The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In defense of EP & QH

Rate this topic

EP & QH are good enough to be your main core, but not good enough to drag a team to victory. 

These two guys are just entering their prime and will get more consistent, they're straight up playing bad right now but the talent didn't just go away.  The whole team is off (except Horvat, Boeser & Hog).  They are, or at least have the potential to be the type of players that can win a series.  But right now way too much is being asked from them.  These guys aren't good enough to carry a team to victory, and that's what they have to do right now.  The supporting cast just isn't good enough.

• Hydration 1

I don't know. EP has produced like a #1 center already and Hughes has shown flashes of playing like a #1.

IMO right at this moment, they both have the talent, skill, ability, whatever to play like elite players and carry the team.

However, like you say, it's a lot to ask of kids. Pretty much all young players go through ruts, it's going to happen. We've seen enough from these guys to be able to believe they're going to pull out of it.

Things are just exacerbated by the whole team playing like butt.

I'd be less concerned about these two and more concerned about how this team may not be so good even after they return to form, not the way the defense as a whole is shaping up (bad) and goaltending is looking (average).

Edited by kanucks25
  • Upvote 1
52 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

EP & QH are good enough to be your main core, but not good enough to drag a team to victory. 

Thread title + Topic sentence = Does not compute

How does saying they're not good enough to carry a team to victory constitute a defense?

And, I happen to disagree, they ARE good enough to carry a team to victory, and have (and will have) plenty of help from a more than sufficient "supporting cast" now and in the near future.

Take this season in with a bit lower expectations and prepare for a bright future bro

• Haha 1
Just now, King Heffy said:

The group as a whole is underachieving, but there is still more than enough time to turn things around this season.

I'm being 100% serious here.

IF we are to let go of coach TG at some point, I would wholeheartedly nominate King Heffy to be the new coach of the Canucks. And this post is one of many examples why.

Plus it'd be hilarious to see him put Loui in the lineup just to bench him and yell at him the whole game lol

• Haha 1

I think they're still far from their primes but to be honest, I look at Horvat as this team's true leader and right now he's playing like our number 1 center. In the playoffs he showed us why our team can lean on him, rather than Petey. Yes it would be nice for Pettersson to develop into a checking two-way center who can score at a point per game and defend (a bit like Bergeron) but he's got a long way to go, whereas I think Horvat is just about there.

Let Pettersson work on putting up points and the PP, and Horvat shutdown teams and score, similarly to Henrik and Kesler in 2011. I don't think this team is going to have one superstar to carry them through, it'll be by committee and by a strong core of Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Demko and whoever else decides to tag along.

Pettersson is 22 and Hughes is 21, they both are going to get a lot better.  It's pretty clear the team will be built around them.

They are slumping a bit right now.  It happens.  Even with high level players.

Don't go setting your hair on fire or jumping off any bridges.  

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Just hope Pettersson doesn't go full Dubois. He doesn't look happy 

Pettersson seems like the kind of kid who will take a slump like this and use that frustration to make himself a better player.  He is devoted to the game and constantly improving.  Just wait

• Like 2
  • Hydration 1

Have absolutely zero concerns about EP and QH, they are nowhere near their prime. It's the supporting cast we have an issue with. I didnt think Tanev was such a big factor in Hughe's game.

I remember a very spirited conversation with a poster during the 'tanking' years on this board about how its important to overpay supporting vets first before acquiring those first round talents so they could have a good environment to developin....well that aged like milk spectacularly 

Edited by DSVII

They're absolutely not "just entering their prime."  Get real.  And they don't need to be 'defended' (or used as a springboard to sandbag the rest of their team-mates).  Typical lottery-champion mindset.

That's really premature and evidences that the OP doesn't really know what a 'prime' looks like.

But at least it's not another one of the OP's numerous Leafs rebuild fluffing vs the Canucks suck threads.... (anyone in their right mind would realize it's beyond time/results to abandon that storyline).   It's pared down - to 'don't blame two kids for not carrying the team!'....(which again, sounds a lot like a lottery championship 'build' expectations).

Even at their best they are being given conditions highly conducive to their success - on very tilted ice (extremely high ozone starts) - and they struggle in the 'possession' game - at their best.  In other words, their extremely high finishing ability, ability to generate very dangerous chances (and in Hughes case open the ice up), is what primarily defines their excelling in the short term.  When they are not finishing/oroducing/ are struggling with their principal bread and butter, the fact that they aren't near their prime and can't really hold their own in the rest of the 200ft game, becomes amplified.

There's a reason the team is built the way it is - with some useless veteran plug 'foundation' - and that period has not yet passed.

Where I agree with the OP is that there is nothing to really worry about with them - they are still very young - these short term speed bumps are borderline inevitable growing pains that indicate nothing deficient in their abilities.   They will be fine in due course - and when they truly enter their prime (closer to age 25) - they will be even more absolutely nightmarish players to try to deal with (assuming they remain themselves/and healthy).

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

In other news, a 6 month old baby boy was denied a driver's license. 

The parent's were bewildered, saying "He's in his PRIME! Give em' a driver's paper thingy and let er' rip!"

The parent's have 1 other child, a 7 year old girl who's over the hill and should be put out to pasture. "Way past her prime" the mother was heard to remark.

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

This is like EP's first slump, he's been consistent and produced at an elite #1C rate since he came into the league. And honestly, he hasn't been that bad this season aside from his timing being off, just that the points aren't coming.

The only reason why the media is over-exaggerating his slump, is because people expected playoff EP that we saw last summer to show up. That playoff EP was surely on the verge of a 100 pt season. 

I think EP will end up with a near PPG and we will sign him to a reasonable 3 year bridge deal. His breakout year is surely coming where he will drive the team to wins.

QH is going to need time to get adjusted to playing with someone other than Tanev. Tanev did a lot of things for QH and made life easy for him; QH is learning it the hard way.

I was concerned about replacing Tanev's minutes. Considering the contract that he signed, 4.5 mil x 4, we should have matched that. That 4.5 mil is so easy to justify and 4 years is a reasonable length for a player who sacrificed his body for us for nearly 10 years. If JB found a way to get Schmidt and Tanev, I think our position in the standings and the outlook for this season will look a lot better. 

Edler-Schmidt

Hughes-Tanev

Juolevi-Myers

Benn-Chatfield

Or if we landed OEL, it could have eased the blow... Edler-OEL would have been a great 1st pairing.

Edler-OEL

Hughes-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers

Benn-Chatfield

4 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

How on Earth can you consider either of these two kids in their prime? Last year was Quinn's rookie season fer cryin' out loud.

Well said.

I think it's the McDavid effect (or Crosby effect or generational player effect). Since McDavid/Crosby reached his peak production by the age of 20-21, everyone should  reach their peak production by age 21. It's ridiculous.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

These two guys are just entering their prime and will get more consistent, they're straight up playing bad right now but the talent didn't just go away.  The whole team is off (except Horvat, Boeser & Hog).  They are, or at least have the potential to be the type of players that can win a series.  But right now way too much is being asked from them.  These guys aren't good enough to carry a team to victory, and that's what they have to do right now.  The supporting cast just isn't good enough.

Do you think that they would concede your argument when it comes to contract negotiation? "Sure we will take less money because we are not franchise players."

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Just hope Pettersson doesn't go full Dubois. He doesn't look happy 

I don't know much about what went down with the Dubois situation but Pettersson is getting all the opportunity.

If he has whiny fits and wants to leave a team because of his own lack of productivity then a player like that is free to leave in my opinion. Good riddance.

However, I don't believe Pettersson's character is like that.