The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has Benning Singlehandedly turned Calgary into a Cup Contender?

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

Flames had a good team during the season and choked post-season.

also : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

Markie a great goalie and we knew that and no surprise there , we had cap issues and it was a hard but a reasonable move to let him sign elsewhere.

overall of course we lost good players to them but long-term it was a right call.

still aches to lose a top goalie as it should.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Seems to be the norm of the quick over-reactionary threads.

Been a lot of that the last week or so....

You'd think the CDC would learn after hot takes on things like the Miller trade, the laughable, sheer panick at the beginning of free agency etc, etc, etc...

Remind me never to rely on most of CDC during a crisis :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Calgary has played 4 less games than Vancouver. It's only going to take one Vancouver loss and Calgary win, for people to over-react again. 

I have to say Bieksa endeared himself to me even more, when he said on HNIC there was no way he would have signed in Calgary. There was too much

animosity and bad blood in the Vancouver/Calgary games. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

22 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Seems to be the norm of the quick over-reactionary threads.

Funny how these things go....maybe we should all pick one player to complain about, could help the team out lol.   Surprised we didn't see a thread about how bad Sutter is the game before his hat trick.    CAL is 2-1 - going to win the cup and it's JBs fault...three games in.   Now we are ahead of them (not that they can't catch up, because really they should)....Just to "help" JV is garbage,  Motte is just lucky, not really what we need,  and Myers is overpaid one million dollars for every inch over 6'5".....

Edited by IBatch

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Calgary has played 4 less games than Vancouver. It's only going to take one Vancouver loss and Calgary win, for people to over-react again. 

I have to say Bieksa endeared himself to me even more, when he said on HNIC there was no way he would have signed in Calgary. There was too much

Like that Bieksa said this.   I'm sure he remembers that game where Torts went ballistic well, he stepped in and fought a better opponent just to keep the rookie safer (class act)... Have to wonder if Markstrom signed elsewhere if Tanev would have followed, i'm thinking maybe not.    There was a time when Calgary was our biggest division rival in the late 80's early 90's.    To me at least, the history repeated itself makes for excellent hockey for both teams Marsktrom, Tanev and Leivo plus this years division change is for sure kindling to re-ignite that fire.   Myers punching MT - good stuff.   McEwen better brush up on his boxing skills.   Lucic/McEwen isn't like Sandman/Gino but it's something ....  Otto kicked it in.    No cup for them if it wasn't for that one play plus Vernon's heriocs. 

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The way I see it, we're going to have ups and downs just like any other team. It's too early to tell whether we'll be good or bad. I kind of predict it'll go back and forth with Calgary in the standings, just based on the skill level of both teams. I guess we'll see if I'm right about that or not. lol

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

How did I miss out on this thread. A Buzzsaw classic. I would have laughed then and I’m laughing now 

I feel like Buzzsaw threads are made to make people buzz more than they are to provide logical reasoning. lol

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/21/2021 at 11:49 PM, *Buzzsaw* said:

With the best % record in their division, Jacob Markstrom sitting at a goals against of 1.99 and Chris Tanev playing solidly you have to think Calgary has significantly improved their team defense... one of the weaker points on last year's team.

Even Josh Leivo looks not too bad as a secondary player who can slot in where needed.

Goaltending was a problem with all their previous playoff appearances, but with Markstrom signed for the longterm, you have to wonder if this team can take its next step.

All thanks to Jim Bennings decisions.

Congrats. This is my first "sinking trawler" for this season:

regards,  G.

• Haha 1

On 1/22/2021 at 9:49 AM, *Buzzsaw* said:

Goaltending was a problem with all their previous playoff appearances, but with Markstrom signed for the longterm, you have to wonder if this team can take its next step.

If Tanev keeps on scoring from the own zone, it may happen.

https://www.nhl.com/video/tanev-scores-from-own-blueline/t-283031296/c-7393787