The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 23, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | CBC, SN, CITY, TVAS

Rate this topic

17 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Well said and I had been saying pretty much the same thing cause it seems the coaching staff had platued with this team..

Currently, it is looking like this season is a washed (but a losing streak can change all that), I would hope they play the rookies more in all situations to give them that legit experience that they needed for next season..

I wouldn't say we're washed just yet... I still look at this as if it was preseason and sorry but I played for the Regals in Powell River and if you think you can just get used to how a new guy plays, thinks, and fits in just that easy, from experience, I have news for you.. it's just not so, hockey is just too fast and unpredictable game at best, for it not to be and not even including other factors so sorry but I disagree.. 

39 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

I wouldn't say we're washed just yet... I still look at this as if it was preseason and sorry but I played for the Regals in Powell River and if you think you can just get used to how a new guy plays, thinks, and fits in just that easy, from experience, I have news for you.. it's just not so, hockey is just too fast and unpredictable game at best, for it not to be and not even including other factors so sorry but I disagree.. 

It is ok to disagree cause it is my opinion and this is yours based on your experience(s).  I do agree that there is a time of adjsutments to be expected and everybody is different (no matter what the job is) but like any other employee the expectations and directives are set by your immediete leadership(s) and ofcourse it works better in paper compared to actual applications.  Imo, the sloppiness in there current play and the way they are losing reflects on the coaching staff much more so than anything else.

Plus I don't see any real difference between a Pro player compared to any fast paced corporate setting were you are getting paid well to be a Pro - you either adapt quick or they moved on from you. I would argue pro hockey players would have a much higher expectation to perform due to the high acquisition and deployment cost.   

Also not giving up on this shorten season yet - CGC !

Edited by ShawnAntoski
22 hours ago, stawns said:

Start by cutting ice time of players going half assed.......petey, hughes in particular.  Play the players actually putting in the effort and playing with some heart.  Show the team that you earn your ice time, not get it gifted to you because you were a high draft pick.

People are getting triggered by your response but it's actually the truth.  

Elias and Quinn have been really bad to start this season.  Cutting their ice time down and having players earn it on MERIT is actually a reasonable thing to do.  

27 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Plus I don't see any real difference between a Pro player compared to any fast paced corporate setting were you are getting paid well to be a Pro - you either adapt quick or they moved on from you. I would argue pro hockey players would have a much higher expectation to perform due to the high acquisition and deployment cost.   

Exactly. These guys are stil playing hockey, something they've dedicated their whole lives to, and know inside and out.  It isn't like a joining a new team is the same as switching careers  from a plumber to a computer programmer and being totally lost with a huge learning curve. They all know the fundamentals.  Besides that Toffoli seemed to have no issue creating chemistry with his new line mates 3 games in. Tanev seemed just fine on the blue line in CGY for that matter as well.  Unless TGs systems are so convoluted that a PRO hockey player can't figure them out then I don't think these guys being too new is the problem. 

• Hydration 1
55 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I missed the game due to work, watching the fights and have a few too many. 

Can anyone give me a good summary?

The Canucks were Connor McGregor and Dan hooker combined into one big steaming pile. 

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

20210124_152058.thumb.jpg.ccc87a8340a9fb3a38eb1a5edd734bc1.jpg

I’m actually a fan of Sat Shah, but this is a ridiculous statement.

The team is revolting against JB because he signed a cup-winner instead of Marky? No chance in hell. Guys were excited in training camp, there is a lot of skill on this roster. We’re just lacking muscle and have brutal team defence.

• Vintage 1
59 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Vegas Knights

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I missed the game due to work, watching the fights and have a few too many. 

Can anyone give me a good summary?

Outworked for most of the game. They had 3 shots 26mins into the game.

Pettersson had some great looks. Dinged the post at 100mph on PP, and got a PP tip in goal later.

The D-zone system's getting bent over by any team which can quickly move the puck around the perimeter.

Tons of giveaways by all lines, forwards and D alike on most breakouts.

Sloppy oddman crap all game long, even when hemmed in at 5 on 5.

The entire team basically was playing like Nikolay Goldobin in the neutral zone all game long.

Edited by xereau
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, iceman64 said:

seemed to me is was aimed at JB but whatever, Both aren't exactly seasoned pro's but doing better each year.. meh.. as long as we stop building those f'ing regular season teams, I'm ok with whatever is there (within reason)

Lol what? This is what I said, I’m literally saying I don’t blame JB rather green and his systems.. “

I don’t blame JB either, but it’s difficult to not put some blame on green. Watching the systems play out is painful, and they aren’t working. But he refuses to change them.” 

1 hour ago, nergish said:

I’m actually a fan of Sat Shah, but this is a ridiculous statement.

The team is revolting against JB because he signed a cup-winner instead of Marky? No chance in hell. Guys were excited in training camp, there is a lot of skill on this roster. We’re just lacking muscle and have brutal team defence.

Could not have said it better myself... sadly it's not a new issue, sort of reminds me of 20 something years of this franchise, had some good years on D but when we did our offense sucked... been hard to watch this team for 40 years...