The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Trade) Laine to CBJ - Dubois to Jets

MikeBossy

7 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

A 2knd line center versus a 2knd line winger? Yes I agree! 1st line to 1st line?  Still agree.

A 2knd line center, versus a top line, perhaps all star winger? Upside higher than an all star? I am not so sure.

Laine has so much upside. Creates a match up problem as soon as he is on the ice. I dont believe the line in the sand is obvious, thats all. 

This is somewhat irrelevent though - semantics.

First - Dubois was arguably facing top line matchups regardless - he's the most dangerous offensive forward in Columbus.

Second - when you take him and put him behind Scheifele - imo it serves both - and makes them more difficult to handle - particularly when neither club is lacking talent on the wing, nor defensive/bottom six center depth.  I think this makes for very good conditions for Dubois - and additionally, you have to factor in that his production has come in less ice time than Laine....I don't think it's anywhere as simple as 2C for 1RW - and certainly can't be projected that way in the future.  Technically guys like Malkin, Draisaitl, etc are "2Cs" but it doesn't really diminish their potential impact in the slightest.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

Maybe if the centre is capable of doing things centres do....like win a lot of face-offs (which Dubois doesnt) and play a strong 2 way game (which Dubois doesnt).  A 12 point gap is the difference between a 1st liner and a 2nd liner (Pettersson and Horvat was a 13 point gap).

You're preaching to the choir - but you're probably also overestimating the significance of that scoring 'gap' - when some additional context arguably mitigates it even further (not to mention that there's nothing impressive about Laine's 'possession' numbers either).

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

This is somewhat irrelevent though - semantics.

First - Dubois was arguably facing top line matchups regardless - he's the most dangerous offensive forward in Columbus.

Second - when you take him and put him behind Scheifele - imo it serves both - and makes them more difficult to handle - particularly when neither club is lacking talent on the wing, nor defensive/bottom six center depth.  I think this makes for very good conditions for Dubois - and additionally, you have to factor in that his production has come in less ice time than Laine....I don't think it's anywhere as simple as 2C for 1RW - and certainly can't be projected that way in the future.  Technically guys like Malkin, Draisaitl, etc are "2Cs" but it doesn't really diminish their potential impact in the slightest.

Congratulations on breaking 50,000 reps

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

You're preaching to the choir - but you're probably also overestimating the significance of that scoring 'gap' - when some additional context arguably mitigates it even further

I don't think I'm overestimating the gap at all.  I also think context amplifies the gap...Dubois cant win faceoffs and he cant play a 2-way game (kill penalties or play a lot of d-zone starts).

• Wat 1

21 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

I don't think I'm overestimating the gap at all.  I also think context amplifies the gap...Dubois cant win faceoffs and he cant play a 2-way game (kill penalties or play a lot of d-zone starts).

You think that because you haven't really thought about  the contexts.

First, Laine has 85 powerplay points, to Dubois 34.

Dubois averages 42 pts per 82 5on5.

Laine averages 47 per 82.

Gap closing already - when you adjust for padding production on man advantages.

Which is not to mention the production of linemates, ice times, or the fact that Laine can't kill penalties, handle dzone starts, etc.

Laine played with Scheifele (73 pts) and Connor (73 pts)  last season (19:25 ice time) - the vast majority of his ice time - and secondary (Wheeler 65pts), Ehlers (58pts)...

Dubois played with a melting pot of Bjorkstrand (36 pts), Foligno (31pts), Atkinson (26pts), Nyqvist (42pts), Milano (18pts)....(17:56 ice time).  There were two seasons of Dubois playing with Panarin that also factor in - but it neither balances those contexts out, nor does it change the minimal gap in 5on5 production.

Yes - the context matters - and it mitigates - not amplifies - the gap.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Yea any player that’s softer than baby$h!+ will ask for a trade out. You’re in the f***ing show now, you expect your boss to treat you like a child? They are at the highest level of hockey, the smallest of errors has consequences and if you can’t correct your issues, you better bet your a$$ someone’s breathing down your neck.

Torts is a hardass and didn’t win a Stanley cup by coddling his players. He’s a straight shooter, if you can’t handle the hard truth you arent cut out for his team. Why is it only PLD right now that wanted out bad enough that he stopped playing hockey with any effort? The kid is an entitled brat. The rest of the players didn’t give up despite Torts wrath. Those guys are the team players, PLD is the selfish player who’s there to make his money and doesn’t like being yelled at. To me, PLD quit on his team.

Maybe look at the list of players to ask for trades under torts and cite their reasons.

Everyone from St Louis to Dubois.

Go on now call them all entitled

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

To be honest the name was just inspired by the old Boring Sean Monahan account on Twitter. I find the guy very overrated. 

ironically, some of my favorite posters on these boards have usernames of players I don't really care for.

Brad Marchand is another good example (excellent perspective as well, imo).

• Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

CBJs win this one.

How pissed would you be if you were PLD?

He’s going from Tortarella to Maurice. Players love Maurice. He’s going to enjoy hockey again.

Winnipeg has has no trouble retaining talent over the years. He’s also got his dad there, gets to play with more talented wingers, and has Scheifele and Stastny to mentor and shelter him. Seems like a really good fit.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Roslovic was drafted in the first round, and didn't pan out. The return was only a 3rd rounder.

Sometimes players don't work out. It's just the business.

But first rounders always work out, unless they were drafted by GM Jim Benning, isn't that right 30% of Canuck fans?

47 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

The rest of the players didn’t give up despite Torts wrath. Those guys are the team players.

Just wait, now that torts doesn't have PLD to yell at and belittle. NExt man up, next man gone.

35 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Jesus - I need to get a life lol.

Sure go get a life if you want to, just not mine it's taken, thanks. :)

• Cheers 4