The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 23, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | CBC, SN, CITY, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

16 hours ago, runtzguy said:

Not sure why you goldfishes think this is Green's fault.

Green made terrific coaching decisions during the playoff run for us to win against the Wild and the Blues.

The one who should have his head on a spike is Jim Benning. His terrific signings of Sutter, Roussel, Beagle, Myers, Bear cheese, King Louie is master class GMing. All he had to do was nothing in the offseason and resign the players that he had, the team would be better cap wise and skill wise.

Thank you! It seems like you’re the few that are thinking like me! Haha

11 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

Boy I sure hope not. I would give Benning two more years. Green, well, it's folly to think any of us truly know how effective he is with the group. If he needs to go, it will be a decision informed by team leadership in addition to the eye test. My biggest complaint with green is lack of team identity, make them pay on the PP approach. The Benning plan is finally starting to bear fruit, our prospects are restocked, I have high hopes for the next 5 years. I couldn't say that in 2014. Just need more nastiness in the line-up.

I find it kind of funny how this "GMs don't get to hire more than 2 coaches" thing has taken a life of its own.

They were even talking about it on TV the other day.

Was that brought down from the mountain with Moses?

IMO Bening should gas the whole works of them except for Clark, today

Step behind the bench until he has a replacement. That is what Sweet Lou would do.

Then hire an experienced coach.

If the Aquaboys won't let him out from Green, they may as well fire the lot of them now and start looking for a new management group.

I agree with several other posters regarding AHL coaches 

we had a terrible experience with Willie and then JB follows it up Green

Green accomplished squat in the AHL but has the arrogance of Torts for some odd reason

Great poker player though .....apparently 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Took me a while before I wanted to think anything Canucks after yet another disappointing performance. 

I can’t recall a group that hurts itself as much as this group has.  Just needless turnovers and horrible coverage across the board, but specifically on special teams.  Was embarrassing to watch. 

Good news is that we all know this team is far better than the one playing Junior B hockey right now.  Bad news is the season will be lost if they don’t figure it out immediately and I have more than a few doubts.  

The goaltending hasn’t been bad, but 5GA/game...  regardless how bad the coverage is, we need a few more timely saves from both netminders. Demko has looked average, but honestly holding judgment on both goalies until the season is at least half over. 

The defence looks completely lost at times.  I don’t see chemistry on any pair.  This is extremely concerning long term, and easily my biggest worry for the franchise. 

As for the forward group...  personally I’m done with Rousell and Virtanen.  Podkolzin can’t get over here fast enough. Hogs looks solid.  Horvat has taken yet another step.  

Silver lining....  if Petey and Hughes continue to be meh...  it really helps set up a bridge deal, opening up $$...

2 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

It was onside.  Even though the puck went in before Hab player was out, Gallagher waited to touch puck after player got onside. 

2 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Not offside. He didn't have control until well after the other Montreal player had cleared the zone. 

2 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

It was not. 

The thing to watch for is the Montreal puck carrier touching the puck outside the zone to push the puck in, then left the puck alone ( which somehow was not deemed a controlled entry) until the other Montreal player cleared the zone before the puck carrier “re-took” possession of the puck inside the zone, making the play On side. 

but if they’re saying that’s not a controlled puck entry then it should’ve been an automatic offside in my opinion. 

Oh right! Thanks!

that’s a very unique play 99% of the time a player will touch the puck in the zone to make it offside 

22 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Dressing a number of AHLers on the blueline tends to lead to problems.

Those AAHLers are not playing on the powerplay that has given up3 shorties

look at the game sumary, its got 53/57/70 all over it

Jordie Benn is the only + player while Motte and Juolevi are 0s and the much maligned Foundational Player is -1

the top of the scoring list goes minus 5-4-7-4-6-3. That sounds like a pop song from the 80s... Jenny I got your number

13 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

I would be fine with Green being an assistant as you are correct. He’s just not a head coach. 

or he will learn through the fire.. it's not like he's stupid and unteachable, seems to me he has a bit of a proactive leaning way of thinking so I can see him trying to up his game too, who knows... I for one, actually think when the rebuild is over and we have the right pieces and depth in 2 seasons, hard to imagine anyone who could screw it up but then again Green could be a lot better too with 2 more seasons under his belt, but again, who knows... 

Hard to expect this young team to overachieve like in the playoffs during the regular season with the turnstile still slowing down from all the new faces in the past 3 years and this year especially.. I know the CDC is imploding but wouldn't be the first time! ;)

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, happy the way the team is headed in the build and it's great if we do well right now but it also could be team building as we work out way out of this and actually have an identity for the first time since 2012.. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bell said:

If that wasn't offside I don't know what is.  The way Simpson described it made absolutely zero sense.  He said because the puck wasn't on the habs players stick entering into the zone he didn't have control so it was fine the other player was already in the zone.  WTF.  If that is the case how is offside ever called, couldn't you just send guy's into the zone and blast the puck in because you didn't have control of the puck.  That play changed the whole game.  Awesome officiating.

I think in simple terms, think of it as on onside kick/mini dump in which as soon as their guy left the zone to tag up the play was on side to touch the puck 

kind of a rare play. A lot had to go right for it to be deemed onside 

5 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Took me a while before I wanted to think anything Canucks after yet another disappointing performance. 

you are watching the game all wrong.

I cheered every time Toffoli didn't score a goal and cat called the shizizizle outa my TV at him... told him he was washed up cuz he spent all his goals.

I cheered when Myzie didn't break his hand.

I cheered EVERY SHOT in the first half of the game, as there were only 9, I didn't get too tired

Then My Grandson came over and said "vroom vroom every time the camera scanned past that Rouge in the corner of the rink, ( told my daughter to bring him over and I'd indoctrinate him into what its like to be a Canuck fan) that really brought some fun into the end of the game.

Then we cheered that awesome goal by Edmunson, I think Joel deserved 3rd star

39 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

I would be fine with Green being an assistant as you are correct. He’s just not a head coach. 

the funny thing is that is what is said about Benning too

Vancouver, the place where the coach shold be an assistant and the GM should be a scout.

Aqua, how did this happen?

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

I agree with several other posters regarding AHL coaches 

we had a terrible experience with Willie and then JB follows it up Green

Green accomplished squat in the AHL but has the arrogance of Torts for some odd reason

2014 took the Comets to the AHL finals.

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

The AHL championships is really a function of money ... we had Markstrom playing in Utica

So every good draft pick was Brackett and every bad pick was J.B.?

That's where you are coming from, huh.

• Cheers 1