The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 23, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | CBC, SN, CITY, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

36 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

So we get rid of our core players ? You make no sense. At the end of the day the coaches are teaching these guys what to do and not to do on the ice. If they can’t execute and the players aren’t buying into it then the coaches have got to go. Simple as that. 

i can't agree more...these guys aren't focus....again, it's pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-(try to shoot but don't commit to it)-pass-pass-pass....they are forgetting how many passes they need to make in a row!  you can't expect to win if you cant pass to each other until the clock runs out or until the other team scores on you.

• Cheers 1

Some of the turnovers are definitely on the players, but some of it seems due to the predictability of the system. The other team always seems one step ahead of us, and it's not hard to be since we make the same breakouts, same neutral zone plays, and same zone entries almost exclusively. There's no creativity or dynamic quality to our team.

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Benning is a genius.

Something else is going on. 

The team hasn’t had time to gel in any way and may have been a bit arrogant coming out of the gates. 

The loss of Tanev, Markstrom and Toffoli burns big. However, in time, the Canucks are going to be a force. 

I think losing those three is huge - bigger than people expected. They are all key pieces that without them are exposing weaknesses. Lack of defensive pairs, lack of cohesive lines, inexperienced goalie.

2 minutes ago, rychicken said:

They are not a very good team. They have a defence that has a lot fewer than 6 bona fide NHLers on it. The players have not been playing well

This is what I want to see...effort. Forwards going all the way back into the D-zone. D and F playing like a unit, not the Fs all way up ice. Cover for a D that pinches at the offensive blueline

There is very little of that - in my opinion, I sense there is some dysfunction with this group. Not sure what it is, but when you don't play with effort, and you play as individuals not a unit, there is something wrong. 

Ironically, it's not the rookie d men that are the problem. Both Chatfield and Juolevi have played pretty good, It's Hughes, and Schmidt's brutal plays that are literally costing us games. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, iceman64 said:

those dumb UFA signings helped our young guys play with experienced vets and it already paid of last season and look how far we got... and we only lost to Vegas because our D hadn't been rebuilt yet.. 

There is some validity to this narrative, however, we let the ones that made a difference walk and kept the ones who don’t. That’s pretty apparent on the scoreboard. If Beagle, Sutter and Myers are that influential then why do we look like a mess out there? Guys like tanev and even stetch competed hard which was infectious. Markstrom gave the team the confidence to take chances. He is also extremely competitive. What we are left with isn’t leadership.  

1 minute ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Yeah they do get paid a lot of money. I still think that playing in empty rinks with no fans cheering for 56 games and not seeing their family the whole time is got to weigh on their heads. 

yeah, the players association is probably ginning up "hazard pay" scheme so the millionaires could get a bit more under these unprecedented times.

Just now, dougieL said:

Some of the turnovers are definitely on the players, but some of it seems due to the predictability of the system. The other team always seems one step ahead of us, and it's not hard to be since we make the same breakouts, same neutral zone plays, and same zone entries almost exclusively. There's no creativity or dynamic quality to our team.

Part of the predictability is we never played teams 3x in a row on the same week! Playing the same teams 9 times when many of them we'd only play 2 times in the past, changes the whole season.

8 minutes ago, rychicken said:

They are not a very good team. They have a defence that has a lot fewer than 6 bona fide NHLers on it. The players have not been playing well

This is what I want to see...effort. Forwards going all the way back into the D-zone. D and F playing like a unit, not the Fs all way up ice. Cover for a D that pinches at the offensive blueline

There is very little of that - in my opinion, I sense there is some dysfunction with this group. Not sure what it is, but when you don't play with effort, and you play as individuals not a unit, there is something wrong. 

No way we can  know for sure but when an entire team is lacking effort and execution, it can often  be a case of them  being asked to olay a style or system they do  not  buy into.  

Just now, DS4quality said:

Ironically, it's not the rookie d men that are the problem. Both Chatfield and Juolevi have played pretty good, It's Hughes, and Schmidt's brutal plays that are literally costing us games. 

Hughes, defensively is still a rookie, but agree Schmidt is way better then he's played so far.

Hamonic was pretty brutal before his was injured too.

Juolevi has been the beacon of light through this black cloud right now. smart plays and his skating has improved 10 fold. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Well, at .286 P% we are the worst team in the league, fits well with our -13 goals for/against.

Recent history suggests if we fire our coach now we’d win the cup, oddly in the prediction thread I predicted if we fire Green before game 30 we’d win the cup and before you call me dumb, I’d like to point out I am leading the game prediction league.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Haha 1

If I were a betting man, I would say the Assistant coaches will get the axe to send a message to everyone.  Then Green and Benning will be on a short leash.  If they still still can’t pull it together after 10 to 15 games, Green is History.  And then Benning’s future will be decided in the off season.

Biggest worry is 40 looks very unhappy - not just frustrated, unhappy. I think he misses the teammates that were let go and is doubting the competence and fairness of the manager. What does it say when a guy like Stetcher works his butt off and they won’t pay him. Or Tanev the warrior who dove in front of pucks regularly. And not having money to pay Toffoli was pure mismanagement. Sutter, Erickson, Beagle, Rousel ,  and the concussion guy contracts are  ridiculous. Everyone makes mistakes but Benning has crippled the club at a crucial time when two stars are on entry contracts. Benning is incompetent and the only worse businessman is Aquaman who extended him.

• Haha 2

Just now, T-Bo said:

If I were a betting man, I would say the Assistant coaches will get the axe to send a message to everyone.  Then Green and Benning will be on a short leash.  If they still still can’t pull it together after 10 to 15 games, Green is History.  And then Benning’s future will be decided in the off season.

Who are the assistant coaches then during the quarantine period?

Just now, davidgoliath said:

Biggest worry is 40 looks very unhappy - not just frustrated, unhappy. I think he misses the teammates that were let go and is doubting the competence and fairness of the manager. What does it say when a guy like Stetcher works his butt off and they won’t pay him. Or Tanev the warrior who dove in front of pucks regularly. And not having money to pay Toffoli was pure mismanagement. Sutter, Erickson, Beagle, Rousel ,  and the concussion guy contracts are  ridiculous. Everyone makes mistakes but Benning has crippled the club at a crucial time when two stars are on entry contracts. Benning is incompetent and the only worse businessman is Aquaman who extended him.

Lol the concussion guy?

Are you even a fan?

• Cheers 1