The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A realistic analysis of Jim Benning's tenure so far

Rate this topic

16 hours ago, Timråfan said:

On top of that, Benning has showed our younger players that he doesn't care about the players when he got rid of Stecher, Tanev, Marky, Fantenberg and Toffoli.

That means Benning show that as a player you don't have to be anything that resemblence loyalty. 

What actually made me most mad about this offseason is how Tanev and Stecher were treated.  After all that Tanev sacrificed for the team. 

Stecher was a inexpensive, serviceable defenseman that always gave it all every shift and bled Canuck blue!  Look at the scrubs we have playing D right now!  Not surprising though.  Look at how Mr Canuck Trevor Linden was treated.

Maybe we can trade more picks to try and save Benning's job.

It's crazy.

Free agent vets get money thrown at them.

Loyal Canuck vets sometimes don't even get an offer.  

• Cheers 2

55 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

What actually made me most mad about this offseason is how Tanev and Stecher were treated.  After all that Tanev sacrificed for the team. 

Stecher was a inexpensive, serviceable defenseman that always gave it all every shift and bled Canuck blue!  Look at the scrubs we have playing D right now!  Not surprising though.  Look at how Mr Canuck Trevor Linden was treated.

Maybe we can trade more picks to try and save Benning's job.

It's crazy.

Free agent vets get money thrown at them.

Loyal Canuck vets sometimes don't even get an offer.  

Makes me sad not seeing Tanev and Stetcher on our team.  The heart they played with is irreplaceable.   Hope our fans now understand the importance of intangibles and how important it is to grow players through your own system.  Aside from Edler, you cant really say any other Nuck on that backend bleeds Canuck blue.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya that’s worked Benning has had Desjardins, Tortorella and Green. It would be his fourth coach. You really think it’s the coach that is the problem?

Green is a carbon copy of Willy.

And what the heck is he doing benching OJ?

Edited by Hairy Kneel

I'm not a big fan of this management group. But a realistic assessment of Benning isn't complete without knowing how much and when Aquilini interferred with his decisions (i.e Loui/Myers). And that won't come till years down the line

2 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I'm not a big fan of this management group. But a realistic assessment of Benning isn't complete without knowing how much and when Aquilini interferred with his decisions (i.e Loui/Myers). And that won't come till years down the line

What does that tell you about our chances of ever winning a cup if you don’t have a gm who can speak for himself. The organization is set up for failure and being soft comes from the top right now. The team is as soft as the group from the top. Is there anyone who will say enough is enough and be tough and show some leadership?

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

What does that tell you about our chances of ever winning a cup if you don’t have a gm who can speak for himself. The organization is set up for failure and being soft comes from the top right now. The team is as soft as the group from the top.

It is depressing hehe. Because what's the point of Fire Benning if the next GM candidate has to fulfill FA's 'Yes Men' criteria.

I don't think we are Ottawa Senator's bad (when people go to him as a standard you know there is an issue), and i acknowledge that we spend to the cap and that is good. But there is a bigger cost in having an ownership group that meddles and it can far outweigh not having money to spend on cap. Ownership ego can cripple a franchise for decades, and a blip in success can encourage them to double down on that ego to drive it further into the ground. (see also Oilers, Texans, Cowboys)

Edited by DSVII

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

What does that tell you about our chances of ever winning a cup if you don’t have a gm who can speak for himself. The organization is set up for failure and being soft comes from the top right now. The team is as soft as the group from the top. Is there anyone who will say enough is enough and be tough?

Thats just it.  I think the excuse for Benning that it was all ownership's fault for meddling is a non starter.  No GM with any integrity would accept that. 

Gillis lasted for 6 seasons.  Benning has now equalled or surpassed Gillis's time here.  It was brought out since that Gillis may have wanted an actual rebuild, but the Aquilini's knew better and wanted to keep milking our aging core for another run. But at least Gillis stood up for himself and his principles.

I'd just HOPE that this mismanagement was all on JB, because if its a case of a fickle meddling owner who calls the shots, even makes the hockey decisions, I'd be worried about ANYTHING JB does.

edited to add:  ...and I'd be worried then of any new GM if the conditions are to defer to the Aquilinis on team direction and hockey trade decisions.

Edited by kilgore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Thats just it.  I think the excuse for Benning that it was all ownership's fault for meddling is a non starter.  No GM with any integrity would accept that. 

Gillis lasted for 6 seasons.  Benning has now equalled or surpassed Gillis's time here.  It was brought out since that Gillis may have wanted an actual rebuild, but the Aquilini's knew better and wanted to keep milking our aging core for another run. But at least Gillis stood up for himself and his principles.

I'd just HOPE that this mismanagement was all on JB, because if its a case of a fickle meddling owner who calls the shots, even makes the hockey decisions, I'd be worried about ANYTHING JB does.

Mike Gillis ( former 1st round pick ) Did every thing that most dislike, he was smart ( a Prof at U Vic ) had integrity and challenged all the old school thinking. He won 2 Presidents trophies, NHL manager of the year, 7th game in the SC, ie the most successful manager in the Vcr history and assembled a good staff (Gilman and Brackett), instrumental in buying our own AHL Franchise and put it in Utica but when he wanted to rebuild the club was fired. How many new candidates will Vcr ever, ever, get of this quality again ?? Talk about a waste. I know many thought he was arrogant and that might have been true but was because he had the smarts to look ahead and wasn't about to chnage his mind

16 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Mike Gillis ( former 1st round pick ) Did every thing that most dislike, he was smart ( a Prof at U Vic ) had integrity and challenged all the old school thinking. He won 2 Presidents trophies, NHL manager of the year, 7th game in the SC, ie the most successful manager in the Vcr history and assembled a good staff (Gilman and Brackett), instrumental in buying our own AHL Franchise and put it in Utica but when he wanted to rebuild the club was fired. How many new candidates will Vcr ever, ever, get of this quality again ?? Talk about a waste. I know many thought he was arrogant and that might have been true but was because he had the smarts to look ahead and wasn't about to chnage his mind

He was terrible at drafting though.

Absolutely terrible.

We would have plummeted in the standings regardless. GMs are hired to eventually be fired. They all have a shelf life.

There is pros and cons to everyone, dave nonis brought in Luongo for example.

29 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

There wasn't a single shred of evidence that he could recognize amateur talent.

Had one of the worst runs of drafting in modern NHL history.

There's nothing to suggest he would be good at rebuilding a team.

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

There wasn't a single shred of evidence that he could recognize amateur talent.

Had one of the worst runs of drafting in modern NHL history.

There's nothing to suggest he would be good at rebuilding a team.

Horvat wasn't that bad, Markstrom was OK and as a FA signing they got value from Tanev. He conceeded that he was late to change his scouting dept, but it was on his agenda   .... until he was fired. Success also impacted where he got to pick 

Edited by Fred65

Benning has for the most part made great picks but he has also given away a lot of draft picks and made  two poor picks in Juolevi and Virtanen. He hasn't been perfect. I just think in some ways he hurt his ability to have more picks and players with the trades he has made and giving them away. Giving them away without keeping the assets he brought in. I don't think you can ever not retain the players you trade for picks. You better be sure you can resign them if you do it. It sort of felt like with Toffoli they sort of shrugged and said oh well we will worry about that later. The vision for the future is lacking in this organization. They live too much in the now.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

4 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Benning has for the most part made great picks but he has also given away a lot of draft picks and made  two poor picks in Juolevi and Virtanen. He hasn't been perfect. I just think in some ways he hurt his ability to have more pics and players with the trades he has made and giving them away. Giving them away without keeping the assets he brought in. I don't think you can ever not retain the players you trade for picks. You better be sure you can resign them if you do it. It sort of felt like with Toffoli they sort of shrugged and said oh well we will worry about that later The vision for the future is lacking in this organization. They live too much in the now.

Neither Virtanen , Juolevi OR McCann were special picks that's 3 or 6 picks wasted ie 50% that's not a winning figure. The good are EP, BB and QH. Podkolzin we have to wait. As a supposed scouting guru this is not good IMO

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Horvat wasn't that bad, Markstrom was OK and as a FA signing they got value from Tanev. He conceeded that he was late to change his scouting dept, but it was on his agenda   .... until he was fired. Success also impacted where he got to pick 

Lousy excuse.Benning drafted Calder finalist Boeser,Tryamkin,Demko,Gaudette,McCann in the late first round and after.

Gillis drafted 100% of nothing in later rounds

LA Kings and the Blackhawks were also successful teams at the same time, and they managed to draft impact players in the late rounds.?

Why couldn't we?