The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Ottawa Senators | January 28 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

Unfortunately we need to leave one guy unprotected whose under contract next year and has played something like 27 games this year.  As things stand now we’ll need to expose Schmidt or Myers unless we make a trade or extend someone who meets the parameters.

Well, worst case you lose Myers.  I don't mind him at all, but I think we could get a better player for 6 mill with 4 years left on his deal.  There are some really good UFA d coming up this offseason (obviously some re sign in advance though).

The most likely case is that we make a deal with a team that will lose a D in the expansion draft beforehand to meet requirements.  Either way, we are well positioned to see minimal damage in the ED.

7 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

Unfortunately we need to leave one guy unprotected whose under contract next year and has played something like 27 games this year.  As things stand now we’ll need to expose Schmidt or Myers unless we make a trade or extend someone who meets the parameters.

I'm thinking that it most likely will be Myers exposed. He only has clauses for his contract up to this year I believe, which leads me to believe that this was done purposely. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Early Calder Watch, or Rookie of the Month watch:

I expect Kaprizov to win this, as a 24 YO rookie.  Can't see Hoglander getting a nomination, but 4 in a row would be nuts, especially with Podkolzin coming through next year.

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd not re-sign Benn, expose Myers and snag a D from a team set to lose one in the ED in exchange for Virtanen.

Expose and likely lose one of Myers/Holtby.

I like your thinking.  I've also been wondering if the ED might be a way of unloading Loui's contract (1 season).  Maybe adding Jake or Gaud? If JB can unload LE's contract, they he can pick up a decent 3C in UFA (Scott Laughton) to replace Sutter.

I don't think Myers gets claimed in the ED.  If Holtby is taken, there are plenty of goalies available in the '21 UFA.

Last night was a good start, but taking breaks and breathers at crucial parts of the game will only spell a disaster. Its time for the group to have more complete efforts in all three zones and all three periods.

Start building good habits so that when under pressure, it become second nature.

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm thinking that it most likely will be Myers exposed. He only has clauses for his contract up to this year I believe, which leads me to believe that this was done purposely. 

Perhaps as a safety net - but he's done enough to convince me that losing Myers is going to make a gigantic hole on the R side.    When's the last time a guy like he has gone to market?   Right now he's a lot of things for us - playing top minutes, isn't a minus magnet like QHs 5 x 5 - and makes plays every game that give us a chance in the ozone 5 x 5 - and he's also our toughest hardest D.    Can't say for sure how many years that would set us back.   Chatfield, Rafferty, Woo... whomever isn't a Calder winning monster size D that plays as well as he did at the same age.   Myers, Schmidt and OJ are the correct guys to save.   Team needs to sign Benn for another year of make a trade or this is going to blow up on us.  Which i think is the point.   Edler was the whipping boy - now Myers is - our fan base has an element in it that doesn't pay a lot of attention or is just plain dumb. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Well, worst case you lose Myers.  I don't mind him at all, but I think we could get a better player for 6 mill with 4 years left on his deal.  There are some really good UFA d coming up this offseason (obviously some re sign in advance though).

The most likely case is that we make a deal with a team that will lose a D in the expansion draft beforehand to meet requirements.  Either way, we are well positioned to see minimal damage in the ED.

Please pray tell - who are these guys we can magically acquire without a trade - or even via free agency that want to come here?  Petry is signed - CAR is committed to Hamilton ... who's next up?  If a top four RHD comes available isn't a little presumptuous that we have the inside track on him with 31 other teams also looking?    Yeah! we save the cap.   Let's go out and buy us a new toy.   Ahh shucks Gudbranson is bought already ... what did it cost again for him? 

Edited by IBatch

20 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Valid points (though I think Myers will only have 3 years left)

Don’t forget though that a bunch of teams will have lost their 4th best D and the demand may out pace supply for replacements next summer 

16 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I like your thinking.  I've also been wondering if the ED might be a way of unloading Loui's contract (1 season).  Maybe adding Jake or Gaud? If JB can unload LE's contract, they he can pick up a decent 3C in UFA (Scott Laughton) to replace Sutter.

I don't think Myers gets claimed in the ED.  If Holtby is taken, there are plenty of goalies available in the '21 UFA.

If anything (assuming he doesn't do the honourable thing and retire), we're likely buying Eriksson out. Still going to cost more than its worth to move him. 

Myers gets far too much flack. I think there's a very good chance SEA takes him if he's exposed.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Perhaps as a safety net - but he's done enough to convince me that losing Myers is going to make a gigantic hole on the R side.    When's the last time a guy like he has gone to market?   Right now he's a lot of things for us - playing top minutes, isn't a minus magnet like QHs 5 x 5 - and makes plays every game that give us a chance in the ozone 5 x 5 - and he's also our toughest hardest D.    Can't say for sure how many years that would set us back.   Chatfield, Rafferty, Woo... whomever isn't a Calder winning monster size D that plays as well as he did at the same age.   Myers, Schmidt and OJ are the correct guys to save.   Team needs to sign Benn for another year of make a trade or this is going to blow up on us.  Which i think is the point.   Edler was the whipping boy - now Myers is - our fan base has an element in it that doesn't pay a lot of attention or is just plain dumb. 

Yes, our D has been taking 1 step forward 1 step back since JB has joined the team

Too many ifs/hopes around Edler’s imminent  decline/retirement.

Myers was signed as a mitigation to this but not really a one for one replacement 

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I agree with you. I do remember noting that Tyler's clauses expired in line with the draft, and thought that seemed all too convenient. I do really enjoy what Myers brings and want him to stay. Same with Benn. He's looked great with Hughes. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Early Calder Watch, or Rookie of the Month watch:

Kaprizov also got to feast on weaker teams like the Kings. If we play in that Division, I think Hogs would've had a few more points himself as well.

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If anything (assuming he doesn't do the honourable thing and retire), we're likely buying Eriksson out. Still going to cost more than its worth to move him. 

I'm not sure how much cap would remain if LE was bought out, so it's hard to figure out the best way to unload the contract.

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Myers gets far too much flack. I think there's a very good chance SEA takes him if he's exposed.

I don't mind Myers, but I do think his contract is a bit too long.

2 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

Yes, our D has been taking 1 step forward 1 step back since JB has joined the team

Myers was signed as a mitigation to this but not really a one for one replacement 

Still waiting for Edler to decline. Sure he's not putting up points, but he plays solid defense and seems to have gotten ornery in his old(er) age, which is welcome. Myers is a solid defenseman as well. The biggest issue with the defense isn't on the ice, it's behind the bench. Get rid of Baumgartner, and bring in a better and more experienced defense assistant coach, and the d corps will flourish.. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

I am very surprised at Jim's ability to identify D man at the professional level. He was a NHL D-man back in the days himself and you would think he should be very good at picking up defenseman. So far the D-man he brought in through trades or free agency over the years have not been really intriguing: Sbisa, Gudbranson, Del Zotto, Pouliot, Bartkowski. These are all very under whelming names. Myers is overpaid, but he isn't as bad as some suggests here as I still believe that without Myers, we wouldn't have made the playoffs last season. Schmidt is still adjusting, I just don't think we found the right D partner for Schmidty yet. Hughes is a draft pick, a fantastic draft pick. I also wonder if we kept those 2nd round picks that we traded away for Vey and Baertchi, would we have picked some defenseman with those picks. Either way, I hope he would've picked more defenseman with his 2nd round picks.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1