The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnipeg Jets | January 30, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, SN, TVAS2

Rate this topic

-SN-

9 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

yeah I hear you, I was on the JV train for quite awhile but now.. I don't even care if we protect him or not.

I was hoping he was easily 2nd line material and possibly 1st line injury move-ups when needed but he looks out of place on both.. he literally has to kill that lil inward spoiled brat leftover in his head I think, I'm kinda pissed about it and I rarely get pissed about much.

Perhaps when he realized that his hockey career is ending and he has to get a real job he will develope the neccessary attitude & work ethic to justify the teams investments.  If was JB, I would sign him until his last big FA - probably until he is 28 or 30 - then I would trade him one year prior or let him walk and let someone else pay him just like JM.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Perhaps when he realized that his hockey career is ending and he has to get a real job he will develope the neccessary attitude & work ethic to justify the teams investments.  If was JB, I would sign him until his last big FA - probably until he is 28 or 30 - then I would trade him one year prior or let him walk and let someone else pay him just like JM.

I'm not sure I agree in one aspect though, above average middling players with roughly the same skillset isn't that hard to find and I'd rather someone there who lives and breathes hockey instead in a roster spot 

41 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If Kassian woke up. Why does Jake have 2 more points than Kassian's best year? And he gets to play with McDavid at times. Jake has consistency and drive issues.

That's what drives fans nuts. When people say let's trade for Bennett. Guess what, Gaudette has 3 points less than Bennett's best year. And Bennett's best year was 5 years ago. 

He rides shotgun with McDavid to be his bodyguard (Kassian isn't really a heavyweight but a respectable light heavyweight fighter).  That's his main objective when on that line.  Would be nice to have such a player on EP's wing at times (Miller would be wasted in that function as he's actually a legit first line forward - don't want him in the penalty box).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

57 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If Kassian woke up. Why does Jake have 2 more points than Kassian's best year? And he gets to play with McDavid at times. Jake has consistency and drive issues.

That's what drives fans nuts. When people say let's trade for Bennett. Guess what, Gaudette has 3 points less than Bennett's best year. And Bennett's best year was 5 years ago. 

I think a lot of fans like trade ideas / proposals just because they have fun making moves (in their head) 

It's like making moves just for the sake of making moves but incurring risk for no reason / no additional upside)

We're a pretty good team on an upward trajectory. I don't see why we would trade JV or AG (2 x 24 yr olds) just for the sake of making moves when both are scoring at 0.52 and 0.56 pts/gm in a limited bottom 6 role on cap friendly contracts. 

As long as their attitudes aren't detrimental to the team, you need guys like that in the bottom 6. Who knows, in 4 years, at 28 years old, they might end up being 60-65 pt players in a 3rd line role when we are perrenial contenders for the cup. 

Miller is a good example for JV. He had similar numbers to JV while being a highly touted first round pick by NY. I think JVs numbers are one year later in terms of development. 

It wasn't until 2 trades later that he's now a solid player. 

I like the fact that while our top 6 is looking great (especially with the emergence of Hog), JVs floor is a bottom 6 role. 

Trading him now either gives you a bottom 6 guy with no upside or a 2nd/3rd rounder which is a crapshoot anyway. 

Ppl forget that we had guys like Higgins, Lapierre, Torres, oreskovich, bolduc, etc during our cup run. 

In 3 years, JV, AG, Motte, MacEwen should be better than those guys

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm just glad Zack has got his off ice issues settled. But CDC seems to suffer a lot of "grass is always greener elsewhere" when it comes to players. 

We've been spoiled by the 1st round picks that were home runs.

Fact is, there's NO WAY every single 1st round selection by Jim Benning will end up like EP or Hughes.  NO NHL GM can do that.

Sometimes a player turns into a single base hit or ground rule double.  No shame in that; regardless of draft position.  Even Ted Williams had strikeouts (rarely lol but it did happen).