The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 23, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | CBC, SN, CITY, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, Schmutzhaken said:

I was born Fall 1995, that’s a sad stat. This is the worst Canucks team in my life apparently :wacko: 

Funny how none of us expected this. Pete’s gonna come around, and the team will improve. I have a feeling they’re just a little scattered because of the character losses in the room. 

Worst team in your life so far. 

3FDFE7E2-D36C-42ED-9514-3109EB81506E.gif

2 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

It’s not my thoughts that matter, it’s the on ice product. I’m being realistic at this point, Marky and Tanev covered up a lot of problems. Vegas exposed those and the only reason it went to 7 was unbelievable play by Demko. The same problems the past 2 seasons are very apparent this year but we don’t have an all-star goaltender bailing us out. It sucks but it’s the facts of the matter. 

Agree.  Can't blame the coach for that right now though.  Until the bad contracts come off the table, it will be tough to improve.  I don't blame JB enough to want him gone though.  He inherited a disaster that needed to overpay players to rebuild.  LE was always an overpayment, but one that we wouldn't have minded if he actually played half-decently.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

That would be stupid of Aquaman to do anyway, it's not JB's there was a cap freeze this year because of Covid, people need to give their head a shake, had the cap gone up as projected TT would still be here and second line would have pulled the slack enough to win especially in our first games this season.. people need to relax! lol

Hang on here a second. When you’re a team who just broke out of multiple lottery ball seasons, the only salary cap issues you should be dealing with is reaching the cap floor. A lot of people predicted the Canucks would be in this position after multiple years of dumb UFA signings and here we are. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

20 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

We got the the conference finals due to Green and what he did with what he had. He made terrific decisions on line changes and mixing lines up at correct moments to get wins. 

Benning on the other hand signed King Louie to 6x6 million when everyone in the hockey world said this would be an awful deal when it happened

bull$&!#... no one knew a guy who would score 30 goals for the B's would fail with 2 of the best players to put on a Canucks jersey... anyone who puts that on someone other than on the shoulders of anyone but LE is a fool... and if you think anyone saw this scenario coming before it happened is lying... the media from what I saw was saying he would fit with the Sedins great so I don't know who your referring to but I'd love to know who said it..

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Agree.  Can't blame the coach for that right now though.  Until the bad contracts come off the table, it will be tough to improve.  I don't blame JB enough to want him gone though.  He inherited a disaster that needed to overpay players to rebuild.  LE was always an overpayment, but one that we wouldn't have minded if he actually played half-decently.

I don’t blame JB either, but it’s difficult to not put some blame on green. Watching the systems play out is painful, and they aren’t working. But he refuses to change them.

If the team turns it around I’ll admit I was wrong but I’m losing faith now. Still, I’ll watch every game this season.

Edited by Petey40

5 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Ya but.  Guys the same age include Horvat 25, Pearson 28, Demko 25, Ferland 28, Bailey 25, Michaelis 25, Raffety 25,

And guys close are Hamonic 30, Chatfield 24, Myers 30, MacEwen 24, Gaudette 24, Virtanen 24, 

Actually Motte could still improve but point being is our talent including Horvat will only get better and our player on the back end of their careers including Myers, Hamonic are 1-2 years past.

Ferland has probably played his last game so not counting him

Demko, Gauds , Jake, Mac are still improving. The rest on the list are mainly AHL'ers IMO or not "foundation" players B)

3 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

bull$&!#... no one knew a guy who would score 30 goals for the B's would fail with 2 of the best players to put on a Canucks jersey... anyone who puts that on someone other than on the shoulders of anyone but LE is a fool... and if you think anyone saw this scenario coming before it happened is lying... the media from what I saw was saying he would fit with the Sedins great so I don't know who your referring to but I'd love to know who said it..

Lots of people here didn't like the LE signing just like they didn't like the Tyler Myers contract.

• Like 1

They are not a very good team. They have a defence that has a lot fewer than 6 bona fide NHLers on it. The players have not been playing well

This is what I want to see...effort. Forwards going all the way back into the D-zone. D and F playing like a unit, not the Fs all way up ice. Cover for a D that pinches at the offensive blueline

There is very little of that - in my opinion, I sense there is some dysfunction with this group. Not sure what it is, but when you don't play with effort, and you play as individuals not a unit, there is something wrong. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

I'm not sure folks are seeing how BORING this year must be for players due to how Covid / pandemic has screwed up everything for the past year and part of two seasons.

Last season was impacted by the pandemic, which split the season apart and then changed how the playoffs were played. The regular season was shorted by 12 games and the playoff run that usually get teams going lost momentum. First *Covid Stanley Cup!

This season, there are no fans / playing in empty arenas and a shortened 56 game season with a realigned league and divisions. The players will be allowed to be joined by their immediate families in the hub city beginning with the conference final and the Stanley Cup Final - or not for months!

In the past teams would travel, play hockey in front of screaming fans, and play against all 31 teams. This year the Canucks only play against the eight Canadian teams in the North Division.  - BORING!

When you have to play the Montreal Canadians NINE times with 3 in a row - who is going to get excited??

I don't know how you guys get excited about hockey this year with only seeing the Canucks playing 7 other teams 9 times. Even if they win the division and go into the playoffs this will still be a *Covid year. I think that really messes with players motivation to play for this year. I definitely plays with my interest in watching them!

//End rant

well said, i wouldn't show up for $4M/year under these inhumane circumstances either.

3 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Hang on here a second. When you’re a team who just broke out of multiple lottery ball seasons, the only salary cap issues you should be dealing with is reaching the cap floor. A lot of people predicted the Canucks would be in this position after multiple years of dumb UFA signings and here we are. 

those dumb UFA signings helped our young guys play with experienced vets and it already paid of last season and look how far we got... and we only lost to Vegas because our D hadn't been rebuilt yet.. 

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

#FireBenning trending on Canucks twitter.

The irony of fans pressuring for a management change is that fans pressuring for a management change, "fire Gillis", in part led us to Benning in the first place. 

Benning is a genius.

Something else is going on. 

The team hasn’t had time to gel in any way and may have been a bit arrogant coming out of the gates. 

The loss of Tanev, Markstrom and Toffoli burns big. However, in time, the Canucks are going to be a force. 

• Like 1