The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 23, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | CBC, SN, CITY, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

25 minutes ago, Darius said:

Lets put aside who is to blame for a moment.

In this half arse hockey season, due to covid and the weird divisional alignment we will never see again(hopefully), is it the worst thing if this team gets another top 10 pick in a year that is rich with defensive prospects.  This team needs another stud d in the pipleline imho and this is a good as year as any to get another high end d man.

That said, my only concern is...will we be another Oiler style team that goes through multiple cores before we are relevant again. Even Colorado looked like they were on the cusp a few years ago only to regress for a few years (Think of Duchesne moving on) . Are we going to go through that? Is Bo Horvat going to be the hemsky/horcoff/duchesne style casualty in our core because all the pieces of the puzzle didnt fall in place in time?  He is in his prime right now.  If we arent 'going for it' right now will guys like Miller/Horvat etc be fodder?

I am OK with a down year for the reasons you state, nor am not convinced that Horvat will still be in his prime when this team is a contender 

I feel we are on more of a pretender trajectory right now.  We have some bright spots but we have some huge holes too

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yep. and now it seems everyone else has taken steps to watch video on how Vegas did it, and made Hughes look to be mostly ineffective. 

I keep saying it.. look at what Tampa and St Louis won with on the backend.  They had horses who could play any style.  Look at Vegas, Col and Montreal now.  We arent winning with a backend with soft dmen who cant play defense.  Benning needs to find those 2way horses that can play with intensity (like Edler used to be)  if we are getting anywhere.  

• Cheers 1

So much negativity here. Let’s celebrate that Tofolli didn’t score a goal and only had an assist :) I have to admit that I’m surprised that JB’s replacements for D and goalie are not coming close to replacing Markie and Tanev. We can blame Green, but our depth is inadequate. Looking forward to Podz, a high draft pick and getting closer to dumping the deadweight. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, EddieVedder said:

I keep saying it.. look at what Tampa and St Louis won with on the backend.  They had horses who could play any style.  Look at Vegas, Col and Montreal now.  We arent winning with a backend with soft dmen who cant play defense.  Benning needs to find those 2way horses that can play with intensity (like Edler used to be)  if we are getting anywhere.  

Yeah. The defense is pretty soft. Hughes is small, while mobile, if the opposition is playing physical with him, he's going to be rendered ineffective. Vegas showed the hockey world that. 

Myers? He's not physical consistently for a big man. 

Juolevi? Nope

I don't think I saw too many hits from the Canucks tonight either (forwards or defensemen). 

This team has definitely taken a step back. 

Heads are going to roll soon i feel, especially if we lose 2 out of 3 with Ottawa...that would bring our record to 3-7, and that's worse than 2-5. 

5 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

It's all good... There'll always be a next season ans hopefully with fans in attendance like normal!! 

Looks like Green is done...  The management can conveniently skip all extension talks... We might trade Boeser to free up cap space to keep Petey and Hughes! Never too early to plan ahead! 

We need to stop pretending like Hughes is a 10 mill dollar player.  He not even close.   Petey might be a 7ish one day.

8 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Doubt that, but i know Marky was like a big bro to him.  Stetch was one of his best friends.  Hes either injured or mentally something outside the game is affecting him.  Hes physically not handling the puck or skating like he has been since he got here.

Kids at his age have lots of changes going around emotionally and physically so he is adapting

1 hour ago, Seguin said:

I hate this.

"i feel bad for us"

only a COUPLE mistakes?

"I am happy for Petey"

Shame. Zero fire. 

Coaching staff has created a toxic culture inside the organization.  The players all get participation trophies every night from Green. 

Edited by CptCanuck16
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Part of the predictability is we never played teams 3x in a row on the same week! Playing the same teams 9 times when many of them we'd only play 2 times in the past, changes the whole season.

Would help if the system we played was more dynamic and had more variety.

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. The defense is pretty soft. Hughes is small, while mobile, if the opposition is playing physical with him, he's going to be rendered ineffective. Vegas showed the hockey world that. 

Myers? He's not physical consistently for a big man. 

Juolevi? Nope

I don't think I saw too many hits from the Canucks tonight either (forwards or defensemen). 

This team has definitely taken a step back. 

Heads are going to roll soon i feel, especially if we lose 2 out of 3 with Ottawa...that would bring our record to 3-7, and that's worse than 2-5. 

I have high hopes for Joulevi still.  Hes looked steady and will get better with confidemce..  Tbh him and Woo are our best shot at giving us a reliable d in the next few yrs

Edited by EddieVedder

6 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Well that's not the only thing either, for most of the franchise history it's been "sell the farm" win it all now? Well I'd love to know how that works when you have next to no depth.. and because of fan pressure for the most part, that's the road we ended up on, I don't know about you but after all the time of being a fan I was considering just dropping the nux altogether but then JB came along and I decided to stay around to see if the team was rebuilt and it was/is, no it's not there yet and people should stop thinking we're anything less than a couple of seasons away from being the team we want to see if we can shore up our D and have our bottom six performing good, hopefully Podz comes in makes our 3rd line into something really potent OR slides in with Bo on 2nd.. things just aren't as bad as people are saying... but hey this is the CDC and media driven and we know how that is.. 

No things aren’t as bad as they seem. I think we have a great young core. I just think it’s time for some new ideas. Benning’s weakness is holding back his strength. He has admitted to trying to “stay competitive” while building this time. “Filling the age gap” Now that we can step back and critique his plan and where his plan has taken us, one could argue that his “filling the gap” is detrimental to us today. We are now in the future period he talked about reaching and IMO he screwed up by not giving himself flexibility. A lottery team shouldn’t be signing long term deals. If you want mentors sign guys like Cory Perry to a 1 year twilight a contract. 

4 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

Green will be fired as you all wish but since it is nearly impossible to hire a new coach in the middle of COVID, Newell Brown or Nolan Baumgartner will be made Head Coach of the Canucks. 

THEN YOU’LL ALL BE SORRY!

It’s the first step to a Cup, the sooner we take it the sooner we start moving forward.

• Cheers 1

Our payroll is to blame for everything on this board.

Paying a goalie that hasn't played here in 6 years.

Paying a guy forced to retire with Concussions after 4 games.

5 depth players 2-5 mil per who wouldn't crack most lineups in the league.

On and on and on...

Forced to let the top talent walk because we can't afford to keep them.

I said this mid summer:

Aquaman knows this year will be a loss. He knows it's a season that will forever have an asterisks and he isn't interested in spending anymore un-needed money till fans are back in the seats.

This season is a write off.

Edited by bad alice french