The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 23, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | CBC, SN, CITY, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

32 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

My thoughts as well. And the hate that Sutter gets is strange, he wins draws, PK, forechecks and i thought he played his role very good the last 2 games

Jake was invisible as per usual, he plays good for a few shifts then disappears

19 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

The guy I actually wonder about is  Horvat. I said this before and got blasted. The guy is turning 26 this April. Need to be careful there the Canucks could miss his window.

The guy is a force between whistles, hope he sticks but just wish he would be more Iginla like and make sure his penalties actually deter cheapshot liberties. So far he is either reigned in by the coach or is not willing to risk injury. That staged fight was a joke, why bite on that? Play the game and if it happens as part of a play, fine. Guy runs into our goalie, turtles and Bo caresses him for a 2 min. roughing penalty. It's embarrassing and a long standing issue with this team. If you are not going to do anything, stop the pretending. Why didn't anyone challenge Toffy later or make a huge hit on him? But Myers has to participate in a staged fight for a clean hit? Team toughness starts and ends with the captain, something Henrik was never good at. Our stars will walk for this reason alone. It's the fend for yourself team mentality I feel needs to be addressed immediately. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

This is an old way of thinking. In the cap era personnel changes too frequently.  In 3 years any one of Hughes, Boeser, Miller or Petterson could be gone due to cap issues. Look what happened to Markstrom. Reminds me of what fans were saying in the WCE era. "Just wait 2-3 years for the Sedins to develop and we'll be a contender." In reality, by the time the Sedins were ready the WCE was long gone.  The time to push is always now, because you never know what the future will bring.

True but at the same time if you focus always on the short term you end up with bare cupboards and eventually the house of cards collapses. 

it’s a blended approach - there needs to be a long term strategic view and goal, with short term tactical adjustments made based on the situation in reality. You cannot go full long term and constantly always go for picks for the next star which means you never have a settled core as you tear it down before it really peaks each time. You also cannot sell and make a push for the cup every year as the assets will provide diminishing returns  and eventually after selling the farm, giving away all the picks you will have nothing of value left. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

But if they're not buying in...why is that?   Are they tired of the same ol' and nothing creative or new to help them with new stumbling blocks?  If teams figure out our system and it wasn't always the most effective to begin with?  I'm not going to lie...I am NOT a coach and so very green (pardon the pun) in that department.  But, to the naked eye, it seems that allowing perimeter shots on our net was a plan.  But goaltending had to save our butts a lot so, maybe, wasn't the best one?  Also the fact that when we're attaching we often veer to the perimeter to set up.  How many times has a guy had a good chance to drive to the net but, instead, puts on the brakes and spins around to go to the outside instead?  Letting the opponents catch up along with our potential pass receiver(s)?

Again..I don't understand the systems but that's my uneducated observation.

They lost some key personnel...Marky, Tanev, Stech, TT....even Manny.   The room is different and the mental game and chemistry is off.  

I don't feel it's a lack of urgency or seriousness...I feel it's more a lack of direction at this point.  Especially when a serious guy, like Petey, is struggling and looks completely disjointed.  That isn't a personal flaw it's something that requires support and direction.

It is not buying in or not, as a group, they are just not good enough to sustain a level of competition that is in this division this year. Most years there are weeks where team coast along and wins are picked up with out to much intensity, but this season is a reversion to the days when most games were 4 pointers, when a loss not only was 2 points but also one less game to catch up.

I know, posters will point out to the playoffs. But ignore that the team probably would not have made them if the season had run it's course. They got lucky, they all got healthy, they had a 94 million dollar team, well over the cap and didn't have to waive players to make the cap, which in a regular season they would have had to do, they got lucky in that all that happened AND the NHL expanded the opportunity to 24  or the 31 teams. They did well, but how much of that was Markstrom and Demko? They still had horrible shots against totals.

There is only ONE person to blame for this team, Benning. The buck stops there. Throughout the forum every single thing is ridden to death about what is wrong with the team, which player is at fault, Eriksson is no good because Benning offered him and overpaid with a clause so it is Eriksson' s fault, Newell's fault for a bad PP, Green's fault because the AHL defence isn't good enough, Baumgartner's fault because players are not in the right positions,goalies fault for easy ones, Pettersson and Hughes for not scoring, but not a word about those high paid bottom 6 guys.

• Wat 2
  • Vintage 1

17 hours ago, Jaimito said:

EP not sharp

didn't he come in with 10 extra pounds?

Remember when Jake did that and cdc blew up?

I think it is something yung guys need to do, but it thows off their game for a while

1 minute ago, FaninMex said:

I like Green and Benning but do not like Brown. Our Powerplay needs a lot of work. 

Just our PP? Add forechecking, back checking and the PK into that mix. How about the fact that our defence gave up how many odd man rushes last night? Goaltending is subpar, guys have zero confidence and lack of motivation. I’d be looking at the entire coaching/management staff. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, billabong said:

Was that Gallagher goal offside or not? It looked offside to me 

If that wasn't offside I don't know what is.  The way Simpson described it made absolutely zero sense.  He said because the puck wasn't on the habs players stick entering into the zone he didn't have control so it was fine the other player was already in the zone.  WTF.  If that is the case how is offside ever called, couldn't you just send guy's into the zone and blast the puck in because you didn't have control of the puck.  That play changed the whole game.  Awesome officiating.

1 minute ago, Bell said:

If that wasn't offside I don't know what is.  The way Simpson described it made absolutely zero sense.  He said because the puck wasn't on the habs players stick entering into the zone he didn't have control so it was fine the other player was already in the zone.  WTF.  If that is the case how is offside ever called, couldn't you just send guy's into the zone and blast the puck in because you didn't have control of the puck.  That play changed the whole game.  Awesome officiating.

that is the new rule, the NHL sucks with stoopid rule changes

but Greener sucks more for not knowing the rules

Green has picked up 2 penalties in the last 2 games

Learn the rule book before you become a big league coach

2 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Just our PP? Add forechecking, back checking and the PK into that mix. How about the fact that our defence gave up how many odd man rushes last night? Goaltending is subpar, guys have zero confidence and lack of motivation. I’d be looking at the entire coaching/management staff. 

Forechecking;

Virt, Motte, Beagle, Rousell(this last game) has been good and getting better.

PK;

Has been fine with a few break downs

Defense needs to coordinate more. Every line is different and they need more time to gel. They need to learn how to play together. I have said since before the season started that the team will need 10 games to get to speed.

So, your cry wolf is just crying in your pillow.

The team has been getting better but they have the Sedin syndrome right now. Too many cutsie, predictable passes.

1 minute ago, FaninMex said:

Forechecking;

Virt, Motte, Beagle, Rousell(this last game) has been good and getting better.

PK;

Has been fine with a few break downs

Defense needs to coordinate more. Every line is different and they need more time to gel. They need to learn how to play together. I have said since before the season started that the team will need 10 games to get to speed.

So, your cry wolf is just crying in your pillow.

The team has been getting better but they have the Sedin syndrome right now. Too many cutsie, predictable passes.

Corey Perry gelled inhis first game

I'm rewatching the game (I'm a sucker for punishment).

Myers stands out in such a bad way to me...not always but, when he does, it's glaring.  In our zone, he's battling for the puck on the wall.....gets it then throws a whiffy pass out laterally...right toward the slot.  Intercepted and chaos in front of our net ensues.  Got to make the smart play and I feel like, often, he makes a lazy one.  "Here, you take it".

I'm also tired of this "move" for lack of a better word.  

I hate ripping on our players, but this experiment isn't working for me.  A lot of penalties he takes seem to be lazy ones.  Always reaching and diving for the puck that, if it works?  Great.  If it doesn't...disastrous.

image.pngimage.png

image.png

image.png

On Montreal's 4th goal too...a gentle swipe at the puck/guy then no skating hard to at least try beyond that.  He and Hughes...Hughes got caught but Myer's effort to be was a little soft.  Gives up on the play way too easily.  

I'm learning so go easy on me.

• Cheers 2