The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Ottawa Senators | January 28 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

6 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

Ottawa is probably the only other Canadian team that I don't dislike, I do feel bad for them but anyone who plays them is like free pts. Don't take the foot off the gas Nuckies.

Exactly.  We are still -3 in goal differential, which I think is the second tie breaker for standings,  so we need to continue to rack up the goals against the weaker teams.  I think it is only Edmonton and Calgary we need worry about for goal diff, as I believe with 9 games against the others there will always be a winner in the head to head matchups.

(Hmm - let's say Toronto wins 5 to our 4, but all 4 were overtime losses ...... then Toronto would have 10 points and we would have 12,  but I think it is head to head wins/losses, and not points obtained that is the tie breaker)

Regardless, we need to continue to pile on and rack up the score 

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, mll said:

Juolevi would need to be protected.   Chatfield will be a UFA at the end of this season although CapFriendly still shows him as a RFA.   Rafferty too.

Players who are 25  and been under contract for 3 pro-seasons and have not reached 80 NHL games become so called group 6 UFAs.

So we literally have nothing to worry about as far as expansion goes. Protect Schmidt, OJ, Myers. Sign Eddie to one year deal after and Chatfield. Resign Benn for a year so you can expose him as you have to expose someone with so many games 

2 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Basic math, we can’t  move up unless we beat teams below up....and there are not many below us !!!!

need to be ready out of the gate, the 2 wins we have already mean nothing if we blow this game 

must win game 

All wins mean something!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Convincing John said:

I really want to see Juolevi back in the lineup. Nothing against chatty but IMO that was OJ’s best game as a pro the other night. He needs to build off that. Stop handling him with kid gloves already he has waited long enough. 

OJ will play 45-50 games this year.  Getting the odd night off and more practice time will do him well.

26 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

So we literally have nothing to worry about as far as expansion goes. Protect Schmidt, OJ, Myers. Sign Eddie to one year deal after and Chatfield. Resign Benn for a year so you can expose him as you have to expose someone with so many games 

I'd not re-sign Benn, expose Myers and snag a D from a team set to lose one in the ED in exchange for Virtanen.

Expose and likely lose one of Myers/Holtby.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I'd not re-sign Benn, expose Myers and snag a D from a team set to lose one in the ED in exchange for Virtanen.

Who else are you going to protect in place of Myers if Chatfield and Edler are free agents

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Who else are you going to protect in place of Myers if Chatfield and Edler are free agents

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That guy.

• Upvote 1

I would assume at this stage it is reasonably safe to think that Toronto and Montreal are going to be in the playoffs, and that Ottawa will be out.  That leaves 2 spots for Edm, Cal, Win, and us.  

I think we have had the toughest schedule of any team as of yet, playing 2-4 more games than most everyone in the division.  Without much of a training camp, having so few days to practice id pretty tough. If we can get out of the first 10 at 500, we should  be reasonably happy with that.  

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Loved Mike Keane. Plays 1161 NHL games. Wins Cups in Montreal and Dallas, retires and goes home to Winnipeg to play another 5 years with the Moose, 365 games. Retires at 42 years old. There are times when I think of players who deserve some ROH consideration even tho they never dressed for the Canucks. Keane played and likely mentored; Burrows, Bieksa, Rypien, Edler, Grabner, Hanson, Bourdon, Raymond, Rome, Schneider and Nolan Baumgartner (current Canuck coach). At the least they could have had a night for him with some of his alumni there. Your right about his tough game but not overtly so. He played a mentally tough game and if it took physicality he was ready.   

Keane was one of the most successful undrafted players ever - and considered one of if both the toughest player in his junior circuit.   Strange he wasn't drafted his first year.   Part of the punch up in Russia .... wouldn't want to be the Russian(s) that ended up having to take him on, he went through half their team lol.     His reputation was well known by the time he got his chance with MTL, and didn't disappoint, same with COL same with Dallas.    If you recall for a little while anyways he was a cup good luck charm...a little like Claude Lemuiex...i agree 100% in Motte following a similar career path - minus the fighting.   Was a one man wrecking crew in juniors, and back then players knew they could always try fighting as a path into the league so the quality of competition was very very high.    Considered one of the best middle weights all time, his reputation was fierce before his first game in the NHL...and didn't have many dancing partners as a result.  His fight vs Walker is one of the highest ranked fights for middleweights by hockeyfights.com...with the decision to Keane. 

Edited by IBatch

47 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Unfortunately we need to leave one guy unprotected whose under contract next year and has played something like 27 games this year.  As things stand now we’ll need to expose Schmidt or Myers unless we make a trade or extend someone who meets the parameters.

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Exactly.  We are still -3 in goal differential, which I think is the second tie breaker for standings,  so we need to continue to rack up the goals against the weaker teams.  I think it is only Edmonton and Calgary we need worry about for goal diff, as I believe with 9 games against the others there will always be a winner in the head to head matchups.

(Hmm - let's say Toronto wins 5 to our 4, but all 4 were overtime losses ...... then Toronto would have 10 points and we would have 12,  but I think it is head to head wins/losses, and not points obtained that is the tie breaker)

Regardless, we need to continue to pile on and rack up the score 

It's way down there in the tie breaker standings but it's for sure something we need to consider given the division we are playing in ... number 6 of 7 rules ...

• Thanks 1