The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Ottawa Senators | January 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHLN, SNP, TSN5, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

5 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I can believe that if the Canucks tank out this year that JB is toast - there’s a shelf life there whether I’m okay with the guy or not. 

But on the other hand, people have been cheering for the Canucks to suck so the GM loses his job for 5 years.  That’s nothing new.

Plus, Aquilini is the only guy who can fire JB... is Frankie out there at the water cooler starting rumours?  Otherwise it’d just be random speculation “from inside the organization.” 

There’s just so much wishful thinking and projection lately (Hughes and Pettersson teaming up with their agent to run Jim out of town!) because the team is stumbling.  This cryptic tweet feels like pandering to that group of people whose entire fandom revolves around crapping on management. 

Edit: and I like Faber

just wondering if players are leaking stuff to these guys. I mean Horvat and Miller was confused on the decision this  past FA

16 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

read this tweet from Sat, and it a read in between the lines type of stuff. i am just wondering has Benning lost the room

I like Sat too but that’s also pure speculation.  

It’s a gigantic leap for me to take quotes about being “confused” “surprised” and “shocked” to outright revolt and refusing to try to start the year.  Most guys who straight up demand trades still go out and compete for their teammates and their own pride/competitive nature. 

We’re just playing like a team on a playoff hangover and a lot of turnover. Lacking structure and used to being bailed out with top flight goaltending.

I will say though, on second thought and back to the original tweet, if we get lit up by OTTAWA like we did vs Montreal for 3 games maybe all bets ARE off.  That would be a pretty huge disaster 20% of the season done and considering Covid restrictions it’s a rare situation where it’s easier to can the GM than the coach... even if I think it’s more on Green and co than Benning.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

just wondering if players are leaking stuff to these guys. I mean Horvat and Miller was confused on the decision this  past FA

I hope not.. those guys are leaders and pretty mature. They can be disappointed but still do their jobs.  

Guys like Schmidt, Holtby and Hamonic are pretty well regarded too - not like JB gutted the team and left them completely hanging.

6 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

If this team's psych is this fragile that losing some good vets will cause them to tumble all the way down a cliff than we have way bigger problems than JB.

We are talking about rebuilding the whole team here.

That’s the other side of this.  If this is a tantrum from losing a few friends this core doesn’t have a hope in being a contender.

(I don’t think that’s the case at all.)

Form is temporary. Class is permanent.

Pettersson and Hughes will come through this form slump soon enough.

GO Canucks GO! Don't over think it, just battle hard, put in the effort, play the right way and you will win this next game. One step at a time boys!

I was very happy with our game saturday. I thought we tightened up, we looked less lost, and we were physical. I'm expecting a turnaround tonight and during this series against the Sens. It would be foolish to act like these are easy wins, this is the NHL and the Sens have nothing to lose and everything to prove. Should be a fun series for everyone involved, with a lot on the line for both teams. We have the experience and skill advantage, we need to exploit it. 

Go Canucks Go! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Its a younger team with some rookies in the lineup..

This is how a team grows. Pod will come in at end of year gain some experience...

I'm looking at 3 years from now to truly compete...

A couple of years ago Avs made the playoffs but missed them the following year. As the players grew now they are an elite team..

Not surprised canucks taking a step back this season.  

Does growing mean declining from the previous season and your leadership core having doubts what management is doing?

• Cheers 1

Canucks improved a lot in last Saturday.

We get a good opportunity to turn the boat around this week.

Trust Green will make some adjustments in the Monday's game.

We need to reduce the giveaway, to increase the shootings, speed and moving.

GO CANUCKS GO

Jimbo has left the Canucks with no wiggle room cap wise.  As soon as he made the deal for Schmidt it left no money for Tanev. If they want to try to bring in Tryamkin and Pod then they need to have some cap room but he has none. He has a young team that is just coming into its own and they have 0 cap space to build around them . He gave players like LE , Beagle, Sutter and Roussel too much term. Now the masses want his head yet part of the fan base have been warning for a couple of years that this was coming. This mess is not a surprise.

How many of you praised Jim for all of the stupid contracts that he handed out. You bragged about how smart Jim was in surrounding the kids with all the veterans. Now you want his head.       LOL

Edited by appleboy

I've been hypothesizing feelings of resentment and discontent with management and/or ownership for awhile now, and frankly, I totally understand it if that is the case.

from the players' perspectives, it would be one thing if the money wasn't there to bring these guys back, but when they see nate schmidt and braden holtby brought in at effectively the same combined cap hit as markstrom and tanev, that has got to be a bitter pill to swallow. from a fan's perspective, it's easy to look at the larger considerations of age, term, trade protection, and expansion draft but for the players, all they see is an organization not willing to commit to two incredibly loyal soldiers and two guys they considered family. and this after benning spent months espousing his determination to bring back both guys and crowing about their importance to the team. 

looking at that, and seeing how new deals for green, pettersson and hughes have gone nowhere thus far, how can these guys reasonably be expected to feel like the organization has faith and is invested in them?

if you want my one prediction going forward: expect negotiations with 40 and 43 to be incredibly challenging for new deals. there will be no loyalty discounts. 

Edited by tas
  • Vintage 3

50 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Jimbo has left the Canucks with no wiggle room cap wise.  As soon as he made the deal for Schmidt it left no money for Tanev. If they want to try to bring in Tryamkin and Pod then they need to have some cap room but he has none. He has a young team that is just coming into its own and they have 0 cap space to build around them . He gave players like LE , Beagle, Sutter and Roussel too much term. Now the masses want his head yet part of the fan base have been warning for a couple of years that this was coming. This mess is not a surprise.

How many of you praised Jim for all of the stupid contracts that he handed out. You bragged about how smart Jim was in surrounding the kids with all the veterans. Now you want his head.       LOL

Podklozin will be on a elc shouldn’t be an issue bringing him in after his season is done.  Tryamkin may not be eligible this season per the cba.  Not signing the vets was as much as anything learning from past ufa sins and not repeating them.  As the next few seasons unfold managements flexibility will increase.  We also will be in better shape to fill bottom half of the roster with less expensive homegrown players.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1