The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Trade) Laine to CBJ - Dubois to Jets

MikeBossy

3 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

They also have Stastny (for this year at least).  But I agree with you, that they don't need him to be a 2-way centre..just don't know why people (not you) think Winnipeg won the deal because they got a more complete, 2-way player. 

Personally, I don't think Dubois has the same goal scoring prowess as Laine but he may produce with the better linemates he will see in Winnipeg.

Stastny was what I meant but I called him Steen lol.

Dubois may not be the sniper that Laine is, but he should bring that (hard to acquire) powerforward game (which can open up space and create problems in the hard areas...)

• Cheers 1

Get the impression that Laine's a bit of a head-case. Wouldn't surprise me if he's moved from CBJ within a yr or two.

If the Jets can get PLD signed(reasonably) to another few yrs after these 2, they're looking good with this move. With his Dad nearby, gotta think it's more likely they can get a LT-commitment.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Get the impression that Laine's a bit of a head-case. Wouldn't surprise me if he's moved from CBJ within a yr or two.

If the Jets can get PLD signed(reasonably) to another few yrs after these 2, they're looking good with this move. With his Dad nearby, gotta think it's more likely they can get a LT-commitment.

lol wonder how torts is gunna like him.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, The Lock said:

My question is how well will Laine get along with Torts? Here you have a player with abnormal demands joining a team with a demanding coach. It should be fascinating to see what happens there if you ask me. lol

He wants more ice time, and Torts has a history of giving his top players too much ice time.

• Wat 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

He wants more ice time, and Torts has a history of giving his top players too much ice time.

Sure, but let's also not forget that they're both strong personalities. Either it'll work really well together or it'll be Dubois 2.0. lol

• Vintage 1

On 1/23/2021 at 5:48 PM, Convincing John said:

Columbus is actually one of the most surprising beautiful cities I’ve ever been too.  I don’t understand why it’s always so undesirable for players. Downtown where the arena is amazing. Everything is red brick with cool restaurants and Archway park I think it’s called in the middle of downtown. The city is super clean. It’s full of parks, your right in the middle of Cincinnati, Cleveland, Indianapolis and Pittsburgh. The OSU district is awesome if you like to party. They have the second biggest state fair in the country. I honestly believe that if they started winning down there it would become a very desirable place to play. Winnipeg at least has Grand Beach so it’s still ahead of Edmonton but it’s wayyyy worse than Columbus. 

I can confirm this. I was there for New Year's Eve Y2K and had a blast. I stayed a few months at my buddy's house in a area called Clintonville. The main street is called High St. So if you're a stoner, you'll fit right in! I can't think of one bad thing to say about it. Great city. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, smokes said:

What's with Torts and star players? Everywhere he goes a star gets traded from his team.

he's a head case.  picks favorites and whipping boys and everything in between.

and seems to think he's the only set - or at least the biggest set - of balls in the room at all times.  ballbuster, plain and simple.

and that shat, naturally rubs many grown men the wrong way.

but worse, he lets it leak all over the place at any time  - live behind the bench during games, blows head gaskets in press conferences, winds up devaluing his own assets in the process.  promised to get a handle on it, but clearly hasn't.

And this from someone that doesn't mind Tortorella in general - I like when he rips certain media, and I think he generally has 'good intentions' - however, his methods are counterproductive in many cases, and he's never seemed to wrap his arrogant mind - or at least altered his practice - around that.

3 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

I can confirm this. I was there for New Year's Eve Y2K and had a blast. I stayed a few months at my buddy's house in a area called Clintonville. The main street is called High St. So if you're a stoner, you'll fit right in! I can't think of one bad thing to say about it. Great city. 

I don't think it's the city - I think it's the organization.

They were incompetent for the longest time - and then once they rethinged their management group and started building a hell of an asset base = they brought in a coach that has a tendency toward train wrecks.

I don't think the lack of appeal of playing for the CBJ necessarily boils down to the city.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

Roslovic and Atkinson on the benching:

https://www.nhl.com/news/blue-jackets-laine-benched-against-hurricanes/c-321230370?tid=277548856

Roslovic, who scored the winning goal with 4:36 left in the third period, said he thinks he knows how Laine will respond to being benched.

"I think he's going to be one of the best players next game," he said. "He's a tough kid, he's going to bounce back hard."

Forward Cam Atkinson said Laine is coming into a group that has high expectations for each other.

"He'll be the first to admit he just has to be better," Atkinson said. "It's plain and simple, and he knows it. That's what we have to do, whether you're a new guy, an old guy, we have to hold each other accountable. It doesn't matter who you are or where you play, we have to all buy in."

Roslovic said he and Laine are getting used to how Tortorella coaches with shuffling lines and benching players.

"We know that it can happen at any time, and if you're not on your game and you're not playing hard, it's going to happen" Roslovic said. "He's going to scramble lines and he's not afraid to do it. You've seen him do it for a while now, I'm sure. I think he just finds the guys who are working hard and are going to make the team better."

1 hour ago, mll said:

Roslovic and Atkinson on the benching:

https://www.nhl.com/news/blue-jackets-laine-benched-against-hurricanes/c-321230370?tid=277548856

Roslovic, who scored the winning goal with 4:36 left in the third period, said he thinks he knows how Laine will respond to being benched.

"I think he's going to be one of the best players next game," he said. "He's a tough kid, he's going to bounce back hard."

Forward Cam Atkinson said Laine is coming into a group that has high expectations for each other.

"He'll be the first to admit he just has to be better," Atkinson said. "It's plain and simple, and he knows it. That's what we have to do, whether you're a new guy, an old guy, we have to hold each other accountable. It doesn't matter who you are or where you play, we have to all buy in."

Roslovic said he and Laine are getting used to how Tortorella coaches with shuffling lines and benching players.

"We know that it can happen at any time, and if you're not on your game and you're not playing hard, it's going to happen" Roslovic said. "He's going to scramble lines and he's not afraid to do it. You've seen him do it for a while now, I'm sure. I think he just finds the guys who are working hard and are going to make the team better."

Gotta admire the way the players talk about the culture in Columbus under Tortorella. Sounds like everyone is buying into the plan.

• Cheers 1

On 1/25/2021 at 11:26 AM, oldnews said:

he's a head case.  picks favorites and whipping boys and everything in between.

and seems to think he's the only set - or at least the biggest set - of balls in the room at all times.  ballbuster, plain and simple.

and that shat, naturally rubs many grown men the wrong way.

but worse, he lets it leak all over the place at any time  - live behind the bench during games, blows head gaskets in press conferences, winds up devaluing his own assets in the process.  promised to get a handle on it, but clearly hasn't.

And this from someone that doesn't mind Tortorella in general - I like when he rips certain media, and I think he generally has 'good intentions' - however, his methods are counterproductive in many cases, and he's never seemed to wrap his arrogant mind - or at least altered his practice - around that.

I've actually never been a huge fan of Torts. I think his methods are archaic and like you've said, counterproductive. It does more harm than it does good with many players. I can see Laine leaving Columbus if the treatment doesn't improve. And knowing Torts - he won't change, which leads me to believe that Laine is probably out of Columbus when he gets the chance to bolt, or request another trade. 

It's kind of funny how in this thread some people were trying to convince me that Laine would be a "perfect fit" and that Columbus won the trade. This benching just doesn't help those people in convincing me though. Perhaps it's what Laine needs, but perhaps it's a saga that is just getting started.

It's easy to convince oneself that Laine could work under Torts but, like I've said previously: 2 strong personalities. Either 2 strong personalities work very well, or it goes horribly wrong.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1