The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 23, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | CBC, SN, CITY, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

20 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

There is some validity to this narrative, however, we let the ones that made a difference walk and kept the ones who don’t. That’s pretty apparent on the scoreboard. If Beagle, Sutter and Myers are that influential then why do we look like a mess out there? Guys like tanev and even stetch competed hard which was infectious. Markstrom gave the team the confidence to take chances. He is also extremely competitive. What we are left with isn’t leadership.  

That's the thing, we don't need it anymore... and if your not aware of a certain thing, be happy to let you in on it.. for whatever reason and it's been like this for as long as I can remember, we always have to overpay people to play here and even some flat out said no way will I play in Vancouver so it's not as easy as some make it out to be to build a team here but that's finally changed now that we actually have players who other guys would love to play with but it's not been easy, believe me, I've watched since 74 and it was much worse.. at least we 1-2 years away from icing a team that will actually go somewhere and not some top regular season cream puff team that can't get anywhere near past the first/second round with only 2 exceptions. If people want that kind of team, we'll look where it got us, no cup but thankfully as it irks some people at least he had the nads to rip it down, could he have done better? maybe... ok probably but he was new too.. 

Edited by iceman64

16 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

I think losing those three is huge - bigger than people expected. They are all key pieces that without them are exposing weaknesses. Lack of defensive pairs, lack of cohesive lines, inexperienced goalie.

Agree. All management issues. There must be half a dozen hockey people who could replace Benning and raise this team. Benning’s a disaster.

• Cheers 1

Lets put aside who is to blame for a moment.

In this half arse hockey season, due to covid and the weird divisional alignment we will never see again(hopefully), is it the worst thing if this team gets another top 10 pick in a year that is rich with defensive prospects.  This team needs another stud d in the pipleline imho and this is a good as year as any to get another high end d man.

That said, my only concern is...will we be another Oiler style team that goes through multiple cores before we are relevant again. Even Colorado looked like they were on the cusp a few years ago only to regress for a few years (Think of Duchesne moving on) . Are we going to go through that? Is Bo Horvat going to be the hemsky/horcoff/duchesne style casualty in our core because all the pieces of the puzzle didnt fall in place in time?  He is in his prime right now.  If we arent 'going for it' right now will guys like Miller/Horvat etc be fodder?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

9 minutes ago, davidgoliath said:

Biggest worry is 40 looks very unhappy - not just frustrated, unhappy. I think he misses the teammates that were let go and is doubting the competence and fairness of the manager. What does it say when a guy like Stetcher works his butt off and they won’t pay him. Or Tanev the warrior who dove in front of pucks regularly. And not having money to pay Toffoli was pure mismanagement. Sutter, Erickson, Beagle, Rousel ,  and the concussion guy contracts are  ridiculous. Everyone makes mistakes but Benning has crippled the club at a crucial time when two stars are on entry contracts. Benning is incompetent and the only worse businessman is Aquaman who extended him.

I agree on the entire team missing those guys.  You cant replace 3 guys that bled Canuck blue.  Its had a huge effect on the team and i hope everyone on this board now understands you cant win with other teams players.  But i think something else is bothering Petey.  He doesnt make the mistakes hes been making so far.  

7 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

I agree on the entire team missing those guys.  You cant replace 3 guys that bled Canuck blue.  Its had a huge effect on the team and i hope everyone on this board now understands you cant win with other teams players.  But i think something else is bothering Petey.  He doesnt make the mistakes hes been making so far.  

Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if Pettersson is actually upset with management. Boy, if there's a rift between him and management, could it be possible he could want out? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Silky mitts said:

How much more should us fans endure &^@#ing &^@# benning 

It's still early. 

But there's a fine line in the league here. 2-5, and jobs are on thin ice, but "safe" for the time being. 

If the team is 2-10? 

I think heads begin to roll, and the season is at a lost at that point. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

That's the thing, we don't need it anymore... and if your not aware of a certain thing, be happy to let you in on it.. for whatever reason and it's been like this for as long as I can remember, we always have to overpay people to play here and even some flat out said no way will I play in Vancouver so it's not as easy as some make it out to be to build a team here but that's finally changed now that we actually have players who other guys would love to play with but it's not been easy, believe me, I've watched since 74 and it was much worse.. at least we 1-2 years away from icing a team that will actually go somewhere and not some top regular season cream puff team that can't get anywhere near past the first/second round with only 2 exceptions. If people want that kind of team, we'll look where it got us, no cup but thankfully as it irks some people at least he had the nads to rip it down, could he have done better? maybe... ok probably but he was new too.. 

I’ve used this example before but imagine Benning is your portfolio manager. You give him $70-80M a year for 7 years. Your portfolio is full of great stocks with good upside and some really bad ones that are dragging the gains you made on the good ones down. The economic environment has already decimated your wealth and now your investment is nose diving. How long do you let it underperform before you look for someone else to manage your money? The feel goods or the “awe shucks” kinda disappear when you put yourself in managements shoes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CptCanuck16 said:

The playoffs weren't that great. They beat STL because they aren't overly aggressive on D and Marky stood on his head. Our skilled guys had time and space to make plays.. As soon as they matched up against an aggressive team in the VGK it all fell apart. This team doesn't do well against aggressive teams because they don't employ a system that encourages puck support. As soon as the lone man is pressured he coughs up the puck or makes a bad stretch pass because there is no one else around to pass to. 

This!!!! Vegas fed us our lunch no matter how many games it went. Completely outclassed 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, rychicken said:

They are not a very good team. They have a defence that has a lot fewer than 6 bona fide NHLers on it. The players have not been playing well

This is what I want to see...effort. Forwards going all the way back into the D-zone. D and F playing like a unit, not the Fs all way up ice. Cover for a D that pinches at the offensive blueline

There is very little of that - in my opinion, I sense there is some dysfunction with this group. Not sure what it is, but when you don't play with effort, and you play as individuals not a unit, there is something wrong. 

Essentially they have a number 2 that cant play defense and gets owned defensively, a 35 yr old number 3 that should be playing limited minutes, and 3 number 4s.  The defense doesnt have a leader that can put the team on their back and do it all.  Honestly, Tanev was one of the best dmen weve ever had and no one in the pipeline is going to play with the heart he did.

2 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Essentially they have a number 2 that cant play defense and gets owned defensively, a 35 yr old number 3 that should be playing limited minutes, and 3 number 4s.  The defense doesnt have a leader that can put the team on their back and do it all.  Honestly, Tanev was one of the best dmen weve ever had and no one in the pipeline is going to play with the heart he did.

Yeah, losing Tanev hurt this team more than management thought it would. 

And your right. He was the  heart and soul of the defensive corps unit. Now Calgary has our warrior, and the Canucks are lost without him defensively. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, EddieVedder said:

Agree. Vegas owned us and basically showed the league how to make Hughes ineffective.

Yep. and now it seems everyone else has taken steps to watch video on how Vegas did it, and made Hughes look to be mostly ineffective. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

I’ve used this example before but imagine Benning is your portfolio manager. You give him $70-80M a year for 7 years. Your portfolio is full of great stocks with good upside and some really bad ones that are dragging the gains you made on the good ones down. The economic environment has already decimated your wealth and now your investment is nose diving. How long do you let it underperform before you look for someone else to manage your money? The feel goods or the “awe shucks” kinda disappear when you put yourself in managements shoes.

Well that's not the only thing either, for most of the franchise history it's been "sell the farm" win it all now? Well I'd love to know how that works when you have next to no depth.. and because of fan pressure for the most part, that's the road we ended up on, I don't know about you but after all the time of being a fan I was considering just dropping the nux altogether but then JB came along and I decided to stay around to see if the team was rebuilt and it was/is, no it's not there yet and people should stop thinking we're anything less than a couple of seasons away from being the team we want to see if we can shore up our D and have our bottom six performing good, hopefully Podz comes in makes our 3rd line into something really potent OR slides in with Bo on 2nd.. things just aren't as bad as people are saying... but hey this is the CDC and media driven and we know how that is.. 

13 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if Pettersson is actually upset with management. Boy, if there's a rift between him and management, could it be possible he could want out? 

Doubt that, but i know Marky was like a big bro to him.  Stetch was one of his best friends.  Hes either injured or mentally something outside the game is affecting him.  Hes physically not handling the puck or skating like he has been since he got here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's all good... There'll always be a next season ans hopefully with fans in attendance like normal!! 

Looks like Green is done...  The management can conveniently skip all extension talks... We might trade Boeser to free up cap space to keep Petey and Hughes! Never too early to plan ahead! 

1 minute ago, EddieVedder said:

Doubt that, but i know Marky was like a big bro to him.  Stetch was one of his best friends.  Hes either injured or mentally something outside the game is affecting him.  Hes physically not handling the puck or skating like he has been since he got here.

How could he be injured? He's been in Vancouver all this time, and he's been in quarantine (or should've been) before the season started. 

And if he is injured, then why is there no reports about it?