The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnipeg Jets | January 30, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, SN, TVAS2

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

He is what he is and he is on our team. You fault me for seeing potential when you all crapped on him from day one. I have no problems with how he is playing and think he has been playing well. I think the Canucks have better options in the top 6 so he is a good bottom 6 on a line that has chemistry. 

You and how many others claim and bless Gaudette but Virtanen is a much better player than him. Yet, you all come onto the GDT thread to cry about Virt. 

No, i was a huge fan of his, the last 3 years has drained me of that.

Go Canucks go 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

So he did not turn out to be Pettersson. He is a solid 3rd liner that can play PP2 minutes. This marginal garbage is just you crying because we didn't take Nylander or Ehlers or whoever you wanted. 

Stop your crying and accept what Jake is and move on. I couldn't imagine what it is like in your house. You got an A in Math, how dare you not get an A+.

Year to year JV is at or near the top in thing like points per sixty and 5 x 5 GF and GA amongst our forward group.  He's getting paid like a young 3rd liner - before this aside from our ELC darlings - the best bang for the buck on the team. 

Hansen is idolized and spoken with reverence on this forum - because he was a late round pick more then anything, if he was picked 6th overall would be a lot of hate and what if's floating around.    Will say it again - scouts bust bar for a 6th overall is 400nhl games.   Even with Covid he's almost certainly making that bar next season... 500 almost a certainty 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

As for Jake....coach Green feels he hasn't quite found his game yet and needs to put more work in.  I've been a big Jake supporter (still am) but it's obvious why patience is wearing a little thin over time.  The fact that coach Green says "put more work in and practice more" means he likely isn't.  But should be if he's serious about it all.  If the other guys are so invested.

Virtanen had just one point in the Canucks’ first nine games, a goal that caromed off an opponent in Calgary, while averaging 11:57 of ice time, 11th among 12 Vancouver forwards. He had 14 shots on net and high-danger scoring chances were 20-9 against the Canucks when Virtanen was on the ice five-on-five.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/rediscovering-identity-canucks-get-true-test-progress-vs-jets/

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

I see his 2 issues as;

- lack of drive to be top 6 guy

- lack of a hockey brain/sense

he is literally the polar opposite of Motte and Hogs 

I think the big problem is that we just signed him for 2.55 mil for two seasons. Zack gives us more for $800,000.  Jimbo never seems to learn.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, afan said:

It's a stupid idea to let the first unit PP be on ice for the entire 2 mins of PP. These guys don't play with urgency as they think there's always lots of PP time left. All they do most of the time is to keep passing the pucks and not putting pucks on net to score. They don't create too many scoring chances even with 5 on 3s. Their cross ice passes are so predictable that they are easy to block to create turnovers, which give the PK shorthanded breakaways game after game. If this happens in the 2nd min of PP, Hughes and the entire unit will out of gas to chase. The idiot PP coach will eventually give the 2nd unit more time to play, may be only after the 1st unit PP gives up many more shorthanded goals.

Tell us how you really feel about the  idiot coaching staff?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I think the big problem is that we just signed him for 2.55 mil for two seasons. Zack gives us more for $800,000.  Jimbo never seems to learn.

Thing is though...with Jake there's so much potential there to tap into and it'd be a shame to walk away and see him flourish after putting in so much time and effort to get him there.  They're invested in him for good reason.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Violator said:

Don't have a good feeling about this one Winnipeg always beats us.

10 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The Canucks are 1-14-0 in their last 15 games against the Jets. The last time we won was on Dec. 20, 2016.

On the positive side, we are due to beat them. I'm not a believer in historical results. I believe in here and now. The Jets standings are misleading. They've only swept Ottawa like we did, they split with Edmonton like we did, they beat Calgary in OT while we lost 2 to Calgary. Not a huge difference between our teams. I got a good feeling about this one!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Interesting that Jake has been the perennial team leader in takeaways per 60 mins. Done usually by a hit rather than an active stick.

10 games in we have a new leader ...... Hoagie!!   (Who is also second among forwards - behind Motte ofc - in blocked shots per 60 mins

Our Viking warrior!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Filthymitts32 said:

Jake is 5th on the team with hits. Not saying he can't do more, I'd love to see him wreck guys every shift but saying he doesn't hit is not accurate. 

Jake is also a +1 compared to gauds being -5 with as many points, so I am in favour of Jake slotting in tonight for gauds. 

I think its great to be able to mix n match them in and out of the third line. Keep them hungry for more. competition internally is healthy and should make both of them better.

Go Canucks go 

18 minutes ago, Mbnuckfan said:

As a Winnipgger I understand there are things about our city that are not desirable, But I fing it offensive to read a blanket statement saying that its full of garbage people. In turn I would not say Vancouver is full of garbage people based on what i've seen on say east hastings.

Having been to the city a handful of times, I would tend to agree. Never met any "garbage" people. Every single big city in the world will have "garbage" people if you're looking for it.

Really hoping tonight is the night we change the tide on these guys. I say a 4-3 canucks win:towel:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

the problem with jake is he's a tweener -- he doesn't have the skillset to be a top 6 producer, and doesn't have the balls or work ethic to be a bottom 6 difference maker. 

he's destined to be a star in europe. 

Thanks tas...watch JV score a hat trick the next game he plays ... hockey god karma 

There is no accurate understanding of JVs future.   So far he's shown he can play like a bottom six player - surprised you hadn't noticed his linemates the last couple of seasons.  Funny how critical some folks are of guys like JV and AG... for a proper assessment he needs to be compared against his peer group.   Based on production alone where does he sit with R wingers... and for AG the same goes for him.    One point in nine games im sure isn't the start he wanted. There is time to turn that around.   AG too.    Really they are playing fourth line minutes on our team at the moment ... well the bottom six is splitting time - for sure the team needs more out of him, but he's on the positive side of the ledger despite the lack of production which is what you want out of these lines.

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is though...with Jake there's so much potential there to tap into and it'd be a shame to walk away and see him flourish after putting in so much time and effort to get him there.  They're invested in him for good reason.

I don’t think Jake responds  to Travis Green all that well , I think someday a new coach will set him free to play the way he has the potential to play. 

Edited by Toyotasfan
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

I have no problem with them continuing to try and make Jake into something. Just not for 2.55 mil. They should have let him walk and then offered him league minimum. The continual wasting of cap space is why Toffoli is not here. Or other valuable players. 

8 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Jake Virtanen and Jannik Hansen are nothing alike. Jannik Hansen was a dog on a bone who earned everything he was given in his hockey career starting from the bottom working his way up to the NHL and carving out a great career. Jake has been spoon fed from day one given his draft position, puts in Kyle Wellwood type efforts most nights, is more interested in chasing skirt at cactus club, and simply doesn’t get it. I cannot believe how much leash Travis Green and co have given him all this time considering Green has been with Jake since the AHL. You can feed me all the advanced stats you want but nothing is going to change mine or many other fans perspective on him. 

Yes i know - unlike Hansen he's a sixth overall which is my point exactly.   If he wasn't we'd be singing his praises.  And you kind of proved my point on Hansen - even the suggestion JV could end up with a similar career rubs folks the wrong way - the reverence and all.    JVs already outproduced all but one of his seasons - and that one was by two whole points and when he spent time with the Sedins ...

Edited by IBatch

IF JB gets the right offer he will trade Jake, but he won't want to come out of the dealer looking like a loser who just gave him away...but his value only gets lower with time, Calgary likes our players so maybe we should trade him for playoff performer Sam Bennett and give him a shot as our future #3C maybe?

3 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Jake Virtanen and Jannik Hansen are nothing alike. Jannik Hansen was a dog on a bone who earned everything he was given in his hockey career starting from the bottom working his way up to the NHL and carving out a great career. Jake has been spoon fed from day one given his draft position, puts in Kyle Wellwood type efforts most nights, is more interested in chasing skirt at cactus club, and simply doesn’t get it. I cannot believe how much leash Travis Green and co have given him all this time considering Green has been with Jake since the AHL. You can feed me all the advanced stats you want but nothing is going to change mine or many other fans perspective on him. 

Ah, the joys of certitude.  Nothing more satisfying than having a closed mind 

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Jake has been spoon fed from day one given his draft position

He plays low 3rd line minutes, gets benched, gets sat out, gets sent down to Utica, gets crapped on.

Yet people think he is "spoon fed":rolleyes:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1