The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sam Bennett requests trade

50 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Right now Schmidt and Juolevi have to get exempted by the Canucks. We have to expose either Myers or Chatfield.  If you trade Virt for another D who needs protection, then both Myers and Chatfield have to be exposed.  

Exposed?

Heck, I’d be offering quite a bit to ensure Seattle takes Myers. He has the only really bad contract with more than another year left on it.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Provost said:

We don’t have to protect all those guys... expecting to protect anyone mildly useful is a fool’s game.  What is the difference if they take MacEwan instead of Lind?  Not really any difference and players like that are replaceable, especially with another tight cap situation around the league again next offseason.

The players we “need” to protect:

Forward:

Petterson, Horvat, Boeser, Miller

Defence:  Schmidt

Goal: Demko

The players we “can” protect it we have spare slots and can’t upgrade on them through other means:

Motte, Juolevi, Macewan, Gaudette, Virtanen

Losing any of those guys isn’t a huge deal, but with our lack of PK players I would lean towards protecting Motte for his value.  There will be solid players available for between league minimum and $1 million dollars who would probably be better than any one of those guys we would lose.

That leaves 2 forward spots and 2 D slots that we can upgrade through trades, pick ups.

Only one is disagree with is Juolevi. We might be able to upgrade on him in the present but at a higher cap hit. Long term, I still like his ceiling and right now, he's likely cheaper than the alternative player we'd theoretically pick up. For those reasons, he gets a slot IMO.

That and it will likely be hard enough to make one trade to upgrade (cheaper and younger, if not better) on Myers vs two trades.

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Only one is disagree with is Juolevi. We might be able to upgrade on him in the present but at a higher cap hit. Long term, I still like his ceiling and right now, he's likely cheaper than the alternative player we'd theoretically pick up. For those reasons, he gets a slot IMO.

That and it will likely be hard enough to make one trade to upgrade (cheaper and younger, if not better) on Myers vs two trades.

Again, it isn’t a matter of not losing anyone.  If we protect Juolevi, we lose A guy like Lind who would also be a cheap roster spot.  I don’t see a lot of daylight between the two.

We “can” protect Juolevi if we have the extra slot available... but no compelling reason to avoid doing deals to upgrade the team because it could mean losing him.  We have Rathbone and Tryamkin as cheap bottom pairing options in the short term.

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

Again, it isn’t a matter of not losing anyone.  If we protect Juolevi, we lose A guy like Lind who would also be a cheap roster spot.  I don’t see a lot of daylight between the two.

We “can” protect Juolevi if we have the extra slot available... but no compelling reason to avoid doing deals to upgrade the team because it could mean losing him.  We have Rathbone and Tryamkin as cheap bottom pairing options in the short term.

D (eventually top 4) are worth more than wingers (or even converted  3-4C).

And I'm not suggesting we 'avoid' it. I just don't think it likely we'll be in a position to upgrade him when you take his age, cap and long term upside in to consideration. Especially on top of Myers. 

If we can upgrade (younger and/or cheaper) Myers and only lose a 3rd or 4th line F (or even better, Holtby), I consider it a job well done and thank our luck.

Let's not get greedy :P

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

Right now Schmidt and Juolevi have to get exempted by the Canucks. We have to expose either Myers or Chatfield.  If you trade Virt for another D who needs protection, then both Myers and Chatfield have to be exposed.  

Chatfield will be a UFA although CapFriendly still shows him as RFA.  Players who are 25, have 3 pro-seasons and have not played 80 NHL games become so-called group 6 UFAs.   

Myers or Schmidt have to be exposed to meet the minimum exposure requirement.  

15 minutes ago, mll said:

Chatfield will be a UFA although CapFriendly still shows him as RFA.  Players who are 25, have 3 pro-seasons and have not played 80 NHL games become so-called group 6 UFAs.   

Myers exposes himself on a weekly basis so it should be an easy transition for him...

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vannuck59 said:

I agree Hextall would be a bit of fresh air. The problem is the owners cant keep their hands out of the cookie jar  

Every owner will be somewhat involved

Its their business and passion. You dont buy a ferrari amd hire some one to drive it around without even getting to start it and take it around the block for a spin once in a while. . 

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, rekker said:

Sad but true. Unless the Flames continue their lust for ex Canucks 

Why does this guy have more value than JV. So he was good in the playoffs once.

He has 13 points over last season and this season combined.

Plus that moustache is fugly as.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, mll said:

We can easily extend Chatfield or Benn to satisfy the requirements. That being said we will 100% expose Myers in the draft. There is zero chance he is taken.

Edited by coryberg

5 hours ago, coryberg said:

We can easily extend Chatfield or Benn to satisfy the requirements. That being said we will 100% expose Myers in the draft. There is zero chance he is taken.

If not Meyers then who? Their going to take someone off the Canucks. Beyond hope but I would try dealing Erickson somehow. Seattle would have the CAP space. 

46 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If not Meyers then who? Their going to take someone off the Canucks. Beyond hope but I would try dealing Erickson somehow. Seattle would have the CAP space. 

It would be Myers who is exposed, his contract specifically is structured for it with his clause allowing him to be exposed.

Holtby is the most likely candidate to be taken. I would prefer Myers not to be taken as I think having him and tree next season would make a big difference with our defence 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

As it sits right now I would protect....

Petey 

Boeser

Miller

Horvat

Gaudette

Motte

Lind

Schmidt 

OJ 

????? (this is where I would like Benning to get creative, snagging a dman off of another team who can't protect them)

Demko

This leaves these players eligible to be picked...

Erikssson

Rousell 

Beagle

Virtanen 

Myers

Holtby

Seattle would also have the option of negotiating a deal with one of our unsigned UFA's (Sutter, Pearson, Edler, Hamonic, Benn)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, babalu said:

Why does this guy have more value than JV. So he was good in the playoffs once.

He has 13 points over last season and this season combined.

Plus that moustache is fugly as.

I don't mind Bennett, but it seems that some Nuck fans are really overrating the guy.  Sam is currently playing on Calgary's 4th line and some are suggesting he could play on Nuck's 2nd.  He is 24yr old Sam Bennett, who is no longer a top 6 player; he is now a bottom 6 grinder.

JV has more skill; Bennett has more drive/physicality.

I don't see JB making this trade with a divisional rival.  If it was offered by an eastern US team, he probably would.  Team need suggests that SB would offer more.  Think a 4th line of Bennett - Beagle - Mac.  Moving Motte up to 3rd  Motte -  Sutts -  Gaud

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I don't mind Bennett, but it seems that some Nuck fans are really overrating the guy.  Sam is currently playing on Calgary's 4th line and some are suggesting he could play on Nuck's 2nd.  He is 24yr old Sam Bennett, who is no longer a top 6 player; he is now a bottom 6 grinder.

JV has more skill; Bennett has more drive/physicality.

I don't see JB making this trade with a divisional rival.  If it was offered by an eastern US team, he probably would.  Team need suggests that SB would offer more.  Think a 4th line of Bennett - Beagle - Mac.  Moving Motte up to 3rd  Motte -  Sutts -  Gaud

Would rather have Bennett on 3rd line....We need MacEwen playing he really adds grit and makes those big hits, need his physical play..

We are very soft to play against this year, no urgency, out of position lots, looks like pond hockey and not much contact....

Miss that exciting team and this defence should be better then last year..

Schmidt --top D man --- Not playing his game? 

Hamonic -- #3 D man -- Only played a few games..He should be a lot better

Hughes -- Really having troubles in his defensive zone coverage--- Still has offensive side--He will figure it out soon....Superstar 

Myers -- Playing the best out of D core..

Edler -- Really gets beat on lots of plays this season....Hard to watch

Chatfield-- Playing okay for rookie

Juolevi -- Played okay can get beat on outside...Just happy he is healthy and coming along slow..

Rathbone -- Can't wait until he gets in a few games...Great skater, will be exciting to watch..

Over on the flames board they are quoting some guy that’s speculating gaudette plus virtanen for Bennett ... that’s a steep price lol  ... don’t shoot the messenger 

Edited by Darius

1 hour ago, Darius said:

Over on the flames board they are quoting some guy that’s speculating gaudette plus virtanen for Bennett ... that’s a steep price lol  ... don’t shoot the messenger 

As much as it is frustrating to watch Virtanen and his lack of engagement in games, I don't see Sam Bennett as the answer to our problems especially at the cost of JV and Gauds. I am not even sure I would trade either one of them for Bennett. Does Benning secretly have a new job lined up with the Flames when he gets fired?

2 hours ago, Darius said:

I heard it's Virtanen, Gaudette, Demko and Hamonic for Markstrom, Tanev, Bennett and Leivo...

OIP.jpg

• Haha 1