The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 23, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | CBC, SN, CITY, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

46 minutes ago, gurn said:

Edler will replace Edler, hopefully on a 1 year under $5 mill deal.

If Hamonic can't up his level of play, he can go to some other team next season.

Man I hope Eddie can take 5M or under on a two or three year deal. Hes a solid Dman, but we will need the $$$.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Refocus us on the prize. 2 years out this group should be a CUP contender. Many of the roster players now won’t be here. The next 3 seasons is all about maturation of the core and de development of prospects.

This is an old way of thinking. In the cap era personnel changes too frequently.  In 3 years any one of Hughes, Boeser, Miller or Petterson could be gone due to cap issues. Look what happened to Markstrom. Reminds me of what fans were saying in the WCE era. "Just wait 2-3 years for the Sedins to develop and we'll be a contender." In reality, by the time the Sedins were ready the WCE was long gone.  The time to push is always now, because you never know what the future will bring.

Edited by CptCanuck16
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Thought Jake played really well last night.  Not sure why Green took him off the top unit.  But then the Sutter Mackewan Virtanen line had a few real good shifts too.

My thoughts as well. And the hate that Sutter gets is strange, he wins draws, PK, forechecks and i thought he played his role very good the last 2 games

• Cheers 1

The Canucks' best players are young, we all know that. With the success of the playoffs, I'm sure they came into this season thinking things would be a little easier ... that they had found some of the tough answers. But winning is never easy in this league, you need to keep working hard for it. Anybody ever see Jonathan Toews loaf around the ice uncommittedly in this league? Nope. Winning requires work 24/7, doesn't matter who you are. The success in the playoffs only means they have the ability to win, nothing more. Cutting corners doesn't get it done, and that is what we've seen through 7 games. The key players learned some hard lessons about winning, now they're learning some hard lessons about losing ..... and it's really kind of all the same thing. Two steps forward, one step back. Mediocre goaltending, struggling defence, too much dead cap money all means there are challenges to fight through. Fans need to keep things in perspective. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Do you seriously think the entire team does not take this seriously? Right!

Of course they’re taking it seriously, but there is something wrong right now, with the players, as a whole. Their buy-in is nowhere near what we saw from this team during the playoffs, especially when it comes to team defence, and having everyone, to a man, committed to the systems.

This may be the first true leadership test for Bo since his taking on the captaincy. You can’t fault his individual effort or the way he’s leading by example on the ice, but it seems like it’s time for a players-only meeting, and for Horvat, and the rest of the leadership group, to have some serious conversations about what they expect from this team, and what it means to be a Canuck.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

This is an old way of thinking. In the cap era personnel changes too frequently.  In 3 years any one of Hughes, Boeser, Miller or Petterson could be gone due to cap issues. Look what happened to Markstrom. Reminds me of what fans were saying in the WCE era. "Just wait 2-3 years for the Sedins to develop and we'll be a contender." In reality, by the time the Sedins were ready the WCE was long gone.  The time to push is always now. 

The guy I actually wonder about is  Horvat. I said this before and got blasted. The guy is turning 26 this April. Need to be careful there the Canucks could miss his window.

• Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

I think the coaching staff as a whole needs to go. Never have been a fan of Noel or Baumgartner, their 'systems' make me constantly shake my head, and I am so frustrated with Travis Green I don't even know if he is an NHL coach anymore...

I feel like Green might be ok if the other guys are gone...I'd like to see him give it a go without them.   With some fresh assitants in place.  (I think you meant Newell or Baum?).

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

Winning requires work 24/7,

The team system needs to better utilize how energy is expended.  Giving the puck up and then fighting to get it back isnt working smarter. Its just wasting precious energy. A team this talented need to be focused on carrying the puck into the zone with support so they can use their energy and skill on a scoring chance rather than wasting it all on puck recovery. 

37 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Well of course by then Hughes, Boesser, and Pettersson will be out of their ELC / Bridge Deals they will eat more into the cap and Horvat's contract is up soon after I think. So Vancouver never got the change to capitalize on this opportunity as what most Hockey experts are recommending.

And this is only if we still have these players by then. Whose to say that Boesser, Petterrson, Hughes, and Horvat all get tired of losing and either refuses to resign or demands a trade? Then Benning (if he still around) will do something stupid and overpay for players either in Free Agency or Trade hurting the team long term to keep them happy but leaves the team anyways.

So were back in a vicious cycle. 

That would turn us into Edmontronto.

31 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

But anyone throwing Quinn and Petey under the bus at this point is suspect to me.  Young guys, have SHOWN they have the ability to be game changers but are struggling...obviously a lot to do with the extra attention they get.  That's where good coaching can really help lead them through the rough patches.  You don't just blame "lack of effort"...because that wasn't there before.  Lack of direction.

In general your statment is totally correct and as an addition, this is the same thing that happened in Edmonton over and over again, in Vancouver we ridiculed the Oilers for ruining their prospects and young players forcing too much on them too soon, sometimes it is not just age but how long in the NHL

Whether you agree with the "why" the result could be the same, there is tons of pressure on them, everyday on just about every mdeia platform, 'If Pettersson doesn't go this team is too shallow he has to" or "they figured Hughes out but he will get it right hopefully sooner than later"

26 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Man I hope Eddie can take 5M or under on a two or three year deal. Hes a solid Dman, but we will need the $$$.

Edler at this point is worth around 3.5 to 4.  Hes been a warrior for this club and is the best dman this organization has ever had, but hes a number 3 now.  Hamonic is still young and is the closest dman we have to Tanev.   Not playing for 11 months and having only a weeks worth of practice so far with the team, or any team, will have an effect on your game.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Of course they’re taking it seriously, but there is something wrong right now, with the players, as a whole. Their buy-in is nowhere near what we saw from this team during the playoffs, especially when it comes to team defence, and having everyone, to a man, committed to the systems.

This may be the first true leadership test for Bo since his taking on the captaincy. You can’t fault his individual effort or the way he’s leading by example on the ice, but it seems like it’s time for a players-only meeting, and for Horvat, and the rest of the leadership group, to have some serious conversations about what they expect from this team, and what it means to be a Canuck.

But if they're not buying in...why is that?   Are they tired of the same ol' and nothing creative or new to help them with new stumbling blocks?  If teams figure out our system and it wasn't always the most effective to begin with?  I'm not going to lie...I am NOT a coach and so very green (pardon the pun) in that department.  But, to the naked eye, it seems that allowing perimeter shots on our net was a plan.  But goaltending had to save our butts a lot so, maybe, wasn't the best one?  Also the fact that when we're attaching we often veer to the perimeter to set up.  How many times has a guy had a good chance to drive to the net but, instead, puts on the brakes and spins around to go to the outside instead?  Letting the opponents catch up along with our potential pass receiver(s)?

Again..I don't understand the systems but that's my uneducated observation.

They lost some key personnel...Marky, Tanev, Stech, TT....even Manny.   The room is different and the mental game and chemistry is off.  

I don't feel it's a lack of urgency or seriousness...I feel it's more a lack of direction at this point.  Especially when a serious guy, like Petey, is struggling and looks completely disjointed.  That isn't a personal flaw it's something that requires support and direction.

18 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

The team system needs to better utilize how energy is expended.  Giving the puck up and then fighting to get it back isnt working smarter. Its just wasting precious energy. A team this talented need to be focused on carrying the puck into the zone with support so they can use their energy and skill on a scoring chance rather than wasting it all on puck recovery. 

Yea but Hughes and Brock are the easiest players on the team to knock the puck from.  Petey typically is strong on the puck but has looked physically weak this year.  The team desperately needs Hog and Podz to contribute fast.

14 minutes ago, billabong said:

Was that Gallagher goal offside or not? It looked offside to me 

It was not. 

The thing to watch for is the Montreal puck carrier touching the puck outside the zone to push the puck in, then left the puck alone ( which somehow was not deemed a controlled entry) until the other Montreal player cleared the zone before the puck carrier “re-took” possession of the puck inside the zone, making the play On side. 

but if they’re saying that’s not a controlled puck entry then it should’ve been an automatic offside in my opinion. 

Edited by Setyoureyesontheprize
  • Vintage 1