The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnipeg Jets | January 30, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, SN, TVAS2

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We actually play them 8 more times...

Next time will be with Dubois. So yea nice to get the win but it will be tough to get points out of them consistently.

Omg u shouldn't have told me lol!

PLD I can live with.  Just happy no Byfuglien

• Hydration 1
4 hours ago, MattJVD said:

Really? I thought it was less close tham the score suggested. Vancouver dominated, they played better than they did in their 7-1 win against Ottawa

Yeah while watching I saw WPG had a few nice opportunities that didnt pan out.  They missed the net a bunch too.  But Demko also had some great saves/rebound control that prevented others.

Hell of a game though.    

4 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

Weird cause honestly I thought that was the cleanest game of the season.  No dirty stuff at all from either side.  It was a battle, but after the first period, the only reason the score wasn’t 7-1 was cause of Hellebuyck.

By nasty I also mean just tough in general.  WPG plays hard.   

What a fantastic performance.  I agree with most here, that was the best performance of the season so far. It was meaningful because it keeps the momentum going to the road games ahead. Those Ottawa games were really the boost they needed, we needed to see them pump in some goals. loved it. I'm so happy for those guys, keep it rolling!!!!!

Boeser has his shot back baby, looking like an Olympian out there! Hoglander with the engine going! keep it up!!! lets gooooo!!!!!!

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Hoglander is a gem, and I wonder if him being so impressive really exposed Jake for the player he is and will be. Hoglander, Motte, Gaudette and MacEwen (up front) are making the most of their opportunities. How many more chances does Jake get to do what is expected? Maybe it's not even that Jake doesn't want to do the work or get better - maybe he can't. Maybe he's just not wired to react quickly with the best options, while anticipating play at high speed. It takes a special athlete to do this, and maybe Jake struggles with this. Processing the game at high speed with little time and space.  

Canucks are getting better by the game, and now have more confidence after breaking the WPG streak. Watch out MTL, here come the Canucks. The D game was exceptional last night, Boeser is great this year, Hoglander is phenomenal with his hustle and skill. And the goaltending...4 straight games at only 1 goal against. This team is just heating up, wait until Miller actually gets going.

• Hydration 2
7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hoglander is a gem, and I wonder if him being so impressive really exposed Jake for the player he is and will be. Hoglander, Motte, Gaudette and MacEwen (up front) are making the most of their opportunities. How many more chances does Jake get to do what is expected? Maybe it's not even that Jake doesn't want to do the work or get better - maybe he can't. Maybe he's just not wired to react quickly with the best options, while anticipating play at high speed. It takes a special athlete to do this, and maybe Jake struggles with this. Processing the game at high speed with little time and space.  

Canucks are getting better by the game, and now have more confidence after breaking the WPG streak. Watch out MTL, here come the Canucks. The D game was exceptional last night, Boeser is great this year, Hoglander is phenomenal with his hustle and skill. And the goaltending...4 straight games at only 1 goal against. This team is just heating up, wait until Miller actually gets going.

JV reminds me a lot of how the fanbase handled Zack Kassian. We all had such high expectations that just never came. Later found out that he was a raging alcoholic but maybe JV has some hidden explanation as to why he can’t seem to grab another gear. 

1 minute ago, Convincing John said:

JV reminds me a lot of how the fanbase handled Zack Kassian. We all had such high expectations that just never came. Later found out that he was a raging alcoholic but maybe JV has some hidden explanation as to why he can’t seem to grab another gear. 

Lacking Hockey IQ and Compete.

See Macewan as a direct comparison 

One has had to work his butt off to even make the AHL

the other is a top 10 draft pick. Never been hungry, broke or in jeopardy of not making the NHL(PAYDAY)

I said months ago, that if JV had ZM hustle he would be a 30+goal scorer.

Looks like JV lost his roster spot to.....

BIG ZACK MACEWAN!:emot-parrot:

• Hydration 3
  • Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

Goldy, megna, Hodgson, Schaller, del Zatto, Pouliot, Sopel, Sandlak, Murzyn, Cloutier, Nedved, Krutov and the list goes on

Thanks man, I had forgotten about those dudes. Now I won't be able to sleep for a week.      :frantic:

I think Jake is such a talking point because he has soooo much potential. It is also why the coaching staff and management won't give up on him. I am not a Jake hater but I will admit that I am losing interest in him. Watching a player like Hoglander makes you forget real quick. Mac also.  Motte is finding another level.

17 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I find it funny how Miller not going is still tied for 15th in the league in points...while missing the first 3 of his team's games.

Look how far we've come from freaking out about giving away a 20th overall pick for him.

Edited by Rindiculous
5 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

I find it funny how Miller not going is still tied for 15th in the league in points...while missing the first 3 of his team's games.

Look how far we've come from freaking out about giving away a 20th overall pick for him.

Bolts still won a Cup without him.

Sometimes a trade can be a big win-win for both clubs.

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

People need to lay off all the Virtanen criticism. It’s tired and played out. At this point he is what he is. Doesn’t do any good to continually pile on.

I see the teams development of him as just as much of a factor as his lack of effort. They brought him in too soon and made him think he had made it. Never forced him to kill penalties and learn the defensive side of the game. You can thank Willie for that.

Thats why these early years of a players development are so important and why we’re lucky to have Green teaching them. Just be thankful we have a guy like Hoglander stepping up this season.

Good points.  JV seems to be passive aggressively resisting the box or role the staff is trying to put him and (more than likely) doesnt understand what he needs to do to get re casted as a top 6.   We can see on the ice that he has been given opportunities but he doesn't really create too much opportunities with questionable defence.  At this point, he seems to be contented collecting an NHL salary - he seems to lack the off ice preparedness to compensate for the mental side of the game - imo (bad attitude (?)).

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yah obviously, but did you not remember the media rage when the trade first went through from the Canucks end?

• Hydration 1
30 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Not sure you can call that a win-win, simply because Tampa went on to win the Cup.

Getting a 20th overall pick for Miller - is a (mean value pick) loss imo.  But Tampa had enough left remaining to win regardless.

That said - they relatively stole him in the 1st place - as part of the McDonagh deal that (a lot riding on Miller to rescue some lasting value for the Rags in that deal - K'Andre that is).

That pick (20th overall) was half the price it cost them to acquire Coleman though (that 1st + Nolan Foote/a 1st round pick - got them Coleman) - who helped them win that Cup.  Still a pretty steep price to pay for Coleman and a 3rd = Miller and a 1st....  No Cup and Tampa probably gets ripped for that value chain....

• Hydration 1
4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Not sure you can call that a win-win, simply because Tampa went on to win the Cup.

Getting a 20th overall pick for Miller - is a (mean value pick) loss imo.  But Tampa had enough left remaining to win regardless.

That said - they relatively stole him in the 1st place - as part of the McDonagh deal that (a lot riding on Miller to rescue some lasting value for the Rags in that deal - K'Andre that is).

That pick (20th overall) was half the price it cost them to acquire Coleman though (that 1st + Nolan Foote/a 1st round pick - got them Coleman) - who helped them win that Cup.  Still a pretty steep price to pay for Coleman and a 3rd = Miller and a 1st....  No Cup and Tampa probably gets ripped for that value chain....

True but to be fair how long a leash would Gillis have gotten had Luongo managed to up his game (to just a reasonable level) for just one of those away games in 2011.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
16 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Alright who complained. I want Loui emoji back Lol. 

I'm not taking credit for anything. But I did complain, and I'm happy it's gone.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1