The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning, An Excellent Evaluator of Talent, BUT NO GM!

Rate this topic

Seeker1

Just now, CaptainKool said:

Then, if we get a few games winning streak. Jim Benning GM of the year. LOL

It's not the same people saying opposite things though. Different people have different opinions and that'll happen when your fanbase is massive.

Edited by Grape

The Canucks cup window is coming up they honestly should be contenders now, but we'll have to wait a couple years. If Benning's cap management was a bit better we would have been able to bring back Toffoli and Marky this year and looked probably a lot more solid. They got prospects and players continuing to get better i'm not worried about the Canucks now I know they'll be really good in the future.  (Edit: i don't understand how anyone can say haha... If the Canucks kept improving from last years run they would be 100% contenders. Jokes on them anyway for being wrong.)

Edited by ItsMillerTime
  • Haha 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

I've been a fan of the Canucks, and although I'm a Seattleite, I still will have a soft spot in my heart for them--naturally, I'll be rooting for the Kraken when they begin play. I'm far from an expert, but the way the Canucks manage the salary cap seems baffling. If you're going to let your most valuable player walk, the one who bailed out your porous defense--I'm speaking, of course, of Jacob Markstrom--then shouldn't you be concentrating on shoring up your defense? No more Chris Tanev, Edler is another year older, Tyler Myers is slow, and Quinn Hughes--well, he's very talented, but he's like a vegetarian who doesn't like vegetables. I'm not saying he should be converted to forward, but if he's going to come forward, somebody needs to stay back and even rotate back. I see this maybe improving this season but never being great because the Canucks don't have the right personnel in place.

I have a prediction, and I don't mind being wrong: The Kraken will win a Stanley Cup before the Canucks do. There's just something off with the Canucks--I wouldn't be surprised if it can be ultimately traced to ownership. I think Travis Green is a good coach, I really do, but he can only do so much.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I’m actually quite pleased with Joulevi. Injuries delayed his career, but right now he’s got the best +\- on the Canucks.

Umm... because he has hardly played, and the times he played it was in sheltered minutes against lesser competition.

Boeser, Petterson, and Hughes are drafted higher if a redraft happens.  Juolevi and Virtanen are taken later.

Anyone reasonable would agree with that.  Benning has done fairly well in the draft and that is his strong suit, but it isn’t like he has been at some sort of genius level.  

For being able to pick high in the last 7 drafts and a possible 49 players, we don’t have a lot of surprise guys come out of the woodwork playing significant roles on the team.

His best skill is drafting, so trading ways so many good picks seems like it was a bad idea.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Provost said:

Umm... because he has hardly played, and the times he played it was in sheltered minutes against lesser competition.

Boeser, Petterson, and Hughes are drafted higher if a redraft happens.  Juolevi and Virtanen are taken later.

Anyone reasonable would agree with that.  Benning has done fairly well in the draft and that is his strong suit, but it isn’t like he has been at some sort of genius level.  

For being able to pick high in the last 7 drafts and a possible 49 players, we don’t have a lot of surprise guys come out of the woodwork playing significant roles on the team.

His best skill is drafting, so trading ways so many good picks seems like it was a bad idea.

Were the scouts let go, because we didn't need them ?

Boeser was picked where he was ranked

Hughes was to go higher and fell to us

Petterson was a reach spurred on by his scouting staff

Podz was to go higher but 2 yrs in Russia dropped him

A lot on here, would have made those choices too with scouting reports and rankings and being able to see them play

If one is a great evaluator on unproven NHL talent, how can one be so poor on trading or signing proven NHL players?

Maybe it's because. 

Scouts search unproven NHL talent and report the info

GM and coachs evaluate proven current NHL players

I agree we need more returns from the lower rounds that make HUGE contributions,

We just saw some on Montreal and Vancouver does not have that playing in the NHL that make other teams envious

• Like 1

Meh Loui was consensus a fantastic signing at the time he had just ripped it up with the Sedins and put up 30+ goals for boston. Hindsight's a biotch.

Myers took a discount to come here and is literally the only guy we have that makes the other team keep their head up. 

Beagle I maintain is a beast for us. even if you don't think so. 

Roussel is no Burrows/Jarko oops 

Realistically I aint mad at JB its not his fault we are down to 3 nhl D and Petterson is in a drought. Letting Markstrom and Tanev walk sucks in the short term especially because they are flames now but long term had he made those deals I might be right there with you calling for his head so IMO he is on the right track unfortunately there are going to be ups and downs.

• Cheers 4