The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has Benning Singlehandedly turned Calgary into a Cup Contender?

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

Markstrom was not the goaltender the team was investing in and it was well known. Markstrom knew Demko was the future before the season ended.

Tanev is slowing down and losing agility he was not worth the 4 year commitment.

How the team could not move Eriksson out is a problem and Toffoli ( I said from the get go ) needed to be retained.

End of the day it wasn't JB that lost Tanev and Markstrom. They were not in the plans.

• Like 1

JB: so... Marky, do you mind taking a pay cut with your next contract? We really need to re-sign Jake, and we still gotta pay Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Baertschi and some guy named Spooner..

JM:  uh No, I was your team MVP last year and a consideration for the Vezina. I'm in my prime Jim, don't get cheap on me. 

JB: hmm, but Jake...

JM: My name is Jacob. Goodbye. (click)

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

JB: so... Marky, do you mind taking a pay cut with your next contract? We really need to re-sign Jake, and we still gotta pay Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Baertschi and some guy named Spooner..

JM:  uh No, I was your team MVP last year and a consideration for the Vezina. I'm in my prime Jim, don't get cheap on me. 

JB: hmm, but Jake...

JM: My name is Jacob. Goodbye. (click)

Markstrom left because of term, Demko and the ED, not cap.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/23/2021 at 3:25 PM, King Heffy said:

Calgary is not a cup contender until they replace all 6 of their top six forwards with men. 

I just have to ask, what is the difference between Johney Hockey, Quinny Hockey and Petey Hockey?

4 minutes ago, lmm said:

I just have to ask, what is the difference between Johney Hockey, Quinny Hockey and Petey Hockey?

A lot of years.  Hockey Boy is in his prime; the other two are still developing and are already better in P/O games.:towel:

50 minutes ago, DSVII said:

He turned Pittsburgh into one with the Bonino trade ;) but even with Marky and Tanev Calgary still has issues.

But it pains me we indirectly helped them address their biggest need in net since losing Kipper

Yeah, can you imagine how good that Pittsburgh team would have been if they had had guys like Crosby or Malkin?  :P

regards,  G.

• Haha 1

On 2/9/2021 at 1:54 PM, DSVII said:

He turned Pittsburgh into one with the Bonino trade ;) but even with Marky and Tanev Calgary still has issues.

But it pains me we indirectly helped them address their biggest need in net since losing Kipper

Pittsburgh was a contender long before Bonino came along. They won a cup in 2009 and were still a contender in between that year and the next cups. They just didn't happen to get to the finals during that time.

It's not always about us you know. I know people want to bash Benning every chance they get at times, but let's not get unrealistic about it either. Bonino helped Pittsburgh, but he didn't single-handedly turn them into a contender.

Edited by The Lock

Losing the players we lost were because of cap issues.

We had cap issues because of some of the contract we have that are undesirable.

We have undesirable contracts because of previous poor drafting and having noone ready to step into those positions

, thus having to rely on Ufa's. 

I am willing to blame gmjb for Loui though. I knew that was going to be a bad one.

This team cannot really move forward until we clear out those contracts (rooster, beagle, Sutter, LE) 

Then when we do hopefully our young players are ready to step into those roles. Then they still need to develop once there in the NHL. 

Were still 5yrs out.

Edited by erkayloomeh