The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Jake Virtanen For Sam Bennett

1 hour ago, Canucksince99 said:

If they can pull this trade off without giving up much more than just gaudette, I’d do it. Virtanen bennett and big mack on one line would be fun to watch. At the very least they will hit everything in sight and their physical play will push each other to be more physical and they have potential to grow offensively together too 

I’m wondering if the Flames would be interested in Gaudette + Tanner Pearson?

The Flames are clearly trying to “go for it” right now and Pearson is definitely a win now piece.   The Canucks likely won’t sign Pearson in the off-season anyways and so why not use him as trade bait in this deal?

The Canucks then call up Sven Baertschi and let him get some NHL playing time before he moves on at the end of the year.

Next season:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Podkolzin

MacEwen-Bennett-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

3 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I’m wondering if the Flames would be interested in Gaudette + Tanner Pearson?

The Flames are clearly trying to “go for it” right now and Pearson is definitely a win now piece.   The Canucks likely won’t sign Pearson in the off-season anyways and so why not use him as trade bait in this deal?

The Canucks then call up Sven Baertschi and let him get some NHL playing time before he moves on at the end of the year.

Next season:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Podkolzin

MacEwen-Bennett-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

I think giving Pearson away is a little much. He’s a proven scorer. He’s scored the most goals for us since we got him. He’s best friends with Horvat and I wonder what that would do to Horvat

22 minutes ago, Canucksince99 said:

I think giving Pearson away is a little much. He’s a proven scorer. He’s scored the most goals for us since we got him. He’s best friends with Horvat and I wonder what that would do to Horvat

I think Pearson will be gone at the end of the season anyways.   Move Pearson with Gaudette if that entices the Flames to give us Bennett and then promote Baertschi.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Hoglander

MacEwen-Bennett-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 4:26 AM, UKNuck96 said:

For me it’s not hate on AG more I cannot see his long term future here. He is not a top 6 and he isn’t a sutter replacement waiting in the wings.  

either we roll a top 9 and he is okay as 3C or we have a top 6 and a bottom 6 for shutdown anD defensive draws. Green and benning seem to go with the latter, as such he is the odd man out, similar to BaIer. Good players but no defined role here. I would like to see a 2 way 3c come in AG isn’t that Bennett isn’t either. Motte potentially could be

Id give him a long look on the wing before moving him.  I don't think 3C is a great role for him, but he could be OK on the wing.  

22 hours ago, BCNate said:

Id give him a long look on the wing before moving him.  I don't think 3C is a great role for him, but he could be OK on the wing.  

He could be okay on the wing but in what role? I cannot see him replacing Pearson, Miller Etc, he doesn’t fit on the 4th line with Beagle and Motte. 

he is an in between player like Baer. My view is we should pump and dump him to a team that’s looking to rebuild/tool and try and get picks or a player back that may be more suitable as a 3c

2 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

He could be okay on the wing but in what role? I cannot see him replacing Pearson, Miller Etc, he doesn’t fit on the 4th line with Beagle and Motte. 

he is an in between player like Baer. My view is we should pump and dump him to a team that’s looking to rebuild/tool and try and get picks or a player back that may be more suitable as a 3c

I'd try him on the wing with Horvat and Hoglander.  I can't see us bringing Pearson back next year, so he is certainly worth a look.  We are in a spot in the standings and season that it should be throw sh** at the wall and see what sticks.  I like our 4th line as is, but I'd like to see our top 9 for a few games as:

Hoglander-EP-Boeser

Miller-Horvat-Gaudette

Pearson-Sutter-Virtanen

I think we get more balanced production and our bottom 9 are tougher to play against set up like this.  Not ideal, but we can't continue with what we currently have, it's just not working.

• 5 months later...
On 1/30/2021 at 10:47 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

He also disappears during the regular season. Basically you're getting two opposite players, and doesn't really fix anything. Bennett got 36 points in his rookie year and has regressed. Virtanen got 36 points last year but doesn't have drive or consistency. I'd rather see Jake for something else. 

On 1/30/2021 at 10:50 PM, GarthButcher5 said:

I am not a fan of Bennett at all. He plays an undisciplined style, doesn't score a lot and is a Flame castoff. 

I'd rather flip Jake for a draft pick or something else.

On 1/31/2021 at 12:52 AM, ImConfused said:

Maybe when he was 18 years old, now Sammy is past his prime and on the decline into 4th line grinder obscurity :lol:

On 2/1/2021 at 2:42 PM, BPA said:

I think I would do a straight trade of JV for Bennett.  For the last 3 seasons Bennett has been above 50% on the faceoffs.   Might be a good replacement for Sutter.  So long as SB understands he's #3C.

Maybe change the lineups a bit to provide more balanced top 9 next year.

Motte EP Boeser

Hogs Bo Podz

Miller Bennett Gaudette 

Roussel Beagle BigMac 

On 2/2/2021 at 10:33 AM, Provost said:

Bennett isn't a long term replacement at all.  He is a guy that "can" play centre occasionally but hasn't ever solidified that spot.  He only represents an upgrade on Jake because of position.  Jake is a better player (and I am not a Virtanen fan at all).
During the expansion draft we should be able to upgrade for a true 3C.  There will be some guys teams can't protect who could be had for cheap.
Our best bet now is to either make trades to acquire picks that can be flipped for those expansion players, or to save our bullets until then and trade away players who might have some value in exchange.
We really have one benefit to not being a very good team, we have plenty of protected expansion slots available, that could be used on upgrades for guys we would otherwise use those slots on;

On forward, who do we really have to protect?  Petterson, Miller, Horvat, Boeser.  That is it... 4 out of 7 slots.  The fringe guys we "could" protect if we happened to have a spare slot, but could also easily be upgraded on are: Lind, Virtanen, Gaudette, MacEwan, Motte.

Out of that list the only one that would really hurt is Motte.  He is cheap and providing good value so give him our 5th slot.  The rest are replaceable.

On defence we have to protect Schmidt.  That is it.  The fringe list if we happened to have spare slots available are: Juolevi, Myers, Chatfield, and Rafferty.  None of those hurt much and could all be replaced for better players (or equivalent cheaper players in the unlikely event Myers was claimed).

Really, use any of our trade chips for 2nd-5th round picks and we can then use those picks to pick up spare players from other teams.  Foote from Tampa will most assuredly get exposed, he is an upgrade on Juolevi.  Carolina has 6 defencemen worth protecting so has 3 guys they can't.  

On 2/3/2021 at 12:50 AM, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

You must be kidding when mentioning trading Virtanen and Gaudette for Bennett because that would be a massive and unnecessary overpayment 

On 2/3/2021 at 9:07 PM, hammertime said:

I really doubt we would have to add. I think its a win win nucks get the higher floor player and calgary gets the higher cieling. Probably take the deal and run if I'm the flames GM while Travis ad JB just breathe a sigh of relief they don't have to deal with Jakes antics any more. 

:emot-parrot:

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1