolzin, and Virtanen as long term options on the right side.

That's a pretty bad idea because Boeser is much younger than Toffoli. Podkolzin is unproven (so far) and Virtanen is not really that reliable.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

That's a pretty bad idea because Boeser is much younger than Toffoli. Podkolzin is unproven (so far) and Virtanen is not really that reliable.

I don't necessarily disagree but consider the following:

1) The Canucks received zero assets in return when Toffoli walked other than cap space.   By contrast, the Canucks would have received sizeable assets for Boeser (in theory at least - the Canucks were rumoured to have tried but didn't like offers being thrown at us).

2) Virtanen likely won't develop into a top 6 forward but he still has a reasonable shot of being a good bottom 6 winger (and could be paid accordingly in the long run....meaning, a low cap hit).

3) Agreed with you on Podkolzin but Benning and company really seem to be high on him.   

10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Calgary is not a cup contender until they replace all 6 of their top six forwards with men. 

Hate to say this but I might have to disagree here.     I despise Calgary as much as the next guy but they've got a really good team.    They pushed Dallas last year just as hard as Colorado did.      Tanev is an upgrade on Hamonic while Markstrom addressed their biggest hole.   While I believe those contracts will hurt Calgary in the long term, there's no denying that Calgary is a dangerous team in 2021.