The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnipeg Jets | January 30, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, SN, TVAS2

Rate this topic

21 minutes ago, tas said:

the problem with jake is he's a tweener -- he doesn't have the skillset to be a top 6 producer, and doesn't have the balls or work ethic to be a bottom 6 difference maker. 

he's destined to be a star in europe. 

What kind of star.....

200.gif

29 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Unfortunately Jake has been a 6th OA bust. A fringe NHL’er at best. He will be in and out of the lineup here on. He is no longer a prospect and needs to be treated as what he is. A marginal bottom 6 player who had all the opportunities to be otherwise but couldn’t do it.

Too many folks still clinging on to his draft position. To those is I say it’s ok, it happens to every team! Time to move on about this...

Agree to this 100%....  I also feel if he was on any other team in the nhl , they would’ve buried him in the minors or put him on waivers.  

If he has out 50% of Motte’s effort I would be happy with him.    Great pick up by Benning btw, love motte!  

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
9 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The Canucks are 1-14-0 in their last 15 games against the Jets. The last time we won was on Dec. 20, 2016.

The Jets should be contenders right now, through a stroke of bad luck lost Byfiglien (a top tier all-around RHD) Trouba (their heir apparent), and an underutilized but still one of the better 5 x 5 per minute producing giant sized Myers in one fell swoop.   Pionk has done an admirable job at mitigating this ...  Five years ago WNP had the best 21 and under group in the NHL - THN boldly predicted they'd end up contenders at the time and it seemed like they'd do that until this happened.

They are still a good team...but not as good.   The Canucks are where they were a year or two before they went to the conference semi's.... Edge WNP still but not by much.    Hard to say who will win this years series - but will say if we manage .500 then we've done better then we probably should. 

• Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

I grew up a die hard Jets fan, my room was covered in Jets swag. When they left for Phx I swapped over to the Canucks completely cause they had grown on me during the 94 run. When the Jets came back I felt like Helen Hunt did when Tom Hanks came back in Castaway. There are still residual feelings I repress but I moved on. Go Canucks. 

That's similar to my deal but it was the Oilers instead.   Wayne Gretzky, Paul Coffey, Messier, Kurri, Lowe, Anderson, Furh and co were just too good to ignore and like most of my friends got caught up in the hype despite living in BC.   Shameful to admit, but i was just a kid and nothing like that had ever happened quite like that before ...

Hawerchuk, Babych , Carlyle, Housley etc also made for a reason to root for WNP...80's-95 hockey was loaded with hockey hero's.    

All that changed after Gretzky and Coffey left ... and the 89 Canucks team put me on the right path.  Watching the Oilers win in 1990 did give me some chills still - but i'd already switched sides, thanks to my elders.   

Noticed when my kids were younger - a lot of PIT in the grade school after Crosby won his first cup.   Kids definitely gravitate to who's winning.   CHI too. 

Even in 93 i was rooting for LA,  not TO, not MTL - but can say my hero worship died that year.   Its ok to switch teams.   All my uncles had too ... growing up in the original six era going from TO or MTL to the Canucks.    Pretty sure they still enjoyed Lafleur, Dryden, Robinson and co .... and also lost my house where i was staying at in 93 because the owner was still a Habs fan and didn't like it when i cheered for Gretzky lol.  

Right now it feels like we are witnessing history with this young team.   Hiccups will happen - but i'm pretty sure if JB just keeps things up, can pull one or two more rabbits out of his hat we are going to be golden.   WNP is definitely a solid team with a bright future.   Just like they were in the early 90's.

• Hydration 3
8 hours ago, tas said:

big heavy bodies only help if they don't actively avoid contact. 

jake plays like he's johnny gaudreau size. 

In his defence :picard:,  his last couple of games with ZM i noticed him finishing his checks, one shift early I counted 2 good hits by both of them, 

CRASH BROTHERS!

But other shifts with turn overs, not getting the puck out of our zone, drifting around, etc just don't cut it.

All that speed he should at least terrorise with a fast heavy forecheck.

Go canucks go 

• Hydration 2
57 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Unfortunately Jake has been a 6th OA bust. A fringe NHL’er at best. He will be in and out of the lineup here on. He is no longer a prospect and needs to be treated as what he is. A marginal bottom 6 player who had all the opportunities to be otherwise but couldn’t do it.

Too many folks still clinging on to his draft position. To those is I say it’s ok, it happens to every team! Time to move on about this...

So he did not turn out to be Pettersson. He is a solid 3rd liner that can play PP2 minutes. This marginal garbage is just you crying because we didn't take Nylander or Ehlers or whoever you wanted. 

Stop your crying and accept what Jake is and move on. I couldn't imagine what it is like in your house. You got an A in Math, how dare you not get an A+.

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
30 minutes ago, sassbs said:

Agree to this 100%....  I also feel if he was on any other team in the nhl , they would’ve buried him in the minors or put him on waivers.  

If he has out 50% of Motte’s effort I would be happy with him.    Great pick up by Benning btw, love motte!  

Agree 100% with both of you.

You'll  notice that the JV Bromancers are now accepting the fact that Jake is now a SOLID 3rd lineer and PP2 guy. I'm sorry but JV is not a solid 3rd liner this year after 10 games. IMHO

Go Canucks go 

• Hydration 1
3 hours ago, You Mad Bro? said:

I think there not being fans in the building will probably help us. That and no patches scraggly beard. Lived in Winnipeg for two years. Garbage city full of garbage people. Canucks will win :frantic::canucks:

As a Winnipegger I understand there are things about our city that are not desirable, But I find it offensive to read a blanket statement saying that its full of garbage people. In turn I would not say Vancouver is full of garbage people based on what i've seen on say east hastings.

Edited by Mbnuckfan
spelling
  • Thanks 1
  • Sedinery 1
8 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

So he did not turn out to be Pettersson. He is a solid 3rd liner that can play PP2 minutes. This marginal garbage is just you crying because we didn't take Nylander or Ehlers or whoever you wanted. 

Stop your crying and accept what Jake is and move on. I couldn't imagine what it is like in your house. You got an A in Math, how dare you not get an A+.

I respect your opinion Fan, i do, but, after 10 games JV is anything but a SOLID 3rd liner.

And if Jake got an A- even from his coaches and team mates he could be a solid 3rd liner in the NHL 

Go Canucks go 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Agree 100% with both of you.

You'll  notice that the JV Bromancers are now accepting the fact that Jake is now a SOLID 3rd lineer and PP2 guy. I'm sorry but JV is not a solid 3rd liner this year after 10 games. IMHO

Go Canucks go 

He is what he is and he is on our team. You fault me for seeing potential when you all crapped on him from day one. I have no problems with how he is playing and think he has been playing well. I think the Canucks have better options in the top 6 so he is a good bottom 6 on a line that has chemistry. 

You and how many others claim and bless Gaudette but Virtanen is a much better player than him. Yet, you all come onto the GDT thread to cry about Virt. 

• Vintage 1
2 hours ago, You Mad Bro? said:

I think there not being fans in the building will probably help us. That and no patches scraggly beard. Lived in Winnipeg for two years. Garbage city full of garbage people. Canucks will win :frantic::canucks:

Whoa Bro

Garbage people?? 

1 minute ago, We_Are_All_Canucks_4_life said:

Lets make it 2-14 against the jets tonight. Or better yet 1-0 this season

I like the wiping the slate clean/starting over with 1-0.   "Nothing lasts forever".

QUICK NUMBERS

• Bo Horvat has 10 points (5-5-10) through 10 games to start the season, including 8 points (4-4-8) in his last 6 games.
  • Brock Boeser has 9 points (6-3-9) in his last 10 games.
  • Quinn Hughes leads all NHL defensemen in points (11) and assists (10), including 8 points (1-7-8) in his last 6 games.
  • J.T. Miller has 9 points (2-7-9) in his last 6 games.
  • Tyler Motte has 4 goals in his last 6 games.
  • Brandon Sutter has 4 goals in his last 5 games.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnipeg Jets | January 30, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, SN, TVAS2
  • -Vintage Canuck- unfeatured, unpinned and locked this topic