The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning, An Excellent Evaluator of Talent, BUT NO GM!

Rate this topic

Seeker1

NAH JIM MAY BE A GREAT GUY ...but in reality he does not know how to pick players with good character...talent ok he sees it ok but i like the players we have they just dont have the extra gears other NHL players have that are super stars...canucks have to work so hard for every win ....hows that..the good teams take turns in who will be the game differences...if he makes a trades he does it with no luck too..

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

EhwKGl5WkAAlIjJ?format=png&name=small

Who cares about this...not to be a dick but honestly, there is 1 and only 1 goal for a team...to win the Stanley Cup.

Why on earth would fans care about what position their GM finishes for an award...whoever wins the cup should win it cause they just proved that their team was the best to be the Champs

• Wat 1

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

And once again, the overreaction from this board continues.

Is it over reacting though?

Its not the record, it's how they're playing. We lead the league in high danger chances against by a country mile, its not even close.

But I would place more blame on green instead of jimbo. But hes not at fault either 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Sbisa & Gudbranson probably more fitting here.

they are still in the nhl.  van must be doing something right, so many ex canucks in the nhl  !

JB pro drafting debatable, no question was anticipating higher payroll, couldn't have predicted downturn in spending.   

• Upvote 1

I think everybody has to slow down a little

If we pick it up and start winning, it is soon enough to still get in the playoffs

Personally, I seen some good signs today, and Montreal is a honest team, who plays hard

A couple of crossbars/posts, Hoglander and Pettersson score....it was closer than the score indicated, IMO

Conversely, this is a good season to loose, if that is what happens

A high draft pick or 2, and a hole lot of cap coming off

In a year where Pettersson, Hughes, Gaudette, Juolevi and Demko all need new contracts

It is probably the best year for it to happen......so now watch them all take off and play well

To me it is a win / win

Now, as for Benning being a good GM.......well not outstanding

But there are worse........But I think his drafting record is pretty good

Which may be his saving grace and his down fall, as when Aqualini thinks he has enough young talent

Benning's poor contract signings will look bigger not smaller

I think the question is, does Aqualini want to go through a bunch of bad contract signings again?

That is the risk............

If Benning can convince him that is in the past, well maybe he is safe, if not......bye bye

I visit this question alot..............was signing Ferland a good risk?

I do not think so, and neither does alot of GM's who passed on him

If I was Aqualini......I ask that question, as I think it is relevant to the question of the day

And I like JB

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, Comeback_Kings said:

speaking of JB drafting, 2016 draft, Canucks wanted Dubois, gets traded for Laine today.  Meanwhile Juolevi emerging in the Canucks lineup...  

They wanted Dubois to trade for P.K Subban. Thank goodness that didn't come to pass.

https://thecanuckway.com/2018/01/25/vancouver-canucks-nearly-traded-for-p-k-subban/#:~:text=According to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman,Nashville Predators for Shea Weber.

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, ImConfused said:

This post has the perfect balance between bold text, underlined text, and BOLDED AND UNDERLINED text that I've ever seen on the internet.

5/10 might click again if I had the chance to go back in time, and, might just not lol

You do know there's this thing called the salary cap to consider right?

He also picked Schmidt over Tanev, Hamonic over Stetcher, and JT Miller over (insert 1st round pick here) if you wanna be like that

And who and what are the reasons for the salary cap issues?

He "picked" Schmidt over Tanev...because Vegas was busy improving their team by signing a top 10 defenceman in the league

He "picked" Hamonic over Stetcher...because he was the literal last FA option available for depth

He "picked" JT Miller over a 1st round pick...because desperate GM was desperate, despite dealing with a team that was in cap trouble.  Besides, let's not act like this pick was always going to be a mid-late 1st when their previous 3 seasons 1st round picks were all in the top 10.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 4
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Alain Vigneault said:

And who and what are the reasons for the salary cap issues?

I blame Loui E and Luongo mainly but you act like it's apples to apples when saying he could have chosen either Holtby or Markstrom when in fact you know as well as we all do that's not the case, especially when Petey and Hughes need their big boy contracts in the very near future.

Agree to disagree I guess

Cheers bro

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Yeah, excellent evaluator of talent

Picking Holtby over Markstrom, Virtanen over Toffoli, opting for Sbisa over Vatanen/Theodore, moving McCann for Gudbranson.

A+ job

100% agree with this.

We could argue that Benning is good at evaluating talents during the draft but his evaluation of talent when building the team is not.

McCann for Gudbransson is a perfect example. McCann right now is a 0.5 PPG player for the Penguins.

Other examples are his Free Agent signings and re-signings on players like Sutter or Baertschi. 

Speaking of Baertschi, Benning gave up a second for him and the second turned out to be a pretty good NHL defenseman for the Flames. 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Excellent evaluator of talent?

Two words:  Virtanen Juolevi 

I Agree that Lazy Jake's been less than stellar - but I'd give Juolevi at least this year and maybe even next to draw any conclusions on him.. So far, He's kept his head above water and we all know DMen hit peak much later than Fwd's.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

not easy being a gm i still think mike gillis was the guy...he made good trades i think and yes he made errors too on some but overall think he knew his stuff...i love the guys on the canucks but they are still missing a few ingredients....

Edited by hockeygod77
km
  • Haha 1