The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnipeg Jets | January 30, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, SN, TVAS2

Rate this topic

-SN-

14 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Oj is a plus 2 in 7 games, JC is a plus 1 in 5 games................both having sheltered minutes

and although you are right about Chatfield being a better skater than OJ

You have to have a succession plan for Edler....,,,,,,,you have to!

It is not about OJ vs JC

It is about getting OJ ready

I have no problem with platooning, but these guys need ice time

Unless Benning does not plan on using him

But god help us if Hughes or edler go down and we do not have someone ready

And just to point out something......OJ has not played bad

No - not really.

Chatfield at 33.3% ozone starts

OJ at 34.1% ozone starts.  OJ also playing a 2nd pairing penatly killing role (nearly 2 minutes/game pk).

Not sheltered - actually quite challenging minutes, particularly for rookies,

Playing with a veteran partner isn't really enough to consider them 'sheltered' imo.

Which is very promising.  They're both proving to be very serviceable already - so blueline depth is looking pretty good.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

A week ago my fire Green bandwagon was sold out but seems a lot have jumped ship but I do have faith, month two is upon us, typically not our best month so I’m hopeful but sadly every time Green is standing on the edge of the abyss the teams does just enough to keep him from falling off. 

No cup for us for 2-4 years after Green is gone, the longer it takes to fire Green the longer we go without a cup but if he stays for more than another 2-3 years our current core will be past its prime and then who knows but what the heck, what’s another 50 years?

Another one... These types of “fans” think they have it all bases covered. If the team loses - “I told you so”. If the team wins - well, the team won, everyone is happy. True students of Tony Gallagher school...

• Cheers 2

47 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Just a small random thought

There is some talk tonite about OJ vs JC

And I thought Chatfield played a great game

But Edler is here 1 maybe 2 more seasons

And there is decline in Edlers game, albeit small

but it is decline, never the less

So, I think it is damned important to develop OJ and get those reps in

I am not saying, he needs every game or anything, but we need him in, just much as JC

Just saying!

The bane of the veteran is injuries, the blessing for prospects are injuries to veterans.

• Haha 1

So for my summery I’m enjoying chatfields play seems to be serviceable already, he and OJ will probably split time this season to bed them both in.

Myers looked pretty good defensively tonight. Was playing very well positionally and gave Demko a lot to work with by shutting off shooting lanes. 

Hoglander was a beast out there tonight. BB looks to be on a purple patch. 

we still need to tighten up at the back, NS with a few careless giveaways in our own end.

ive criticised the forwards for not circling back for options on breakouts and while they need to do more I’m starting to see a number of them do so rather than float in the neutral zone

2 hours ago, Qwags said:

How tf did Hoglander go 40th overall?

Hoglander's birthday made him miss the 2018 draft class which made him older then the rest of the guys and scouts really like players that get drafted at 17 going on 18 July August and late June birthdays are preferable. It just meant he was a old 18 player playing against 16 and 17 year olds which means any stats he got could be possibly inflated by being bigger strong more matured. We see in in the OHL WHL so on all the time lower round 19-20 year olds lead the league but then they move to AHL and they become 3rd line grinders. 

Hoglander is a late bloomer it happens. Auston Matthew was the same but he showed much earlier that he was skilled  

1 hour ago, bertuzzi44fan said:

Kinda lucky with the division draw this year,think they'd get killed a lot more if the regular schedule was going.

how so 6 of the 7 teams made the playoffs  last year  its probably the toughest division with the toughest travel schedule lol 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, TNucks1 said:

willie or dallas eakins would be better, okay got it, also yeah i dunno about torts lol.

Since AV we’ve been bred to be a passive turn the other cheek team and Green is just a mini AV, kinda worked for AV despite his softness since he had the best team of the era but we should have had 2 or 3 Cups, not one good run and a bunch of early exits. That attitude does not work in the playoffs. What Green is doing is softening our talent and the longer he stays the softer they’ll get. When we did get Torts he was just to far the opposite to the softness AV bred into the Canucks and it didn’t work, we’re getting close to that point with Green, too much longer and this squad will be a write off.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BLU3GR33NBL00D said:

Chatfield a breath of fresh air on defence

He jumps right into the play and knows when to pinch

Chatfield is on the path that most Dmen take not all of them come out like Hughes and Chatfield is never going to be a Hughes but he could very well possibly be a top 4 guy in this league the kid is 24 years old

6 minutes ago, RomanP said:

Another one... These types of “fans” think they have it all bases covered. If the team loses - “I told you so”. If the team wins - well, the team won, everyone is happy. True students of Tony Gallagher school...

Our team is a failure, unlike most I support our players, I don’t jump on trade this one or that one bandwagons. I have been against our soft coaches since AV, I do not cover any bases, I have one agenda and it’s been the same since AV, give us a tough coach that can build a tough team, I’m probably the most consistent fan you’ll ever meet. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Since AV we’ve been bred to be a passive turn the other cheek team and Green is just a mini AV, kinda worked for AV despite his softness since he had the best team of the era but we should have had 2 or 3 Cups, not one good run and a bunch of early exits. That attitude does not work in the playoffs. What Green is doing is softening our talent and the longer he stays the softer they’ll get. When we did get Torts he was just to far the opposite to the softness AV bred into the Canucks and it didn’t work, we’re getting close to that point with Green, too much longer and this squad will be a write off.

hmm, AVs coaching Philly and there 6-2-1, im pretty sure they arent playing soft either.

• Cheers 1