The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 23, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | CBC, SN, CITY, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

Loosing both your two best defensive players  (Tanev andMarkstrom) and an amazing offensive weapon ( Toffoli)  without proper replacement result in what we are seeing. The Canucks took a bad bet and are loosing: they will not make the playoffs and I hope some heads will Fall. 

13 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

I keep saying it.. look at what Tampa and St Louis won with on the backend.  They had horses who could play any style.  Look at Vegas, Col and Montreal now.  We arent winning with a backend with soft dmen who cant play defense.  Benning needs to find those 2way horses that can play with intensity (like Edler used to be)  if we are getting anywhere.  

Imo, the staff seems to had plateud and no player(s) will change the style being implemented on the ice...

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Sens about to lose again

Give nux a chance to get some pts

Battle of the basement dwellers. 

BATTLE FOR THE BASEMENT !!!!!  Did not watch the game - anybody care to do a quick summry: is it more of the same sloppy loss or were they more discipline in this loss ?????

40 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

I agree on the entire team missing those guys.  You cant replace 3 guys that bled Canuck blue.  Its had a huge effect on the team and i hope everyone on this board now understands you cant win with other teams players.  But i think something else is bothering Petey.  He doesnt make the mistakes hes been making so far.  

Seriously? Listening to the lame brained media are we? Look Tanman was/is Tinman to no fault of his own and when he goes down as usual it has always screws us.. Stretch? c'mon! middling dman in the league and hardly any potential offensive  

upside.. Marky? why keep someone as long term and big money only to lose him to Seattle, Demko is on the right side of 30 and only getting his feet wet so even if Seattle gets Holtby, then whatever we still have Demko who will have another good chunk of a season under his belt.. 

Losing Toffi was a covid frozen cap fall out and people just need to get over it.. now we wait for his replacement and I'd almost be willing to put up $ that a certain young Russian comes in and takes a 2nd line spot and our top 6 is complete for a change..  

last thing, with new guys and no pre-season games for TG to try different line combinations and D pairings and no Nate, it's not really surprising that a slow start happened.. 

So ummm you can relax now, the sky isn't really falling... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Replayed the game, just finished watching. Wasn't the worst of the season, but the Canucks are ass. They suck and it's frustrating.

They're completely out of sorts, there's no chemistry and I feel like finding something in my shed to hit with a hammer.

• Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, Darius said:

Lets put aside who is to blame for a moment.

In this half arse hockey season, due to covid and the weird divisional alignment we will never see again(hopefully), is it the worst thing if this team gets another top 10 pick in a year that is rich with defensive prospects.  This team needs another stud d in the pipleline imho and this is a good as year as any to get another high end d man.

That said, my only concern is...will we be another Oiler style team that goes through multiple cores before we are relevant again. Even Colorado looked like they were on the cusp a few years ago only to regress for a few years (Think of Duchesne moving on) . Are we going to go through that? Is Bo Horvat going to be the hemsky/horcoff/duchesne style casualty in our core because all the pieces of the puzzle didnt fall in place in time?  He is in his prime right now.  If we arent 'going for it' right now will guys like Miller/Horvat etc be fodder?

We don't need to draft McJesus, Matthews Crosby etc. to be good.Our drafting and development has come a long way and looks pretty good.

We need to spend the money better.

Look at Montreal's players line per line then look at ours. We are not deep enough at any position. Third liners need to be able to score.

Today's fourth lines have guys that can play.

I like our D core but we had one of the best two way defenders in the west and we let him walk away.

Just not enough good players. Sucks

18 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

No things aren’t as bad as they seem. I think we have a great young core. I just think it’s time for some new ideas. Benning’s weakness is holding back his strength. He has admitted to trying to “stay competitive” while building this time. “Filling the age gap” Now that we can step back and critique his plan and where his plan has taken us, one could argue that his “filling the gap” is detrimental to us today. We are now in the future period he talked about reaching and IMO he screwed up by not giving himself flexibility. A lottery team shouldn’t be signing long term deals. If you want mentors sign guys like Cory Perry to a 1 year twilight a contract. 

well first I doubt it was "competitive" coming from him but more from Aquaman, fair enough though, rip it down but slowly, because that was the only way anyway with all the old contracts off year by year and trying to keep seats somewhat filled..  

Imo it takes playing with a mentor more than just one season though especially if it's a young rookie, especially on D... 

I'm just happy we're building a farm team though, that's one thing this franchise has never really built as we traded away drafts for roster players.. that was painful, that's ok when you have a ton of prospects but we NEVER had that so here we are without a cup..  ugh... 

5 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Replayed the game, just finished watching. Wasn't the worst of the season, but the Canucks are ass. They suck and it's frustrating.

They're completely out of sorts, there's no chemistry and I feel like finding something in my shed to hit with a hammer.

Save it.

It's gonna get worse.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

We don't need to draft McJesus, Matthews Crosby etc. to be good.Our drafting and development has come a long way and looks pretty good.

We need to spend the money better.

Look at Montreal's players line per line then look at ours. We are not deep enough at any position. Third liners need to be able to score.

Today's fourth lines have guys that can play.

I like our D core but we had one of the best two way defenders in the west and we let him walk away.

Just not enough good players. Sucks

"we" LET him walk? ok projected outlook was 5 million-ish cap increase.. had it happened, Tyler would still be here.. we didn't let him walk as if money had nothing to do with it, if you think so you might want to re-think that a minute..