The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnipeg Jets | January 30, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, SN, TVAS2

Rate this topic

-SN-

7 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

our PP can cycle well but it can be predictable also that drop pass kills me, but its also on our players to shoot the damn puck.

I did how pp unit 2 shoots but their makeup is a bit more of a shoot and rebound style 

i like how unit 1 works it around but they far too often give themselves a shot and choose not to take it in the hopes of making a “perfect pass” 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, NucksinNorway said:

I just need to ask. Win or lose, is anybody missing Jake Virtanen? 

OK, maybe not fair to ask since we haven't lost without him. But.  

Nice to have depth - and nice to have options.   This shortened schedule is going to start filling the infirmary given how condensed it is ... already happening to other teams.    Like him or not - he's blocking LE... so is Hogs... also it's good to get 11 games out of the way that quickly and to come out unscathed (knock on wood)...well not entirely we have lost Hamonic and Haryulk

Edited by IBatch

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

I did how pp unit 2 shoots but their makeup is a bit more of a shoot and rebound style 

i like how unit 1 works it around but they far too often give themselves a shot and choose not to take it in the hopes of making a “perfect pass” 

When we are up a few goals it's a fun watch burning a couple minutes off the clock ... but for sure it can be frustrating at times ... as fans we should have lots of experience watching the Sedins play keep away too.. EP has hit more post and cross bars then any other player in the league - i'm not too worried - it should end up in the 24-25% range, which is a lot better then we've had since the peak Sedin and WCE era the last 20 years. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, samurai said:

The first time I watched Burr play yeah he was on the 4th line but he didn't look like a plug at all - there clearly was talent there.  A plug in my definition is someone who can easily be replaced and has a skill set that makes even 3rd line a stretch.   He took the long road but you gotta be very skilled to do so.

Mottes doing that right now.   His individual effort last night at the end of his shift, passing the puck off the boards to himself to gain the blue line was pure skill (he had a guy right on him), collected the puck with five Jets in their zone, skated it to the back boards, met with a couple Jets, kept possesion and made a perfect pass into the slot behind their net for a grade A scoring chance.   

McEwen can't do that .. Love the guy but nope ... Glad at least TG is rewarding him with the ice time ... hope he stays healthy and when he gets his chance in the top six makes the most of it.   Best takeaway player in the entire playoffs up until we lost.   It's not easy knocking pucks out of the air - and it's not easy getting on the score sheet starting in the D-zone on away games against the best in the world ... 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Mottes doing that right now.   His individual effort last night at the end of his shift, passing the puck off the boards to himself to gain the blue line was pure skill (he had a guy right on him), collected the puck with five Jets in their zone, skated it to the back boards, met with a couple Jets, kept possesion and made a perfect pass into the slot behind their net for a grade A scoring chance.   

McEwen can't do that .. Love the guy but nope ... Glad at least TG is rewarding him with the ice time ... hope he stays healthy and when he gets his chance in the top six makes the most of it.   Best takeaway player in the entire playoffs up until we lost.   It's not easy knocking pucks out of the air - and it's not easy getting on the score sheet starting in the D-zone on away games against the best in the world ... 

Great game by the team. MacEwen needs TOI and will progress. The standouts for me were Chatfield and Hogs. When Chatfield drove down the wing and circled the net before making a play I was totally impressed. His confidence is escalating. It made me think back at how he stood out in his Memorial Cup. Hogs is like a dog on a bone. His puck handling and anticipation is superior. 

• Cheers 3

25 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Great game by the team. MacEwen needs TOI and will progress. The standouts for me were Chatfield and Hogs. When Chatfield drove down the wing and circled the net before making a play I was totally impressed. His confidence is escalating. It made me think back at how he stood out in his Memorial Cup. Hogs is like a dog on a bone. His puck handling and anticipation is superior. 

So happy for Hogs that he scored on that shift.  The power move he made just prior to that was nice to see.  He was a man on a mission and got rewarded 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

When we are up a few goals it's a fun watch burning a couple minutes off the clock ... but for sure it can be frustrating at times ... as fans we should have lots of experience watching the Sedins play keep away too.. EP has hit more post and cross bars then any other player in the league - i'm not too worried - it should end up in the 24-25% range, which is a lot better then we've had since the peak Sedin and WCE era the last 20 years. 

The overall effort and execution was great yesterday 

the one thing we need to do ice ice the puck under extreme pressure

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Since AV we’ve been bred to be a passive turn the other cheek team and Green is just a mini AV, kinda worked for AV despite his softness since he had the best team of the era but we should have had 2 or 3 Cups, not one good run and a bunch of early exits. That attitude does not work in the playoffs. What Green is doing is softening our talent and the longer he stays the softer they’ll get. When we did get Torts he was just to far the opposite to the softness AV bred into the Canucks and it didn’t work, we’re getting close to that point with Green, too much longer and this squad will be a write off.

Hard teams need hard players bro. AV didn’t have heavy forwards, Travis green doesn’t have an abundance of heavy forwards either. How are you going to coach EP or the Sedins into playing that style? It doesn’t work. You need the players in order to play that style. The style you coach needs to fit the players. Look at MacEwen for an example. Green isn’t coaching that gorilla to be a softy, he lets him play to his strengths. I don’t think Horvat is a softy, he drives hard to the net, plays hard along the boards. If you want a “harder” team, then start complaining about who we are drafting and acquiring. You can’t train a Corgi to be a German Shepard. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Hard teams need hard players bro. AV didn’t have heavy forwards, Travis green doesn’t have an abundance of heavy forwards either. How are you going to coach EP or the Sedins into playing that style? It doesn’t work. You need the players in order to play that style. The style you coach needs to fit the players. Look at MacEwen for an example. Green isn’t coaching that gorilla to be a softy, he lets him play to his strengths. I don’t think Horvat is a softy, he drives hard to the net, plays hard along the boards. If you want a “harder” team, then start complaining about who we are drafting and acquiring. You can’t train a Corgi to be a German Shepard. 

Yep.   McEwen, Motte and Myers tow the line - sure  Miller and Horvat and Edler and some others can do it too (Beagle/AR) but this team like 30 other teams in the league now except for many Vegas, isn't built that way anymore.  It's sad for me and i'm sure for others...Burke made a point showing how many ridiculous soft penalties are called these days... breath on someone wrong ... for sure if there is a game with 9-10 PPs - an entire period of special teams, you should be expecting a barn yard brawl not just the average game.   Hope the league listens to this and fixes it fast. 

Edit: Remember bench clearing brawls?   Feel OTT/PHI a decade or so ago - was like the league getting it out of their system ... you know the game where shift after shift fought each other.   That's a barn yard brawl folks.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

Great game by the team! Interested to see how this Sam Bennett trade request and Jake Virtanen healthy scratching pans out...not looking good for Jake to bump someone out of the lineup, only guy would be Gaudette I guess.

Sure hope we have a pair of Russians joining our team for reinforcements come May, that would be our TDL additions without having to give up any picks or prospects this season!

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It has never happened before under that criteria since Atlanta moved to Winnipeg.

We actually did beat the Jets in a shootout on March 12, 2014.  I remember because my friend who lives in Winnipeg and I were trash talking each other.

Edit:  Mind you, was not in regulation time.   But yeah....ding dong the witch is dead.

image.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So after watching that game it was a fair bit closer than the score suggests.  WPG had some great chances they didn't convert on, but VAN battled hard as well. 

Hard fought game and not looking forward to seeing WPG six more times.  They are probably the nastiest team by far in the Canadian division

6 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

So after watching that game it was a fair bit closer than the score suggests.  WPG had some great chances they didn't convert on, but VAN battled hard as well. 

Hard fought game and not looking forward to seeing WPG six more times.  They are probably the nastiest team by far in the Canadian division

It was a battle for sure.   Probably good for the team to reset their level of play to what a tough win looks like.  After Ottawa, was a good test.  Goaltending's going to be huge again with the style of hockey we play.  I have total faith in our tandem.

• Like 4

What a game. Hogs is becoming one of the exciting stories for me this year. 

Horvat had an ok game. I saw him get frustrated a few times but I like that. I think there's a bit of Miller rubbing off on him which is a good thing. 

I love the Sedins and know they cared every time they stepped on the ice but as a fan, it's refreshing when a player spazzes at himself for not playing up to his standards. There's more emotion and it pumps up the rest of the team to bring their A game. 

Boeser, what can I say. His back and wrist must feel better. He is skating much harder in both ends of the rink and looks great out there. 

41 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Weird cause honestly I thought that was the cleanest game of the season.  No dirty stuff at all from either side.  It was a battle, but after the first period, the only reason the score wasn’t 7-1 was cause of Hellebuyck.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Really? I thought it was less close tham the score suggested. Vancouver dominated, they played better than they did in their 7-1 win against Ottawa

• Cheers 1