The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Capitol Riot Puts Spotlight on ‘Apocalyptically Minded’ Global Far Righ

CBH1926

Just now, Dekey Pete said:

As soon as we rid ourselves of political parties and start voting for politicians not based on their banner/affiliation, but based on their credentials and how they will support their constituents, a lot of this stuff goes away.  It's too easy for politicians to just follow whatever the party line is and avoid any and all responsibility, when the majority of the population just votes for a colour each election season.  It also makes it incredibly easy for the very wealthy to get exactly what they need from whichever party happens to be in power.

Fix this, remove ALL money from politics (USA - we're looking at you here) and you will start to see improvement very quickly.  Start voting in independents that have no party affiliation.  You'll start to see legislation that supports the vast majority of the population, instead of a very, very small portion of mega corps and billionaires.  

Trump could have been this person to start making some of these changes, it's basically what he ran on, but he's just a lying sack of crap like the rest of them (worse in a lot of ways), only in it for himself and his friends.

We have 8 parties in government in Sweden, it's hardly very different here, the rich still have too much influence IMO.

Just now, canuckster19 said:

We have 8 parties in government in Sweden, it's hardly very different here, the rich still have too much influence IMO.

But that's the problem.  You still have "parties".  That creates these voters who just vote for a brand, instead of the actual person who's running.  Which in turn means that the elected official has ZERO accountability to their constituents, when more than half of them couldn't even identify them in a room.

Just my opinion anyways, I'm sure many will disagree.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Dekey Pete said:

But that's the problem.  You still have "parties".  That creates these voters who just vote for a brand, instead of the actual person who's running.  Which in turn means that the elected official has ZERO accountability to their constituents, when more than half of them couldn't even identify them in a room.

Just my opinion anyways, I'm sure many will disagree.

I wouldn't say so, the "brands" are actually very specific on what they represent and it's rare they deviate from it. The one thing they did do which pissed a lot of people off was the anti online piracy law. But of course they knew the majority of people wouldn't care very much after two days. Now no one does except for a few loud mouths, even I who was against the law am kind of for it now, simply because the industry changed and started doing things online.

Edit: One thing you have to remember here though is we don't have parliamentary representation, the vote is weight based nationwide. We can vote for a specific representative, but it's rare anyone does.

Edited by canuckster19

It's astonishing how these traitors are just shrugging off a failed coup attempt and expect the Democrats to do the same in the name of "unity".  I thought the right was the side that preached accountability and personal responsibility? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Lancaster said:

It is about the scope as well.  Assuming that just 0.01% of the people exposed get really messed up.... that's still about 33000 people.  

Lead pipes was also a big enough issue that John Oliver did a segment on it a few years ago:

Lead pipes isn't the be all end all, but it's just 1 one a multiple of issues facing the average American.  

Sometimes people just want to be stupid and do stupid things.

Look at how some Indo Canadians in GVA like to emulate U.S gangs despite their very cushy upbringings.

On the other hand Asians in the U.S have the lowest crime rates, tbh I have never even heard of Indian Americans being involved in any type of crime.

In Evander Kane thread, some have brought up his upbringing as possible reason for the financial woes.
My wife grew up in East Van. like he did, when people refer to it as ghetto, it’s obvious that they have never been in a real $&!#ty area in their life. But he also seems to have been influenced by something that he never experienced. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Down by the River said:

They'd have a lot more money if they stopped pouring their paycheques into army gear cosplay. 

And for anti science 'museums' and lavish lifestyles of evangelical preachers.

That's some fancy, expensive manure.

Today is Australia Day.

There has been a push by many people to change the date because this date also coincides with massacres of the original indigenous inhabitants.

Larger protests each year.

Because of Covid the protests were limited to 500 people here in Melbourne.

There was a counter protest from the "proud boys" didn't know they had a "chapter"here in Aus.

One of their BS statements was about an "international beaurocratic pseudostate".

Thank #@#@ there was only a handful of these loonies.

58 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Today is Australia Day.

There has been a push by many people to change the date because this date also coincides with massacres of the original indigenous inhabitants.

Larger protests each year.

Because of Covid the protests were limited to 500 people here in Melbourne.

There was a counter protest from the "proud boys" didn't know they had a "chapter"here in Aus.

One of their BS statements was about an "international beaurocratic pseudostate".

Thank #@#@ there was only a handful of these loonies.

3272B4A8-0BEB-4E29-8C54-18613FDEAA7C.jpeg

• Thanks 1