The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Ottawa Senators | January 27, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SN, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, garthsbutcher said:

Bailey in , Rooster out please. 

meh, he didnt have a terrible game other than the dumb penalty, not really sure what people see in bailey never stuck out to me when he played other than his speed, pretty much another virtanen, who you like bash non-stop and now only if bailey used his big frame to play physical just as people say about JV...

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Virtanen has the lowest on ice goals against per 60 on the team.

3.5 on ice goals for per 60.

+2.8

Tied with Sutter for team lead in takeaways (6)

Highest on ice save% on the team (98.0).

His corsi is higher than Pettersson's.

EP 78.2% ozone starts

Virtanen 47.9%

He also only has 1 pt in 9 games.  I think that's what frustrates most fans.  While Motte already has 5 pts.

• Cheers 1

Interesting that Roussel has become the #4 penalty killing forward.

No penalty killing last year.

Less than a minute his first year here, and the year before in Dallas...killed slightly more earlier in his career in Dallas, but never this much.

Wondering if he is edging Pearson out (who was pretty bad on the pk early this season...)?

Hard to argue with his work ethic (when it's there) - but something about AR's awareness makes me anxious.

Still - when he's getting in on the forecheck, getting his hits in, etc the bottom six looks better (otherwise he's hard to watch).

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

He also only has 1 pt in 9 games.  I think that's what frustrates most fans.  While Motte already has 5 pts.

Not sure anyone measures up particularly well if Motte is the standard.

Virtanen hasn't had the best 'puck luck' thus far - and has only taken a dozen shots - perhaps he should rip the puck a bit more frequently - but for me, his production is the last of my concerns - I'd prefer he keep his focus on the game as a whole and take care of the rest of it first - which I think he does reasonably well, in which case even if he's not producing, he's complementing his line.   The 'bottom six' on this team has a fairly clear principal role - particularly when Sutter centers the other line - which is to give up as little as possible (with Gaudette it needs to produce secondary scoring, because it's going to give up it's share).   If the bottom six limits opposing production and do so while the top 6 gets/ is rolling - the team is hard to beat (and Virtanen's bottom six production is not really vital/an indicator of much). I'm not sure I 'expect' a lot of secondary scoring (what guys like Motte and Sutter are doing is high-end in a shutdown role) - but I think Virtanen will manage to get his nevertheless - if he continues to play the game without trying to force production.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Not sure anyone measures up particularly well if Motte is the standard.

Virtanen hasn't had the best 'puck luck' thus far - and has only taken a dozen shots - perhaps he should rip the puck a bit more frequently - but for me, his production is the last of my concerns - I'd prefer he keep his focus on the game as a whole and take care of the rest of it first - which I think he does reasonably well, in which case even if he's not producing, he's complementing his line.   The 'bottom six' on this team has a fairly clear principal role - particularly when Sutter centers the other line - which is to give up as little as possible (with Gaudette it needs to produce secondary scoring, because it's going to give up it's share).   If the bottom six limits opposing production and do so while the top 6 gets/ is rolling - the team is hard to beat (and Virtanen's bottom six production is not really vital/an indicator of much). I'm not sure I 'expect' a lot of secondary scoring (what guys like Motte and Sutter are doing is high-end in a shutdown role) - but I think Virtanen will manage to get his nevertheless - if he continues to play the game without trying to force production.

I dunno.

Jake's getting $2.55M.  I mean we are already complaining about over paying Beagle and Roussel at $3M for bottom 6 role.  And Jake isn't a permanent fixture on the PK.

That 2nd line RW was his for the taking but let it slip away to a rookie.

I hope JV gets it going.  

• Cheers 1