The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Trade) Laine to CBJ - Dubois to Jets

MikeBossy

52 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Hey... look a little deeper yourself. There’s a little article for you to read about St. Louis and Tortorella, whom you mentioned wanted a trade because of Tortorella. And that article is broader than one year. Its at the end of St Louis career and he requested for the big bad bully Tortorella.

Also... that 1 year that I pointed out, is after the same amount of years under Tortorella as PLD. 
St. Louis didn’t pout and quit on his team. He became the best player in the league.

Pouty-luc Dubois quit on his team like a child throwing a tantrum

Uh huh.

So 04 you say.

We'll ignore everything else regarding torts and just go with he's a well loved coach with no history of issues with his players and end this debate :bigblush:

• Cheers 1

@Warhippy and to your sarcastic comment of guys like St. Louis and their entitlement.... just refer back to the 2014 Olympic where GM of the TBL and Team Canada Steve Yzerman left Martin St. Louis off the Olympic roster.... Little St. Louis threw a tantrum and wanted a trade because his own GM didn’t pick him. Although he did get onto the Olympic roster due to a last minute injury. So no, Torts wasn’t the reason and yes St Louis is entitled

edit: we’ll just ignore that 2014 incident and pretend it’s all on Torts image.gif.b625180badfd2ac2cf4cc6b5de5de1dd.gif

Edited by knucklehead91
  • Like 1

I bet Laine is actually stoked. Everybody saying "Lol Laine with Torts".

He'll be number 1 PP, number 1 winger. And if he skates and hits (something he seems to be good at), he'll get all the ice time he can eat.

Remember how the twins did with Torts? Because they worked their asses off training and in games... so it was a buffet of ice time for them. Trouble is they weren't in their 20s anymore so they kinda ran out of energy. Apparently he really respected their attitude though.

If Laine shows up, puts his head down and just works, he'll get along great with Torts - remember, guys who are 'skill' guys can do great with him as long as they work.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

@Warhippy and to your sarcastic comment of guys like St. Louis and their entitlement.... just refer back to the 2014 Olympic where GM of the TBL and Team Canada Steve Yzerman left Martin St. Louis off the Olympic roster.... Little St. Louis threw a tantrum and wanted a trade because his own GM didn’t pick him. Although he did get onto the Olympic roster due to a last minute injury. So no, Torts wasn’t the reason and yes St Louis is entitled

edit: we’ll just ignore that 2014 incident and pretend it’s all on Torts image.gif.b625180badfd2ac2cf4cc6b5de5de1dd.gif

nono

There's not endless statements from players through the years.  It's a player issue always.  

Said we were done though mate, you're right.  Totally.

Win for Winnipeg.

Dubois is much more of an all round player than Laine... who is a slug defensively as well as being too self interested.

I predict Laine ends up in New York after next year... he's another Ilya Kovalchuk type.

Winnipeg will have one of the best 1-2 centerman punches in the league with Dubois.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

nono

There's not endless statements from players through the years.  It's a player issue always.  

Said we were done though mate, you're right.  Totally.

Well you’ve only mentioned 2. I’m quite interested to know these endless statements from all these players over the years.

One of the two you mentioned was Martin St. Louis and I was quite confused because he wanted Torts at the ceremony, he had some of his best years under Torts and the guy in Tampa he had a feud with and demanded a trade because of, was Steve Yzerman.

all you gave me to work with was the current crybaby PLD and St. Louis. St. Louis you were dead wrong on. Maybe it is a player issue?

drop the sarcasm and pick up some facts.

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Baer. said:

Why? 40 goal scorer for 50 point center?

Yeah thats what Im thinking too, best on best, Laine is a far superior player and the 3rd round pick the Jets got, they can only hope they can get a guy to become a decent 3rd-4th centre in Rozlovic. Seems to me that Winnipeg got fleeced, I was expecting CBJ to give up more and get less

15 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

It would take a lot for me to live in Winnipeg. An NHL salary would do it but it wouldn't be my first stop.

Ive never been to Columbus but I'll guarantee I'd rather be in a "small" city in the US than a small city in Canada. Ive been to Winnipeg and its 5 notches below Vancouver I'll tell you that much. Never will I go back there again

• Vintage 1

14 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Win for Winnipeg.

Dubois is much more of an all round player than Laine... who is a slug defensively as well as being too self interested.

I predict Laine ends up in New York after next year... he's another Ilya Kovalchuk type.

Winnipeg will have one of the best 1-2 centerman punches in the league with Dubois.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Win for Winnipeg.

Where do people get this impression that Dubois is some form of 2-way player?  He isnt...he gets 65% o-zone starts and is terrible at face-offs.

3 hours ago, fanofvan said:

Where do people get this impression that Dubois is some form of 2-way player?  He isnt...he gets 65% o-zone starts and is terrible at face-offs.

I think because it gets repeated all the time - without much basis (perhaps that was his scouting report out of junior) - Scott whatshisface repeated this last night in the CBC intermission when they reviewed the deal.

That said - I don't think it's integral to Winnipeg winning the deal.  Regardless of whether Dubois develops into that player (he's prematurely characterized as) - I still think the conditions for his success will be very good in Winnipeg - and the Jets don't need him to come in and be that player - at least not short term.

They have:

Scheifele = a clear 1C.

Lowry - a very solid 3C that can handle hard minutes/good faceoff guy and hard to play against.

Steen - a very good defensive forward / natural center.

Copp - a good depth center (and another good faceoff guy) - and another principal penalty killing center (Lowry the other).

Nate Thompson - a very good hard minutes depth center - great faceoff guy and hard to play against (on IR presently).

Wheeler is also capable of stepping into center minutes and himself a respectable faceoff guy.  Little also has utility as a two way forward (and they have Jansen Harkins in the system).  Roslovic in a sense was probably about as tradeable as assets get.

Chevy tends to build his teams this way (ie last year they have Eakin and Letestu in the mix as well) - I couldn't agree with the approach more - you can never have too many natural centers, two way forwards, or guys that can handle hard minutes imo.

So the Jets are a group that doesn't necessarily need Dubois to handle 'two way' minutes - they can feed him opportunities - or they can utilize him as a winger - and in either event, it would appear like pretty good conditions for him to be successful (what they'll probably want/need from him is to be a productive powerforward at this point (and arguably could/should be a comparable to Laine in that sense).

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I think because it gets repeated all the time - without much basis (perhaps that was his scouting report out of junior) - Scott whatshisface repeated this last night in the CBC intermission when they reviewed the deal.

That said - I don't think it's integral to Winnipeg winning the deal.  Regardless of whether Dubois develops into that player (he's prematurely characterized as) - I still think the conditions for his success will be very good in Winnipeg - and the Jets don't need him to come in and be that player - at least not short term.

They have:

Scheifele = a clear 1C.

Lowry - a very solid 3C that can handle hard minutes/good faceoff guy and hard to play against.

Steen - a very good defensive forward / natural center.

Copp - a good depth center (and another good faceoff guy) - and another principal penalty killing center (Lowry the other).

Nate Thompson - a very good hard minutes depth center - great faceoff guy and hard to play against (on IR presently).

Wheeler is also capable of stepping into center minutes and himself a respectable faceoff guy.  Little also has utility as a two way forward (and they have Jansen Harkins in the system).  Roslovic in a sense was probably about as tradeable as assets get.

Chevy tends to build his teams this way (ie last year they have Eakin and Letestu in the mix as well) - I couldn't agree with the approach more - you can never have too many natural centers, two way forwards, or guys that can handle hard minutes imo.

So the Jets are a group that doesn't necessarily need Dubois to handle 'two way' minutes - they can feed him opportunities - or they can utilize him as a winger - and in either event, it would appear like pretty good conditions for him to be successful (what they'll probably want/need from him is to be a productive powerforward at this point (and arguably could/should be a comparable to Laine in that sense).

They also have Stastny (for this year at least).  But I agree with you, that they don't need him to be a 2-way centre..just don't know why people (not you) think Winnipeg won the deal because they got a more complete, 2-way player. 

Personally, I don't think Dubois has the same goal scoring prowess as Laine but he may produce with the better linemates he will see in Winnipeg.