The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A realistic analysis of Jim Benning's tenure so far

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Not sure if anyone wants to report to Aqualini but...

Dean Lombardi

Mike Futa

Ron Hextall

Mike Gillis (haha)

Lawrence Gilman

Joe Nieuwendyk

Chris MacFarland (avs asst gm)

I’ll stick with JB over that list. 

4 hours ago, Provost said:

Sorry, nope.

In no NHL world does a GM get 7 plus years to rebuild a team without at least being a regular playoff team.  It just doesn't happen in actual reality, you can disagree all you want, but in the NHL world GMs get fired for performance reasons long before Benning has even been in the hotseat.

Bergevin is a bad example... his team has made the playoffs 5 of his 8 years and been in 1st place in his division for 3 of those years during the regular season.

The "we need to rebuild" excuse buys you 2-3 years... not 7.

You completely changed your argument. Before it was winning percentage. Now you flipped the script.

Benning could have even lost more previously, provided he made shrewd moves that positioned the team to ascend to contender status in a reasonable timeframe. If we had Montréal’s record right now (not to mention their youth, depth, and organizational depth), nobody would be calling for his head. But he made a series of poor moves that weakened us now, when we should be winning.

We’re in agreement that Benning should be canned. I just think winning percentage isn’t part of the measurement - at least not as much as you made it seem. A team that goes ~.550 every year and bows out in the 1st round (Minnesota?) has a good winning percentage, but that GM will be fired eventually too.

Edited by D-Money

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

How's Detroit doing anyways?   

In the last 20 years? As much cups as Vancouver conference final apperances since the team joined the NHL

And Detroit also tumps Vancouver in drafting. 

Look at some of their stars many of them aren't even 1st rounders. And only now Hoglander could be Benning's first successful draft outside the 1st round.

Also which team drafted Larkin and which team drafted Virtanen?

Edited by iinatcc

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

Look at how small the window is. They have waisted cap space that can't be used to put a winning team on the ice this year and next. They regressed this year. They will spend most of the free cap next year to sign Petey and Hughes.  Players won't wait for ever to win. You have this year and two more with Horvat and Miller and then they are UFA's. thank god they have no clauses in their deals but will this team have the balls to move them if they won't resign early. 

You could see us back into a rebuild in two years.  This should have been the year to load up not two years from now. Huge mistake for this management.

Might as well say EDM and TO also wasted their window - same with PIT when they drafted Crosby - none of them won a cup while their cores were on their ELCs...although PIT managed it a year later ... 

12 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

In the last 20 years? As much cups as Vancouver conference final apperances since the team joined the NHL

And Detroit also tumps Vancouver in drafting. 

Look at some of their stars many of them aren't even 1st rounders. And only now Hoglander could be Benning's first successful draft outside the 1st round.

Also which team drafted Larkin and which team drafted Virtanen?

Look at what stars?  Larkin?  Mantha?  Bertuzzi?  lol.   Not really. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Look at what stars?  Larkin?  Mantha?  Bertuzzi?  lol.   Not really. 

Vancouver also had a similar down year from 2013 to 2019. Difference is at least in their worst years Red Wings fans still have those cups wins. Vancouver none.

If Vancouver won the cup in 2011 then it wouldn't be that bad but here we are 

As for Detroit's stars after 25 or so successful years they are finally rebuilding but at least they are doing it right. Just look at the number of draft picks they got last draft.

Meanwhile how many draft picks did Benning give up in the teams rebuilding years? Lol he gave up a 5th for Prust and a 2nd and a 1st round prospect for Gudbransson. And gave up a 2nd for Sutter even though the Pens needed cap room

Edited by iinatcc

11 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Vancouver also had a similar down year from 2013 to 2019. Difference is at least in their worst years Red Wings fans still have those cups wins. Vancouver none.

If Vancouver won the cup in 2011 then it wouldn't be that bad but here we are 

As for Detroit's stars after 25 or so successful years they are finally rebuilding but at least they are doing it right. Just look at the number of draft picks they got last draft. 

So who's a better team right now?   Their last re-tool started a little earlier then ours, with draft plus 7-8 players Mantha, Bertuzzi and Larkin - so far nothing to be too excited about with their rebuild of course, sure that might change - point is - Holland the highest regarded GM in hockey for over a decade couldn't make it work.   And like i said, SJ, Detroit and Vancouver won more games then anyone over a 14 year span.  SJ re-tool is done too, soon they will also have to pay the piper.    Why should Detroit get more slack then our own team? 

Edit:  And you don't need to remind me of who won cups. 

Edited by IBatch

If Podkolzin turns out as good as everyone says he is, Hoglander is the 200 ft. top six player he looks, and Demko keeps progressing, we're in pretty good shape. But we're hurting for a reliable defenseman or two. Hughes is going to be an all-star for a long time and he's still getting better. And this is only Jolevi's first year. We have a good young core, things will get better, have a beer. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

So who's a better team right now?   Their last re-tool started a little earlier then ours, with draft plus 7-8 players Mantha, Bertuzzi and Larkin - so far nothing to be too excited about with their rebuild of course, sure that might change - point is - Holland the highest regarded GM in hockey for over a decade couldn't make it work.   And like i said, SJ, Detroit and Vancouver won more games then anyone over a 14 year span.  SJ re-tool is done too, soon they will also have to pay the piper.    Why should Detroit get more slack then our own team? 

Well technically Holland did retool in the mid 2000's if I'm not mistaken and that got the team another cup. 

I say after their last playoff apperrance this was more a rebuild than a retool in yes it's going to be rough at first but that's what happens after 2 decades of success. Exhaustion of assets but I guess it was worth it considering the cups they accumulated.

Where's Vancouver's cup ? 

Highlights over 6+ seasons:

DRAFTS - Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Demko, Gaudette, Juolevi, Rathbone, Hughes, Podkolzin, Hoglander

TRADES - 3rd for Dorsett, Shinkaruk for Granlund, Gudbranson for Pearson, Mazanec, 3rd and 1st for Miller, 3rd for Schmidt

Lowlights:

DRAFTS - Virtanen, McCann (attitude), Tryamkin, Gadjovich

TRADES - Kassian and 5th for Prust, McCann, 2nd and 4th for Gudbranson and 5th

the rest is pretty average/below average stuff

Grade C+

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Highlights over 6+ seasons:

DRAFTS - Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Demko, Gaudette, Juolevi, Rathbone, Hughes, Podkolzin, Hoglander

TRADES - 3rd for Dorsett, Shinkaruk for Granlund, Gudbranson for Pearson, Mazanec, 3rd and 1st for Miller, 3rd for Schmidt

Lowlights:

DRAFTS - Virtanen, McCann (attitude), Tryamkin, Gadjovich

TRADES - Kassian and 5th for Prust, McCann, 2nd and 4th for Gudbranson and 5th

the rest is pretty average/below average stuff

Grade C+

Lowlights should also include all the bad contracts and deadweights we accumulated over his tenure. Imo, that is the worst part of it all.

He is excellent at drafting, hit quite a few home run picks. Even his misses aren't complete busts, they are still serviceable NHLers.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Lowlights should also include all the bad contracts and deadweights we accumulated over his tenure. Imo, that is the worst part of it all.

He is excellent at drafting, hit quite a few home run picks. Even his misses aren't complete busts, they are still serviceable NHLers.

oh yeah, I forgot about the UFA signings. Eriksson etc  

Just now, Westcoasting said:

What do you think, after how many losses will change happen?

What I see is a group of players who are making individual mistakes and poor plays and playing well below their capabilities.

My opinion is that this is a mental funk more than anything.  

Removing  the GM or Coach will not get the desired results.  The players need break  out of bad habits, lazy plays and poor decisions.

I like JB and Green personally.   I don't think the current poor play is a  problem generated by them.  

Just now, Screw said:

What I see is a group of players who are making individual mistakes and poor plays and playing well below their capabilities.

My opinion is that this is a mental funk more than anything.  

Removing  the GM or Coach will not get the desired results.  The players need break  out of bad habits, lazy plays and poor decisions.

I like JB and Green personally.   I don't think the current poor play is a  problem generated by them.  

I like them both as well but just starting to have some doubt judging by how the team plays and responds to adversity.And I’m really curious with how much patience the owner has!

41 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Well technically Holland did retool in the mid 2000's if I'm not mistaken and that got the team another cup. 

I say after their last playoff apperrance this was more a rebuild than a retool in yes it's going to be rough at first but that's what happens after 2 decades of success. Exhaustion of assets but I guess it was worth it considering the cups they accumulated.

Where's Vancouver's cup ? 

In NY and Boston where Bettman took them. 

• Cheers 1