The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Ottawa Senators | January 28 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

21 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Also I do like Chatfield but what has he done better than Juolevi to have people say he should stay in the line up?

I feel like Juolevi had more poise while Chatfield had more energy

They have different styles of play but there were numerous times yesterday when cHatfield bobbled the puck or failed to get it out which might have cost some goals against better teams. I would like for the Canucks to continue rotating them and get both of them game time along with practice time.

Chatfield looks like he's done it before, like a Tanev approach to the game. I find Olli is still trying to figure out the pace of the NHL

49 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Good sweep by the boys but Ottawa is possibly the worst team in the league.  

This Winnipeg game is the real test.  

Could you imagine being the senators, not a single easy night on your schedule.  They probably don’t have many situations where they are playing a team on the second half of a back to back where they are sitting in waiting.

28 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Also I do like Chatfield but what has he done better than Juolevi to have people say he should stay in the line up?

I feel like Juolevi had more poise while Chatfield had more energy

They have different styles of play but there were numerous times yesterday when cHatfield bobbled the puck or failed to get it out which might have cost some goals against better teams. I would like for the Canucks to continue rotating them and get both of them game time along with practice time.

I think the coaches prefer another RH defenceman in the lineup to avoid someone having to play in their off position.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Could you imagine being the senators, not a single easy night on your schedule.  They probably don’t have many situations where they are playing a team on the second half of a back to back where they are sitting in waiting.

They lose to themselves in practice, they're that bad

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Dont think schedule is their issue.   At this point they have one star is Chabot and a bunch of forwards who at this point should be playing on 2nd lines at best.  

I think the initial eye test for the Tkachuks (Matthew and Brady) is "amazing picks, going to be incredibly competitive". But they're both so undisciplined, make donkeys of themselves and cross the line often. How long a career will they have, taking beatings like that, every other night? I don't think they're talented or skilled enough, and need to rely on antics to be affective. Reminds me of Sean Avery.

Great pass on Matthew IMO. His own team mates probably dislike him. 

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think the initial eye test for the Tkachuks (Matthew and Brady) is "amazing picks, going to be incredibly competitive". But they're both so undisciplined, make donkeys of themselves and cross the line often. How long a career will they have, taking beatings like that, every other night? I don't think they're talented or skilled enough, and need to rely on antics to be affective. Reminds me of Sean Avery.

Guessing you wouldn't have drafted Marchand either?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

guads had an alright game didnt standout alot but still did solid, virt wasnt even noticable most nights, was really rooting for him to come strong this season.
EDIT: game was really good though, Big Mac and tkachuk went at it, not sure if they'll put it in the highlights

Our bottom 6 was fantastic in the 3 game series.  I though the last game was the best of them.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Idk. I'm not going to go to bat for either of them here but theres no guarantee with any pick. I'd rather either them over virtanen, who was also selected in that range. 

8 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Just a couple thoughts 

Pettersson's hesitation to shoot is at the very least keeping the other team guessing.  He's not predictable 

Nate schmidt is everything I had hoped he'd be

Hoglander Motte and Podkolzin on the same team will make the board battles impossible and infuriating for anyone unlucky enough to go up against them.  Having one of them is lucky.  Three is just unfair ;)  Hoglander processes the game at warp speed. 

Goaltending is a strength,  not just "decent ".

Pettersson would shoot more with Boeser on a different line.

Benn is underrated 

Chatfield might end up being a home run . For a player that didn't even get drafted , pretty incredible. 

I agree with everything you said.  Mac and Chatfield are solid adds for us, they bring some grit.  Benn has been outstanding, same with Beagle.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

You think there's room for both Juolevi and Chatfield? 

I don't.  Both have been good, but Chatfield is more ready.  For Juolevi, I think getting a game or two a week and a ton of practice time will work well for him.  Benn's play with Hughes has been enough to keep him in the lineup, and Chatfield brings a physical element that we need as well.  I hope he stays in over Hamonic for a while (once Hamonic is back).

13 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Dont think schedule is their issue.   At this point they have one star is Chabot and a bunch of forwards who at this point should be playing on 2nd lines at best.  

What I was getting at was if they were atleast playing in say the same division as the ducks kings and sharks they might be more competitive.  All the teams in the North had reasonable expectations of making the playoffs under the usual format.

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I don't.  Both have been good, but Chatfield is more ready.  For Juolevi, I think getting a game or two a week and a ton of practice time will work well for him.  Benn's play with Hughes has been enough to keep him in the lineup, and Chatfield brings a physical element that we need as well.  I hope he stays in over Hamonic for a while (once Hamonic is back).

As much as I don’t want to be the jinx all of our top 8-9 defensemen will get lots of games nature of the beast.

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Between Matt and Brady, I think Matt is a bit more of the loose canon from what I have seen.  Brady has a bit of the same antagonizing quality in his game, but in the games I have watched (and I have followed him a bit because I have him on my fantasy team), he is usually much more disciplined than Matt.  They're both annoying to play against, but I find that it's Matt that tends to dish out the dirty plays that really piss off other players.  Brady is tough to play against because he plays a physical game, but I haven't found him to really play as much of a dirty edge.

I think Brady's play and his outburst is totally attributed to his team being absolutely terrible right now.  They were just outscored 16-3 in a 3-game series.  If Brady wasn't frustrated then I think there would have to be more concern about that since he's a young leader on that team.  As bad as the Senators were last year, they weren't this bad and even this year, they shouldn't be this bad.  The only guys who look like they care right now are Tkachuk and Chabot.

With their next set being against the Oilers, things could get even worse just because of McDavid.

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

Hughes,  11 points in 10 games. 

Something to watch as the season goes on.

Regardless what he says, I think he has really struggled up until this series, especially defensively.  If he can struggle his way to being a PPG 21 YO D, we are in pretty good shape.