The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Convert Loui to D?

Rate this topic

VforVasili

Given our situation, wouldn't it make sense to convert one of our most experienced and defence minded forwards into playing Defence until we get some veterans back?

What do folks think would be better or worse than using a rookie laden AHL defence lineup like we may have to on Saturday?

• Haha 1

Even a forward in his prime would have difficulty making the transition.  There's a reason why it rarely happens in the NHL.  Heck, a far easier move (defenseman to winger) isn't itself done alot.  Now you're asking a guy who's best years behind him make that major a switch?

Not impossible, but a little late in his career now.

There were a couple of times the Canucks did move a forward to play defense (usually due to in-game injuries).  Alex Burrows was apparently pretty decent at it.  Mike Santorelli was surprisingly pretty okay at it as well.  

Brent Burns was drafted originally as a forward IIRC, but Jacque Martin immediately switched him to play defense.  Then there was Sergei Fedorov that probably could have switched to defense too.  

Remember we lost game one in the playoffs - then LE came back and we won five in a row.... lol.   Desperate times need desperate measures but the OP is going way over board.   LE doesn’t like contact remember? 

Just give him a game and put Hogs with AG.... see how it goes 

Edited by IBatch

I mean, forwards play d all the time on the power play. What’s the worst that could happen?

This is the best kind of idea. 

It almost certainly will never happen and then I have brought some hilarity and mirth in these dark times. 

If it does by some fluke happen, I will look like Nostradamus.