The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning, An Excellent Evaluator of Talent, BUT NO GM!

Rate this topic

Seeker1

"GM, AND ASSISTANT GM NEED TO BE REMOVED AS SOON AS THE 2021 SEASON IS OVER!"

Oh No Reaction GIF by WWE

so... yea lets confirm someones firing right now - but just wait until the season is over to announce it...

lol iono why I let posts like this bother me, off i go... lalala what a beautiful day, suns out! :P

• Cheers 1

On 1/24/2021 at 2:29 AM, hockeygod77 said:

not easy being a gm i still think mike gillis was the guy...he made good trades i think and yes he made errors too on some but overall think he knew his stuff...i love the guys on the canucks but they are still missing a few ingredients....

yep gillis is still having an effect on the canucks ,loungos recapture penalty  yeah the one thats takes 3 million of the cap this year still , that guy  that left the team in a mess with no draft picks lol

Personally this is how I see Benning.

Drafting:  Excellent

Trading: Very Good

Signing own players to reasonable contracts: Good

Free agent Signings: poor

Overall I think he is an above average GM and our team is in much better shape then before Benning.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

18 hours ago, the grinder said:

yep gillis is still having an effect on the canucks ,loungos recapture penalty  yeah the one thats takes 3 million of the cap this year still , that guy  that left the team in a mess with no draft picks lol

image.png.93e0621a561fe705c0f224dd4e8df106.png

image.png.9ee5794589aa4769efed6dc259431bcf.png

image.png.53e54c2580d70531ad4726ea8b862c4c.png

image.png.4724cf5a2e794408cfefd2a57caaf5f6.png

20 hours ago, thrago said:

Personally this is how I see Benning.

Drafting:  Excellent

Trading: Very Good

Signing own players to reasonable contracts: Good

Free agent Signings: poor

Overall I think he is an above average GM and our team is in much better shape then before Benning.

How can Benning's trading be any good? 

He over paid for Eric Gudbransson, Brandon Sutter, Linden Vey, Prust, lost the Baertschi trade. Couldn't trade Dan Hamhius or Randim Vrbata. Didn't get more for Thomas Vanek despite being getting 41 pts in 61 games. Burrows and Hansen trade led to assets that didn't amount to anything. 

Benning is poor in trading? He hasn't even won a trade. 

I mean regards Vanek and Vrbata. One had a good offensive season the other had a down year. But Vrbata was still tradeable. Tatar had a similar down year with the Redwings and still managed to get a King's random for trading him. 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Like 1
  • Wat 3

59 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

He over paid for Eric Gudbransson, Brandon Sutter, Linden Vey, Prust, lost the Baertschi trade. Couldn't trade Dan Hamhius or Randim Vrbata. Didn't get more for Thomas Vanek despite being getting 41 pts in 61 games. Burrows and Hansen trade led to assets that didn't amount to anything. 

I mean regards Vanek and Vrbata. One had a good offensive season the other had a down year. But Vrbata was still tradeable. Tatar had a similar down year with the Redwings and still managed to get a King's random for trading him. 

When you consider his status as a rookie GM, sure, his method of trading was bad the first year but you can't deny that he also brought us some goodies.  After identified his mistakes, he quickly let them go through trade rather than keeping them and the team started to improve.  This indicates that he is able to handle the learning curve.  His trades has been excellent for a few years.  I do however agree that his free agent is poor but he has not done any free agent this past off-season save for Hamoic and Holtby   I have a feeling that once the cap space is created through expansion draft and contract coming off the books, he should be able to find players that he wanted with more room, not for long term but short term as well.   Honestly, I do not expect the Canucks to go anywhere until Luongo's recapture penalty is off the books for their spending power to return to the full strength in the cap world.  Any other GM that has to deal with Luongo's recapture will hamstrung any other GM in the league and Benning has done fairly well managing this obstacles. 

Edited by coolboarder

35 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

every GM has a problem in trades ,  with Guddy  he was supposed to be that physical dman that we needed  didn't work so he got traded for Pearson.  Brandon Sutter was supposed to  2 nd /3rd line center meh ya a bit of a overpayment  but we needed a center at that time . , Linden vey meh who cares , Willie D wanted him . Prust  for Kassian ?   come on Kassian was having his personal problems /rehab /etc going on , lucky to even get Prust  at that time.  Baer for a 2nd , took a chance was serviceable for a few years when we needed some skill .  Hamhius had a no trade clause  and didn't waive   his clause., Burrows and Hansen,   they played one season each after getting traded  you werent gonna get much in return .  Vrbata  had a -30 rating  get what a 6 th round pick???  and Vanek ?  you realize we traded we traded Vanek for Tyler Motte . i think we won the Vanek trade 

Petey is a great young player, won the Calder 2 years ago. But this season, after the team lost Markstrom and Tanev, Petey hasn't looked himself, he looks unhappy and unmotivated TBH. I expect he'll bounce back and regain his scoring touch. I found this interesting in yesterday's paper:, an excerpt from an article by Steve Ewen:

"Pettersson, 22, and Hughes, 21, are both pending restricted free agents and unable to bolt if they don't like what's happening to the Canucks."

Got me thinking, why would he write that? Maybe they're both actually unhappy in VAN. I know Benning would never trade them, but what if?

to NJ: Elias Pettersson

to VAN: Jack Hughes +

NJ would have to add. Hughes did go #1 and has 7 points in 6 games in his 2nd season, but  Pettersson won the Calder, and has been outstanding prior to this season. 

Not saying I want to trade Petey or that it would happen, but what if he wanted out?

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Well I'm not going to get to much into this with you but I noticed you only listed trades early in his tenure, he has improved immensely since then.  As for never winning a trade, not sure how Baertschi is a loss I'd love to hear your explanation of that.  But off the top of my head for wins we have Guddy for Pearson, a 1st and junk for Miller, a 3rd for Schmidt, I'd also call Vanek for Motte a win aswell but each to their own.  

10 minutes ago, the grinder said:

. Vrbata  had a -30 rating  get what a 6 th round pick???  and Vanek ?  you realize we traded we traded Vanek for Tyler Motte . i think we won the Vanek trade 

I will only comment on the Vanek and Vrbata point and will add more later. 

Getting Motte was good yes but what was Motte in the Blue Jackets organization before he got traded. He wasn't even a regular in their lineup. 

It's great the Motte panned but another team could have gotten more for Vanek. Maybe Motte + a 3rd or 4th round pick at least. To those calling me crazy just look what The Rangers got for Nash (who was struggling that year and had less pts than Vanek). 

As for Vrbata. He could have been traded and if not it's on Benning. Tatar had similar numbers and was also a minus player when he got traded go Vegas. So I cant see the league not wanting Vrbata for a rental. 

6 minutes ago, thrago said:

Well I'm not going to get to much into this with you but I noticed you only listed trades early in his tenure, he has improved immensely since then.  As for never winning a trade, not sure how Baertschi is a loss I'd love to hear your explanation of that.  But off the top of my head for wins we have Guddy for Pearson, a 1st and junk for Miller, a 3rd for Schmidt, I'd also call Vanek for Motte a win aswell but each to their own.  

I would think the argument is that you have 3 million in Baer and you won't even sub him into a game, which is 3 Million you could have used on Toffoli at least

Plus who knows what we would have drafted with what we gave up?

I'd like to see how Baer performs and give him another chance to see how he does and if good enough you have options to keep, trade, or waive

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

I will only comment on the Vanek and Vrbata point and will add more later. 

Getting Motte was good yes but what was Motte in the Blue Jackets organization before he got traded. He wasn't even a regular in their lineup. 

It's great the Motte panned but another team could have gotten more for Vanek. Maybe Motte + a 3rd or 4th round pick at least. To those calling me crazy just look what The Rangers got for Nash (who was struggling that year and had less pts than Vanek). 

As for Vrbata. He could have been traded and if not it's on Benning. Tatar had similar numbers and was also a minus player when he got traded go Vegas. So I cant see the league not wanting Vrbata for a rental. 

Vrbata purposely used his limited NTC to make it impossible to trade him (and he said so in an interview after the season ended).  Have you been following this team for awhile or are you a new fan?  If your not you need to pay more attention to what is actually going on.

Just now, ba;;isticsports said:

I would think the argument is that you have 3 million in Baer and you won't even sub him into a game, which is 3 Million you could have used on Toffoli at least

I'd like to see how Baer performs and give him another chance to see how he does and if good enough you have options to keep, trade, or waive

His contract has nothing to do with the trade that contract was signed after he was traded and it was a good contract at the time, until he got a series of concussions that derailed his career.  

5 minutes ago, thrago said:

The Miller trade worked out for Vancouver because they made the playoffs last season and considering where the Canucks are at now it was good that they did. 

Still giving up a 1st round under the conditions was a bit steep. Considering the Bolts were in Cap trouble. Sens got a better deal getting Matt Duchene from the Avs who were in no hurry to trade one od their elite Centers. 

4 minutes ago, thrago said:

Vrbata purposely used his limited NTC to make it impossible to trade him (and he said so in an interview after the season ended).  Have you been following this team for awhile or are you a new fan?  If your not you need to pay more attention to what is actually going on.

NTC's can be waived as long as the player agrees to it. Benning just didn't do a good job convincing Vrbata then. 

6 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Also Calgary used the pick to select a top 4 d-man which Vancouver needs right now 

2 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

The Miller trade worked out for Vancouver because they made the playoffs last season and considering where the Canucks are at now it was good that they did. 

Still giving up a 1st round under the conditions was a bit steep. Considering the Bolts were in Cap trouble. Sens got a better deal getting Matt Duchene from the Avs who were in no hurry to trade one od their elite Centers. 

You can try and hold teams over a barrel to not just win a trade but to get a grand slam but you will find out shortly that no one wants to trade with you anymore.  Miller for a 1st plus was a steal, no other way of looking at it.

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

Also Calgary used the pick to select a top 4 d-man which Vancouver needs right now 

That trade was years ago, you trade for current needs and draft for the future and Vancouver desperately needed forwards at that time.