The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stop overvaluing 1st round picks - they are JUST a pick.

Rate this topic

Dazzle

I agree with you on most of what you've said, particularly the overvalue of the picks. Picks are a 'future asset'. That's all they are.

Where I don't agree is the comparison to any other team. I genunely don't give a ***k how another franchise (except Columbus, who I am also a fan of) decides to run things. It does not matter one iota if they think missing the playoffs 5-6-7 years in a row is fine.

I know that I'm not okay with it. I understand it's going to happen to the best and worst of teams at some point, but demanding "more" until the goal is reached is the only way to get there. I want Vancouver to have a cup. Anything less is ultimately failure, so everything should be going towards that goal. If it means popular players, picks, whatever have to be moved on to get there, so be it. The cup is what matters, at least to me. Other people might be okay with an exciting team that will never go anywhere. If that's the case, the Leafs and Oilers are that way --->

Comparing us to Buffalo or Arizona or indeed anybody else is not 'relevant'.

• Like 1

This would be a better argument if the teams you mentioned (Avalanche, Coyotes, Islanders) were still persisting with the same front offices in 2021 that they did in 2014 like we are.

It's been 7 years of trash hockey in Vancouver.  We don't need to wait for the end of the season because we've had more than half of a decade to see what the decision-makers of this team can do.  It's not good enough and little moments of brilliance here and there are unacceptable.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 4

? Dal Colle was never available. He was selected the pick before Virtanen.

While I agree that this fan base overreacts a lot, the majority of Canadian fanbases are the same (just look at Toronto).

The draft has always been a crapshoot and I think it's just this idea of having that brand new, shiny toy to play with that goes into the mind of this fanbase.

However, this was a pretty interesting analysis. 

56 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

1st round picks have never been more valuable than in the modern NHL. 

It’s pretty much the most valuable asset you have. Not only is it completely free, but that pick comes with an entry level contract and nearly a decade of full control. The Benning regime has been pretty good overall in the first round which also adds to the value of the pick. MG didn’t give a crap about his cause he couldn’t draft anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

It’s pretty much the most valuable asset you have. Not only is it completely free, but that pick comes with an entry level contract and nearly a decade of full control. The Benning regime has been pretty good overall in the first round which also adds to the value of the pick. MG didn’t give a crap about his cause he couldn’t draft anyway. 

Mg drafted Horvat 

his two top ten were Horvat and Hodgson who was the consensus  pick and looked unreal at the wjc that year. 
Most of his picks came from the late first rd because his team was built to win.

Most of Jb picks  been top ten and he had a far better scouting staff. judd did a great job finding us diamonds Gillis had delarone who was terrible. 
cap era changed the value of picks to since buying established stars cost way more than developing them. 
Draft develop = long term success 

cap friendly 

and tradable when you’ve build up DEPTH from with in there fire not needing to over pay worn out veteran plugs. 

but yeah picks are overrated. 

27 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

? Dal Colle was never available. He was selected the pick before Virtanen.

While I agree that this fan base overreacts a lot, the majority of Canadian fanbases are the same (just look at Toronto).

The draft has always been a crapshoot and I think it's just this idea of having that brand new, shiny toy to play with that goes into the mind of this fanbase.

However, this was a pretty interesting analysis. 

Judging from how almost everyone responded, my point was not seen because people wanted to put in their snarky comments.

It's not that first round picks are useless. That wasn't my message at all. My main point was that this fanbase overreacts on everything, including first round draft picks. Lots of people were raging over the fact that a single first round pick was traded, even though it was going to be a mid to late first rounder. Those same people stayed quiet after Miller proved his worth. Unsurprisingly, the toxic members of fans have returned again like vultures.

The fact that people read (or misread) this thread shows a clear lack of critical thinking and reading comprehension. Looks like we'll never get past grade 2.

So done with this board. Garbage fanbase.

27 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Judging from how almost everyone responded, my point was not seen because people wanted to put in their snarky comments.

It's not that first round picks are useless. That wasn't my message at all. My main point was that this fanbase overreacts on everything, including first round draft picks. Lots of people were raging over the fact that a single first round pick was traded, even though it was going to be a mid to late first rounder. Those same people stayed quiet after Miller proved his worth. Unsurprisingly, the toxic members of fans have returned again like vultures.

The fact that people read (or misread) this thread shows a clear lack of critical thinking and reading comprehension. Looks like we'll never get past grade 2.

So done with this board. Garbage fanbase.

I agree. 

If you want something, you need to also give up something.

One thing I remember finding funny is how this fanbase treated Miller like he was some ancient and worn out player when we traded for him.

He was only 26 which is still very young. For some reason, the fans seem to think that only 18-22 year olds are acceptable and then start some sort of age cutoff. 

However, it is not wrong for people to be inclined to disagree with you.

Some people might make "snarky" or sarcastic comments but you shouldn't take those personally.