The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Green and his assistants - not the men for this job

Rate this topic

Dazzle

15 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Assistants - I agree. Green seems to be highly regarded league wide according to guys like Lebrun and Friedman... and then you replaces him? THough I will say that I disagree with the decision to start Chatfield over Juolevi today. Juolevi played a good game and scored. Chatfield is returning from an upper body injury, possibly concussion, and you are putting him back in over Juolevi? Keep OJ in and give Chatfield an extra day or so.

Does anyone know why Juolevi got scratched?  Broadcast didn't really discuss the change, just that it happened. 

1 minute ago, CoquitlamDave said:

Does anyone know why Juolevi got scratched?  Broadcast didn't really discuss the change, just that it happened. 

After thinking about it, I assume Green wanted Chatfield's right hand shot vs OJs left hand shot. Which is a fair position to take. I though OJ played decently though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

After thinking about it, I assume Green wanted Chatfield's right hand shot vs OJs left hand shot. Which is a fair position to take. I though OJ played decently though.

I agree, for what it's worth lol. I also believe they are monitoring his hip and knee for signs of stiffness to ensure he has fully recovered, giving him a light workload.

• Upvote 1

We replaced substantial parts of this team during the off season and started the season without any exhibition games and without a schedule break for practice.

The team needs time to really come together and everyone learn what their roles are on the team. We are starting to show our offensive capabilities again, but we haven't had time to settle the defense down and get systems working correctly.

My suggestion is, let's see how we're doing closer to mid Feb. This schedule is going to play hell with all teams, they will all go through ups and downs and extended periods where they don't have time to work on systems. Some teams had more practice time at the start of the season than others. The Canucks have been on the extreme side of that with nothing more than 1 game off, in between games in the first 2 weeks and have gone through 3 games in 4 nights, 3 times in that stretch. The first time that we get 2 straight days off, is Feb 9th and 10th. I don't know what coach anyone thinks they could bring in here, who would be able to work on adjusting systems under these circumstances. Trying to balance the team getting some downtime to rest vs needing practice time to fix core defensive systems.

Let's give them a chance to play through this and come together.

Green has always been pretty good at managing relationship with players and developing them.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

My issue here is the way assistant coach teaches their group how to play a special teams like PP or a defensive structure.  These are the culprit for they inability to sustain the attack and would use a perimeter defense for a low shots chances.  My concern of allowing too many shots wears out goalies and could cause some injury so if you ask me, I would rather having Larry Robinson as an assistant coach to teach our guys how to play defense and breakout passes.  Brown and Baumer has to go, imo.   Green in other hand, is still out there because of his playoff run and I don't mind his style.  I think that Green has nothing to do with defence and PP but would give his input but mostly Brown runs PP and Baumer runs defence.

• Cheers 2

The team speaks very highly of green, I truly believe if they aren't performing for him they wont for someone else, that why you have to look about him and see why Benning hasn't helped him out with a stronger roster. I can stomach losing Marky, Stech, even Toffoli, but letting Tanev walk is really tough when you look at what a difference he made to our back end. Benning has to go and if they team doesn't improve after that, then you look at coaching. 

• Wat 2

23 minutes ago, timmylu1 said:

The team speaks very highly of green, I truly believe if they aren't performing for him they wont for someone else, that why you have to look about him and see why Benning hasn't helped him out with a stronger roster. I can stomach losing Marky, Stech, even Toffoli, but letting Tanev walk is really tough when you look at what a difference he made to our back end. Benning has to go and if they team doesn't improve after that, then you look at coaching. 

Schmidt, Hamonic and Juolevi is a stronger roster.

And without saddling the team with Tanev's long term, that people like you would be complaining about in two years.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Brown and Baumgartner should be canned this season. Give Green another shot with some new assistant coaches with more capability. 

I’ve been leaning towards this too. For the most part Green has done pretty well, Brown and Baumgartner on the other hand, one can’t come up with an adequate defensive structure and the other still thinks it’s 2011 the way he runs the powerplay. 

• Cheers 3

21 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

This is an overreaction. There's nothing wrong with Green, we have the wrong mixture on defense, and we're not likely going to fix that before the end of the season.

It sucks that we got trapped by the flat cap. We need Tryamkin added for next season, and the only reason he isn't here this year, was due to Covid and the flat cap.

Everyone needs to calm down a little. We didn't have any exhibition schedule, and we haven't had any real practice time to work on systems since the season started. Take a look at the schedule, we've been playing more than any other team. We need 2 or 3 days of practice time.

OP is not a over reaction at all. This is a reiteration of the team's defensive struggles for past 3-4 years

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jetliner said:

OP is not a over reaction at all. This is a reiteration of the team's defensive struggles for past 3-4 years

You do know that the rebuild isn't complete, right? We're close, and we should be competing, but at no time in the last 3 - 4 years, has anyone positioned this team as a Playoff team. Last year, we were running ahead of schedule.

If you're looking at how we have struggled defensively for the last 3 - 4 years, I think you had a misunderstanding of exactly where the team was at.

Next season, should be our first real year as a legitimate competitor.

27 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

You do know that the rebuild isn't complete, right? We're close, and we should be competing, but at no time in the last 3 - 4 years, has anyone positioned this team as a Playoff team. Last year, we were running ahead of schedule.

If you're looking at how we have struggled defensively for the last 3 - 4 years, I think you had a misunderstanding of exactly where the team was at.

Next season, should be our first real year as a legitimate competitor.

lol not sure if we were watching the same team. If it wasn't for Marky we would have been a bottom 5 team last year

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Jetliner said:

lol not sure if we were watching the same team. If it wasn't for Marky we would have been a bottom 5 team last year

I think you misread what I wrote. I'm saying that they have not been a playoff team, but I don't think we're far away from that now. Everyone is developing well, but we still need work on defense. 

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think you misread what I wrote. I'm saying that they have not been a playoff team, but I don't think we're far away from that now. Everyone is developing well, but we still need work on defense. 

I am not saying fire Green, so I'm not sure how it is considered an overreaction. The imbalance of shots is once again present in this game. We are constantly outshot by opposition teams and little is done to address this issue.

In my opinion, if Green gets fired, it'll be because we finished last or almost last in the standings. That's the only scenario I can really see this happening.

Even if we just barely miss the playoffs, it's such a weird year to begin with that I just can't see him getting fired for that.