The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Capitol Riot Puts Spotlight on ‘Apocalyptically Minded’ Global Far Righ

CBH1926

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

A lot depends on region.  Issues the US has is vastly different than say those in Nepal.  

(incoming ranting)

I mentioned many times on other threads, the US has structural problems.  Not in terms of racisms, inequalities or whatever..... just health wise.  When you think of Americans, violent and dumb are some of the first few attributes that comes to mind, but why is that?  It is a genetic thing?  Unlikely considering it's multicultural and not unless you also believe in eugenics (a discussion for another thread).  So it's all environmental.... cultural, diet, and other social/biological factors.  Culture plays a huge role.... Black culture is different from White culture, Asian and Jewish's points of view regarding money and education are different from other cultures.  Some cultural values and interpretations may lead one to be better equipped or less prepared for our marketplace economy.  

There is an interview with Charles Barkley and when he's talking to high school kids about their future goals.... he said white kids says they want to be firefights, doctors, etc.  Black kids says they want to grow up to be rapper, basketball players, etc.  It's good to have dreams, but near impossible dreams will hinder your eventual reality.  

Inability to grow financially creates problem socially.... eventually turning in a endless cycle where poverty creates more poverty, etc.  Alternatively, wealthy families goes off to have more wealthy families.  

Then there is the issue with lead and other contaminants in water.  33% of the state of New York has elevated levels of lead.... and what does lead exposure causes.... lower IQ, lower inhibition for violent outbursts, poor health, inability to concentrate, etc.... pretty much violent and stupid.  

How this relate to politics.... politics is just theater.  It's a show by those wishing for power and wealth to remain in the position of power to garner more wealth.  Replacing lead pipes with non-lead pipes isn't a partisan issue.... who would vote against that?  But make it into a left-right fight and people will reject it.  Make the average person incapable of seeing the bigger picture... have some form of "2 minute of hate"... then you have a docile populace that is easy to control.

Good post.

The point about the lead reasonates with me,saw a doco on it.

And getting one part of the population to hate/persecute another part of it too control the other is an old political trick.

In the end however there is only so much wealth to be spread around.

When  26 of the wealthiest people on the planet control as much wealth as the poorest half of the world's population,3.8billion,that's gonna cause some angst and rightly so IMO.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

43 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Good post.

And getting one part of the population to hate/persecute another part of it too control the other is an old political trick.

When  26 of the wealthiest people on the planet control as much wealth as the poorest half of the world's population,3.8billion,that's gonna cause some angst and rightly so IMO.

While it's from a movie, this phrase should give people some second sober thought regarding what is taught and pushed to us and society as a whole.

"Contempt for money is another trick of the rich to keep the poor without it."

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

While it's from a movie, this phrase should give people some second sober thought regarding what is taught and pushed to us and society as a whole.

"Contempt for money is another trick of the rich to keep the poor without it."

Great Movie 

Pacino is awesome.

I do not have contempt for money 

I have contempt for idea that greed is good.

Another line from an actor in a good movie.

Upvote for the Pacino reference.

59 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Good post.

It’s a little late for me to even attempt to check the math but I read something today that said if you earned $2000 per hour since the time of the birth of Christ and paid no taxes, you would only have around $8 Billion, and there would still be 30 people richer than you.

Just let that sink in. 2 grand an hour for over TWO THOUSAND YEARS and your still not the richest person.

The concentration of wealth is probably the single biggest reason for unrest around the world in my view.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

It’s a little late for me to even attempt to check the math but I read something today that said if you earned $2000 per hour since the time of the birth of Christ and paid no taxes, you would only have around $8 Billion, and there would still be 30 people richer than you.

Just let that sink in. 2 grand an hour for over TWO THOUSAND YEARS and your still not the richest person.

The concentration of wealth is probably the single biggest reason for unrest around the world in my view.

I came up with just shy of 35 billion on 364 days a year so counting leap years let's say 35 billion.

Brings you in at about 23rd on the list of richest people in the world.

It is a shocking statistic.

And I totally agree with your last statement.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I came up with just shy of 35 billion on 364 days a year so counting leap years let's say 35 billion.

Brings you in at about 23rd on the list of richest people in the world.

It is a shocking statistic.

And I totally agree with your last statement.

Thanks for doing the math.

This is why the left/right rich/poor etc. are always pitted against each other. We keep fighting rather than looking deeper at the real problem. The super wealthy play both sides against each other.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Lancaster said:

To be fair, lots of crazies on both sides.  

In some countries, left-of-centre are out committing insurgencies, etc.  

In some countries, right-of-centre are out committing insurgencies, etc. 

Is the rioting at the Capitol Hill more egregious because of it's location?  Were those violent rioting by BLM/Antifa more accepting because "they mean well"?

Idiots and morons will always find justification to try to rationalize their violence.  

Those arguing left vs right is akin to claim that the smell of their own feces is more tolerable that the other person's..... kinda missing the bigger issue.  

Both have lots of idiots.  People who said the rioting and destruction of buisnesses, looting, destorying statues, etc. that the BLM protests producted were justified are morons.  People who said the rioting of the capitol were justified are morons. 

We can have differenting views but both sides just want to provoke and one up each other, its bloody embarrassing for first world countries to act like this.

I can't stand it, when someone tells me to pick a side I pick the middle, I will stand up for my beliefs and how I feel things should be done but no way am I ever going to stoop to the low levels these 2 moronic groups on both sides stoop down to, just down right embarrassing. 

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Really good article from NYT about increase in cooperation between right wing groups across the world.

One of the few places where Americans, Germans and Russians are aligned with one another. 
Also goes to show how toxic rhetoric has contributed to attacks in New Zealand, Norway and Charlestown.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/capitol-riot-puts-spotlight-on-apocalyptically-minded-global-far-right/ar-BB1d2Gze?li=BBnb7Kz

This is fear mongering from the left. Yesterday our state run television in Sweden which is very liberal leaning even admitted our far right party is left of the US Democrats. Completely inapt comparison. Most far right parties in Europe want Immigration policies similar to Canada’s, so I would be careful about those stones in glass houses.

10 hours ago, Lancaster said:

A lot depends on region.  Issues the US has is vastly different than say those in Nepal.  

(incoming ranting)

I mentioned many times on other threads, the US has structural problems.  Not in terms of racisms, inequalities or whatever..... just health wise.  When you think of Americans, violent and dumb are some of the first few attributes that comes to mind, but why is that?  It is a genetic thing?  Unlikely considering it's multicultural and not unless you also believe in eugenics (a discussion for another thread).  So it's all environmental.... cultural, diet, and other social/biological factors.  Culture plays a huge role.... Black culture is different from White culture, Asian and Jewish's points of view regarding money and education are different from other cultures.  Some cultural values and interpretations may lead one to be better equipped or less prepared for our marketplace economy.  

There is an interview with Charles Barkley and when he's talking to high school kids about their future goals.... he said white kids says they want to be firefights, doctors, etc.  Black kids says they want to grow up to be rapper, basketball players, etc.  It's good to have dreams, but near impossible dreams will hinder your eventual reality.  

Inability to grow financially creates problem socially.... eventually turning in a endless cycle where poverty creates more poverty, etc.  Alternatively, wealthy families goes off to have more wealthy families.  

Then there is the issue with lead and other contaminants in water.  33% of the state of New York has elevated levels of lead.... and what does lead exposure causes.... lower IQ, lower inhibition for violent outbursts, poor health, inability to concentrate, etc.... pretty much violent and stupid.  

How this relate to politics.... politics is just theater.  It's a show by those wishing for power and wealth to remain in the position of power to garner more wealth.  Replacing lead pipes with non-lead pipes isn't a partisan issue.... who would vote against that?  But make it into a left-right fight and people will reject it.  Make the average person incapable of seeing the bigger picture... have some form of "2 minute of hate"... then you have a docile populace that is easy to control.

Lead in water is obviously bad but I don’t know if that is a significant factor that contributes to issues that you mentioned.

Canada is I think one of the few developed countries that doesn’t have national water standard.

Also recent studies in Montreal and Quebec found lead levels way higher than Flint Michigan.

Plus there are still hundreds of thousands of households in Canada that get their water through lead pipes.

Its just that amount of stories that you can research about Flint water is significantly more than the Canada one.

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

Lead in water is obviously bad but I don’t know if that is a significant factor that contributes to issues that you mentioned.

Canada is I think one of the few developed countries that doesn’t have national water standard.

Also recent studies in Montreal and Quebec found lead levels way higher than Flint Michigan.

Plus there are still hundreds of thousands of households in Canada that get their water through lead pipes.

Its just that amount of stories that you can research about Flint water is significantly more than the Canada one.

It is about the scope as well.  Assuming that just 0.01% of the people exposed get really messed up.... that's still about 33000 people.  

Lead pipes was also a big enough issue that John Oliver did a segment on it a few years ago:

Lead pipes isn't the be all end all, but it's just 1 one a multiple of issues facing the average American.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

This is fear mongering from the left. Yesterday our state run television in Sweden which is very liberal leaning even admitted our far right party is left of the US Democrats. Completely inapt comparison. Most far right parties in Europe want Immigration policies similar to Canada’s, so I would be careful about those stones in glass houses.

Swedish Democrats I assume.

But as far as immigration policy goes, Sweden is decades late.

Germany opened its door in 1960s to foreigners mainly to acquire cheap labor but did very little to assimilate these people.

Same goes for France and their Maghreb population.

In the U.S biggest threat comes from right wingers as it was proven by McVeigh, Rudolph, Roof, Crusius, Bowers etc.

I don’t see these weirdos from antifa carrying out large scale terrorist attacks.

10 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Germany opened its door in 1960s to foreigners mainly to acquire cheap labor but did very little to assimilate these people.

In the U.S biggest threat comes from right wingers as it was proven by McVeigh, Rudolph, Roof, Crusius, Bowers etc.

I don’t see these weirdos from antifa carrying out large scale terrorist attacks.

I remember in the 90's a band named Skrewdriver had a top ten song in Germany. The song title translated to something like 'Turks out now'.

Edit: I maybe not remembering correctly, I do remember them having comments about the Turks taking jobs etc... and that Skrewdriver was a popular Neo-Nazi band but not sure of that song title after a quick google...

Edited by bishopshodan

9 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Decades late to what exactly? The crisis caused in 2015 due to in part to the Obama Administration is still being paid for here and the rest of Europe, wasn’t limited to Sweden. The crisis’ before that by Bush. Seems like my taxes are being used to pay for problems created by other people and governments.

And yet you’re throwing out names of American wackos. I don’t disagree with America’s problems, but I wholeheartedly do when comparing them to Europe.

Edited by canuckster19

8 hours ago, 4petesake said:

I get 35 billion, but there's still a few with more money than that.....off the top of my head, Musk, Bezos, Gates, Mah, Putin....

10 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

Decades late to what exactly? The crisis caused in 2015 due to in part to the Obama Administration is still being paid for here and the rest of Europe, wasn’t limited to Sweden. The crisis’ before that by Bush. Seems like my taxes are being used to pay for problems created by other people and governments.

And yet you’re throwing out names of American wackos. I don’t disagree with America’s problems, but I wholeheartedly do when comparing them to Europe.

Decades late to solve immigration issues, from 1970s when Social Democrats made changes to mass influx in 1990s.

You do realize that first huge immigration wave was from Iran, Kosovo, Somalia, Bosnia, Turkey etc.?

Sweden took in all these people in but without clear vision of how to integrate them.

Look at Somali employment rates in Sweden, 52% less than Swedes, in the U.S that number is 13%

As far as wackos go, you said that left was fear mongering about right wingers, I just posted examples of right wing terrorism.

That article was published in NYT, you do know that N.Y is in the U.S right?

4 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Decades late to solve immigration issues, from 1970s when Social Democrats made changes to mass influx in 1990s.

You do realize that first huge immigration wave was from Iran, Kosovo, Somalia, Bosnia, Turkey etc.?

Sweden took in all these people in but without clear vision of how to integrate them.

Look at Somali employment rates in Sweden, 52% less than Swedes, in the U.S that number is 13%

As far as wackos go, you said that left was fear mongering about right wingers, I just posted examples of right wing terrorism.

That article was published in NYT, you do know that N.Y is in the U.S right?

I guess I should have been clear, I meant it's fear mongering to say that Europe is facing the same issues that the US is.

I am aware of the first wave and when it started, although I'd say they did better than how things are going right now.

I don't disagree that integration is the root problem of the rise of the far right. Yeah I doubt in the US they get the same amount of freebees as they do here, I would imagine Somalis going to the US are actually wanting to make something of themselves. Many who come here are just looking for a handout, a far more disproportionate portion, but I wouldn't limit that to Somalis.

I also think Swedes have an inherent nature to want to take care of things and I think it becomes an issue when they treat people like children rather than adults, the rhetoric that comes from the left sometimes almost sounds just as racist as a nazi and they lack the self reflection to notice because they had "good intentions"

Edited by canuckster19