The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Blues shopping Vince Dunn

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Goo luck with that St Loo. 

Analytics value Dunn very highly.  With limited scouting and the increasing role of analytics in trying to isolate player impact, a team might want to take a chance.  This coming draft is also going to be difficult to scout so teams might not value picks the same way as in normal times.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
6 minutes ago, mll said:

Analytics value Dunn very highly.  With limited scouting and the increasing role of analytics in trying to isolate player impact, a team might want to take a chance.  This coming draft is also going to be difficult to scout so teams might not value picks the same way as in normal times.

has there already been talks about whos suppose to go 1st OA?

Edited by TNucks1
4 minutes ago, mll said:

He is good with the puck but not great in his own end. Kind of a tweener offensive dman if you ask me. He has value, I just don't see a first. 

45 minutes ago, rekker said:

He is good with the puck but not great in his own end. Kind of a tweener offensive dman if you ask me. He has value, I just don't see a first. 

Basically Pouliot with more offense.  Canucks have guys on the taxi squad who are better than this pylon; he'd fit right in with Toronto and their no defense D group though.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Owen Power a 6'6" freshman defenseman at Michigan

if we do total crap this season lets hope we can snag him or luke hughes would be pretty cool too.

• Upvote 1

Dunn is a left shooting defenceman who will be an RFA with arbitration rights after this season. He makes $1.875 million and would be likely to at least double that with a favourable arbitration award. Keep in mind that Benning will have to sign Quinn AND Petey as well as Demko, Juolevi, Chatfield, Hawryluk and Gaudette. UFAs include Edler, Pearson, Sutter, Benn and Hamonic. Unless Benning can move some of these guys before they are up for negotiations, I don't see him adding another contract headache.

One of their worst defencemen, scored 13 goals not that long ago but he's always getting walked inside-out. To be honest Chatfield/Rathbone/Rafferty will be better than Dunn but I'm sure Pittsburgh wouldn't mind him

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Apparently asking for a first... would love to get him here somehow, maybe a gaudette or jv swap

You want to trade our whipping boy JV for a Dman that does not play D? That will end well.

• Hydration 1

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a fit for Dunn either in the short or long term.  He's an intriguing young two-way D but recalling the Blues-Canucks series, his play isn't outstanding to the point where I would think a 1st rounder would be warranted.  Even if we're talking a player swap, I just don't see that much of a fit without his addition leading to a few things that don't seem to fit well with the team as it's currently constructed and managed:

1. A healthy D core will presumably have a 6-man D unit of Hughes, Schmidt, Edler, Myers, Juolevi and Hamonic.  Who would Dunn replace?  Edler?  That doesn't make much sense to me given Edler's significant role.  Even if it's a future move in anticipation of Edler's UFA status, Dunn doesn't seem like the best fit.  Juolevi?  It would be disappointing if management were lacking confidence in Juolevi to the point that they would want to spend significant assets to replace him especially when he has been one of the most solid D this season.

2. What does adding Dunn do to the chances of a guy like Rathbone?  Even if Dunn has had a few NHL seasons, is it really better to spend significant assets to acquire him when you have a potentially equal to superior player in Rathbone?  Yes, Dunn is better known quantity but as others have pointed out, he's also one that will need to be paid way more than any of the home grown D prospects the Canucks have who could provide at least equal defensive play as Dunn.

3. As others have also pointed out, adding Dunn would require the Canucks to protect him in this summer's expansion draft.  The Canucks aren't in a terrible expansion draft situation, but do they really want to spend the assets to acquire Dunn and then potentially lose Dunn (if they expose him) or another D?

4. If the Canucks acquire Dunn in a move involving players, then both teams will have to wait the quarantine period to have those players join them.  Maybe not as big a deal for STL since they're looking for a pick in return, but could be important for the Canucks.

All in all, would be surprised to see a deal completed by the Canucks for Dunn.

Personally, I would be most intrigued in a D acquisition if it involved someone like David Savard in CBJ or Brandon Carlo in BOS (the latter is a pipedream, I'm sure).  I don't think the Canucks have the pieces for either, but both could be good longer term D partners for Hughes.  Ristolainen in BUF would be intriguing too, but not as a partner for Hughes.

While it's unlikely, there's still a chance that the Canucks could bring in Tryamkin which, IMHO, would be vastly superior to spending the assets to acquire Dunn.  It would also preserve the Canucks' rights to Tryamkin which I read somewhere will expire in March if they don't offer him a contract.

• Hydration 2