The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Calgary Flames: Player only meeting

Rate this topic

Remember kids,

As you're reading that hilarious thread on Calgaryschmuck.com, keep in mind how they bragged after their first round victory against us that they were on the "up and up" while we were going to be in decline.   

"We've arrived folks!  Mark my words guys, we'll be an elite team in 1-2 seasons, maybe 3 tops," ~ Reggie Dunlop (Reggie Dumblop) 2015 (upon the Flames defeating the Canucks in the first round)

6 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I'm not living in an absolute dump of a city cheering for a team full of gutless cowards.  Flames fans would be ashamed of their worthless team if they had any self respect left.

then why are you so miserable?

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Hate to break it to you....all teams have fans that trash talk.  It's all in fun and those taking it too seriously are the problem, not the ones engaging in it.

We are just the same, you're right.  And you'd be hard pressed to find a team that doesn't have "sniping" at other teams' fans.  Happens.  I'd say we take more than a lot of other teams as a matter of fact - we take it and we dish it.  

I'm aware. Crapping on overzealous fans is what _I_ do.

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

@Chanmanx007

Could you maybe return to elaborate on this?  The fact that it said nothing about "disappointing signings"??  

As a matter of fact, it states a few things that make me think you made that up?  Why?

Not sure how you got access?

Also:

So please come back to clarify where we can find this:

I read it on a forum and got a link from there... didn't think the article wouldn't talk about the signings but the guys on the Calgary forum made it seem that way.. apologies 

2 hours ago, Chanmanx007 said:

I read it on a forum and got a link from there... didn't think the article wouldn't talk about the signings but the guys on the Calgary forum made it seem that way.. apologies 

Can you link to where that happened?  So we have a source?

7 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

In 2011, it was really only Alberta and Toronto that were cheering against us.   The rest of Canada were with us for the most part.   

Montreal was because of the historical hatred for Boston. Winnipeg didn't exist. That left Ottawa where many were also actively cheering against us.

So "The rest of Canada" is misleading. Montreal wasn't cheering against us. The actual rest of Canada was.

10 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

While I feel a little bad for Ottawa, I don't feel anything at all for Calgary.     

Flames fans wore Bruins jerseys to bars in Calgary when the Bruins defeated the Canucks in 2011.     Let that sink in for a second.

Still feel sorry for Flames fans?    Think they'd feel sorry for us if the situations was reversed?

I don't feel sorry for the Flames. I hope we kick their ass when we play them again. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Montreal was because of the historical hatred for Boston. Winnipeg didn't exist. That left Ottawa where many were also actively cheering against us.

So "The rest of Canada" is misleading. Montreal wasn't cheering against us. The actual rest of Canada was.

I can only comment based on what I heard from my friends’ observations that live in some of those provinces.   People in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario (outside GTA), Montreal, and Maritimes appeared to be cheering us.  

However, to your point, there are a number of Bruins fans living in New Brunswick due to its close proximity to Boston and so the Majority of New Brunswickans likely cheered on the B’s.   Pretty sure we had Yukon, and I doubt that people in NWT or Nunavut didn’t care whatsoever.

Edited by DarkIndianRises

7 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

56 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I can only comment based on what I heard from my friends’ observations that live in some of those provinces.   People in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario (outside GTA), Montreal, and Maritimes appeared to be cheering us.  

However, to your point, there are a number of Bruins fans living in New Brunswick due to its close proximity to Boston and so the Majority of New Brunswickans likely cheered on the B’s.   Pretty sure we had Yukon, and I doubt that people in NWT or Nunavut didn’t care whatsoever.

I never got why this was controversial at the time -- I would never be caught dead cheering for any other canadian team, regardless of circumstance. 

9 minutes ago, tas said:

I never got why this was controversial at the time -- I would never be caught dead cheering for any other canadian team, regardless of circumstance. 

I think it wasn't so much the controversy as it was the mask off moment. Forever the rhetoric was "Well you should cheer for X because its Canadian and its good for the game" then when our team rolls around suddenly thats the unacceptable position.

Their top scorers have been lights-out, their top defenders (Tanev included) have been brilliant and their goalie has been one of the best in the league. I think it's their bottom-6 and bottom pairing defenders and lack of proper depth that is costing them the games right now.

They'll be a fringe playoff team for sure and have the quality to push, especially if Marky and Tanev stay healthy all season. Markstrom alone can carry that team to the playoffs. Bit too early to panic in my opinion but that being said, they're 5th in a very strong division so need to really dig deep the way the Canucks just have.

8 hours ago, tas said:

I'd be more than willing to cheer for Ottawa, Montreal, or Winnipeg.  I'll even cheer for Toronto if they're playing the Bruins.  However, it will be a cold day in hell before I ever cheer fore an AHLberta team.  Both Edmonton and Calgary are full of ignorant inter-species fornicators supporting two franchises filled with players who disgrace the sport on a nightly basis.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I'd be more than willing to cheer for Ottawa, Montreal, or Winnipeg.  I'll even cheer for Toronto if they're playing the Bruins.  However, it will be a cold day in hell before I ever cheer fore an AHLberta team.  Both Edmonton and Calgary are full of ignorant inter-species fornicators supporting two franchises filled with players who disgrace the sport on a nightly basis.

the way I see it, the cup win would be just a smidge more meaningful if we're also bringing the cup back to canada for the first time in decades.

On 1/29/2021 at 4:46 PM, Chanmanx007 said:

Calgary hold an emergency player meeting to figure out whats wrong

You gotta feel for the fans in Calgary and Ottawa right now with the type of effort and attitude their teams have, ironically both teams are led by siblings from a single family called Tkachuks.

On 1/29/2021 at 4:54 PM, Kragar said:

I can muster some sympathy for Ottawa fans due to the team's tightwad owner.  However, Flames fans can suck it.

On 1/29/2021 at 5:00 PM, Coconuts said:

I don't feel sorry for Calgary at all, &^@# em. Every time we're doing poorly they're gloating. Same goes for Edmonton.

I only feel bad for the Sens because their fanbase has had to endure what stems from having the worst owner in the NHL for ages. Melnyk's a joke. Sens fans deserve better. 

A pox on all of their houses...

regards,  G.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1