The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Myers is doing as he is told

Rate this topic

Pettershon

I would love to add Tryamkin to our back end. Then in this years draft add to our depth for defense. There is quit a few quality D at the top end of this years draft and they come with some size. They need to focus on building our defense. Creating depth within our system.

Bottom six forwards can be signed as UFA's.     

• Vintage 3

4 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I would love to add Tryamkin to our back end. Then in this years draft add to our depth for defense. There is quit a few quality D at the top end of this years draft and they come with some size. They need to focus on building our defense. Creating depth within our system.

Bottom six forwards can be signed as UFA's.     

Elias will put it together if he wants the big contract lol. I have no issue with what the Canucks are doing. In the long run, big money goalies are a waste of money and everyone knows it. Markstrom did us a favor. This team's core has the potential.

Tryamkin was a no brainer to keep around. That was probably a Linden decision at some point. Always jealous of Pavel. Who passes on a 6'6 D man who can skate ad dummy opponents? Like, oh boy guys, he is demanding money and stuff for his services!?!?! Better teach him a lesson!!!!! 

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, apollo said:

Love your post brother

Tyler Myers remains one of Jim's best free agent frenzy steals imo 

It's funny... Every network, TSN, Sportsnet, Hockeynews all had Myers as #1dman that free agent frenzy... The guy takes less term and a million discount and now he's a whipping boy? 

Why? Because there's a small minority in our fan base that is not well and just needs to find a scapegoat after every single game so they can rag on a guy and pretend they have something useful to say or pretend they could play hockey and make 100% right decisions on the ice themselves... 

This minority is going down a dark tunnel. I hope they see the light soon and stop... All it takes is to lace up the skates maybe? realize that saying 100 negative things about a guy who is 10000x better than u in hockey is silly maybe? 

Ryan+Miller+Tyler+Myers+2010+NHL+Awards+

Talk about seeing the light.

My official favourite CDC poster from now on.

• Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, Pettershon said:

Boston, Vegas, 

How many teams have pushed us around when it matters...and now we have turned a gentle giant into a tough SOB who will punch a rat in the face for barely slighting our goalie, and will take liberties on one of our opponents players, in a mini series where they've bullied our undersized stars.

This is exactly what ownership, management, and coaching wants.

Out fanbase needs to immediately, stfu, about Myers. He is exactly what this team needs and has adapted his game and demeanor PERFECTLY. 

Just imagine if we had signed Tryamkin this past off season to have the Twin Towers on a D pairing, but apparently Canucks didn't want to give him a 1 way deal...if true that is just pathetic, a 20 plus min a night D man in the KHL surely is worth giving a 1 way deal to imo.

Wouldn't mind seeing someone go after Myers tonight and see a glimpse of the proper way hockey should be played with fights!

• Cheers 1

Again this year JB has failed at picking up a player that other teams hate playing against or fear.  Myers is doing his best to answer the bell for his lightweight teammates but there appears to be no one else stepping up to the plate.  I would bet McEwan back into the lineup in place of Rousell.  Any other suggestions to toughen up our team a little?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, apollo said:

Love your post brother

Tyler Myers remains one of Jim's best free agent frenzy steals imo 

It's funny... Every network, TSN, Sportsnet, Hockeynews all had Myers as #1dman that free agent frenzy... The guy takes less term and a million discount and now he's a whipping boy? 

Why? Because there's a small minority in our fan base that is not well and just needs to find a scapegoat after every single game so they can rag on a guy and pretend they have something useful to say or pretend they could play hockey and make 100% right decisions on the ice themselves... 

This minority is going down a dark tunnel. I hope they see the light soon and stop... All it takes is to lace up the skates maybe? realize that saying 100 negative things about a guy who is 10000x better than u in hockey is silly maybe? 

Ryan+Miller+Tyler+Myers+2010+NHL+Awards+

Appolo, you are and still remain a breath of fresh air on this site.    Miller surely enjoyed having him patrolling the blue line his rookie year.  No he didn't become the next Pronger - but he's a legit and i wish the former Edler bashers would give him a break.   He's played almost a full season with us - and has come pretty much as advertised.   

Folks this year is about the ED and core progression.   We have a glut of D's that need a chance so we don't do Vegas did with Theodore.    Not saying we have a Theodore - but wouldn't that suck a lot if we did.   It could be OJ... Rafferty had a bad game - well some vets or regulars were worse or as bad.   Could be him.   Unless somehow we have the inside track on Hamilton (who we don't), there it makes zero sense to dangle Myers, Seattle will need someone to build their initial defense on and they could do a lot worse.   Careful for what you wish for (those that want TG and JB gone posthaste).     Myers absolutely is part of the solution - not the problem.  Surround him with similar D's and we could do very, very well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pettershon said:

Boston, Vegas, 

How many teams have pushed us around when it matters...and now we have turned a gentle giant into a tough SOB who will punch a rat in the face for barely slighting our goalie, and will take liberties on one of our opponents players, in a mini series where they've bullied our undersized stars.

Out fanbase needs to immediately, stfu, about Myers. He is exactly what this team needs and has adapted his game and demeanor PERFECTLY. 

I couldn’t agree more.  

Thanks OP; was hoping the tide would turn away from all these gloomy idiots who can't see the forest for the trees.

Myers lays it on the line, all the time; his body, time in the box, possible suspensions and loss of pay, fines, whatever, Tyler pays the price.

He doesn't back down from anybody; no matter whotf it is; absolutely super teammate.

And, he has a fair bit of talent to go with his size and willingness to get his nose bloody.

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Pettershon said:

Boston, Vegas, 

The only reason this fan base is all over Myers is because he constantly is in the penalty box but thats because he is the only Canuck that does anything remotely physical. If others would stand up and throw an occasional hit or challenge someone for their actions he wouldnt stand out so badly. I think Myers is earning his 6 million and doing exactly what the team needs. If we could just transplant a little more heart into a few other coasters.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree OP, he's the only physical presence on the team, and gets a lot of penalties because of this. 

But he's not out of position often or gets caught chasing the puck. He's a steady presence with a big body, that being said I'm sure the other guys like having him around. 

11 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

The only reason this fan base is all over Myers is because he constantly is in the penalty box but thats because he is the only Canuck that does anything remotely physical. If others would stand up and throw an occasional hit or challenge someone for their actions he wouldnt stand out so badly. I think Myers is earning his 6 million and doing exactly what the team needs. If we could just transplant a little more heart into a few other coasters.....

I'm not sure that is the only reason (penalty box frequency).  I think many did not and do not, understand that his 6x6 contract was negotiated pre-pandemic and represented a very good value, locking up the best D on the market, in his prime, and filling a position on the team that was (and still is a bit) a gaping chasm. 

So there's that 6 mil too, that they cannot understand.. 

And, he stands out. 

He is an easy target for small minds that do not see the whole picture. 

It is much more difficult for Myers to hide the little inside work that all the seasoned and grizzled vets get away with; when Tyler lowers the boom, everybody sees it.

In my mind, Myers has the proper mindset for the rough going of NHL hockey, and especially the playoffs. 

It is not just the willingness to do battle.  It is not just the willingness to deliver justice, retribution, dominance whatever. 

It is the calculated (and spur of the moment) willingness to initiate, to be the prick, the asshole, the guy everybody hates on the other team, and in the stands.

To cross the line first, and hurt the other guy, and stand there and look for another, that is what is required.

It reminds me of Pronger, and of the Bruins of 2011. 

What Pronger and those Bruins did was overload the refs. 

Pronger would do 5 to 10 things per shift that deserved a penalty. 

The Bruins made sure almost every guy put in the extra shot, went over the line, smash-mouth and damn the consequences. 

The refs would call one or two out of 5 or 10, in the first period, but they do not seem willing to keep calling the same guy or team, over and over again.

So, you start to get away with things, and they can be things that gain the team advantages, again, especially in the playoffs, where you also wear the other team down, and injure them, and get away with it because the refs are worn down too.

(I know, I exaggerate a bit, but you get the point.) 

Another tactic is to start 'evening things up' right after you are already called for a penalty.

This works well when the rest of your team joins in: the refs hardly ever call you for a butt-end to the ribs when they're staring at Myers and some whining opponent settle their sh!te.

The refs hardly ever call the second, and I dare say never the 3rd or 4th penalty, at least until the majors start stacking up (fighting, spearing, scalping, etc). 

Another tactic is 'Go First'; don't wait for action - put that guy down! 

Get that (Famous Pronger) crosscheck going, and let him get the equalizer penalty trying to get back at you.

The player responding is most often the only one to get a penalty anyway. 

So don't hesitate to go first; I think Myers is hip to this.

Go first, go hard, and follow up. 

By the time the refs have called a half-dozen consecutive penalties on the same team or player, they start to 'Let them play', 'Let the players decide it on the ice' etc. 

Ever since we put the Sedins on the ice, with their beat 'em on the power play' mantra, we come up on the short end of the stick as soon as the other team chooses to rough it up. 

This year, with this short (and a bit $&!#tty) season, teams are already gooning Quinn and Petey right from the get-go!

And they follow it up; notice how they fall on top of Quinn every time he goes down low on a hit.

Hit 'em, hurt 'em, knock 'em down, pin 'em down, keep 'em down = All Stars rendered useless.

And as we know, you can't afford to have goons on the roster anymore to protect the stars. 

So you have to get ahead of this sh!t and take it to the other team and make them deal with it.

Last game you didn't see Miller going after Montreal (spit, spit, puke)'s big D, no he was making life miserable for their little stars.

And initiating; not retaliating.  

Please JB and TG and team, please, please do not turn Myers into another guy afraid to take a frikkin' penalty. 

Please surround him with a gang of angry hyenas ready to rip everything apart.

Please teach all of the team, including our 'more sensitive' stars, this angry hyena mentality; it will protect them better than Gudbranson, for example.

And the next time we are in the playoffs, hopefully in a few short months, they are all trained up and ready to Win The Cup.

• Cheers 1