The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NBCSN to shut down by the end of the year

-Vintage Canuck-

Hmmm. it did seem like the plan was to have several rights holders including NBC for games.... I guess this will make one less bidder.

I am really interested to see if one of the streaming giants is going to take a swing at a sports league.  It really seems like a good fit.  They need to have a way to keep subscribers, so they keep needing new content.  It would mean local Broadcast deals would have to accomodate having games shown on the streaming service as well.... or the streaming service has to be able to geoblock their content by broadcast market and if they are showing a New York - Philly game, they may need to geoblock it out of one of those markets due to other broadcasting rights.  

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

I am really interested to see if one of the streaming giants is going to take a swing at a sports league. 

How would that work with the NHL already having sold broadcast rights to individual networks such as Rogers in Canada until 2026?  I'm not aware of any major online streaming company bidding on a product they cannot have exclusive rights over - but there could always be a first I suppose.   

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

How would that work with the NHL already having sold broadcast rights to individual networks such as Rogers in Canada until 2026?  I'm not aware of any major online streaming company bidding on a product they cannot have exclusive rights over - but there could always be a first I suppose.   

Actually I produce films and they do buy licences for specific countries separately.  It is easy for them to buy just the US and/or global (except Canada) rights.  If you look a the Netflix US library  for example, it is much different than the Netflix Canada library.