The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sam Bennett requests trade

1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

I admire your optimism that Murphy could be had for just a 3rd, let alone a 4th round pick (and I do see the off season where Schmidt was traded being different from the period of time coming up with both the cap situation and the draft being factors).

I'm more inclined to believe that Chicago (as well as other teams in a similar position), will go for a hockey trade and move out a player like Murphy for higher picks, players and/or prospects prior to the Seattle expansion draft. If they do lose a player who was part of such a trade, no big deal, the remaining piece(s) are still there, and the value would (likely) be more than a 3rd round pick. If Chicago was concerned about losing Murphy in the draft for nothing, could they not move him after the season is over and get a comparable guy who strengthens another part of the team, say a goalie or a forward? 

The thing that I do see is that not a lot of GMs will be sitting on their hands this off-season.

regards,  G.

It is possible a few teams can make hockey trades in advance of expansion... but I think you are drastically underestimating the impact of expansion.

Teams also have to be able to protect the player they receive in that trade, or it pushes someone else out of a protected slot which puts a big chill on trades.  

Most teams aren’t in our “advantageous” spot of having so many players exempt, on bad contracts, or just too terrible a player to worry about losing.

Chicago has two of their 3 D slots used up for NMCs, so are almost certainly going to lose a top 4D.  There are quite a number of teams in the same boat that have 4 or 5 guys to protect and not enough protected slots.

We have exactly 1 D that we “need” to protect in Schmidt... maybe two if you can’t upgrade on Juolevi.  

1 hour ago, Provost said:

It is possible a few teams can make hockey trades in advance of expansion... but I think you are drastically underestimating the impact of expansion.

Teams also have to be able to protect the player they receive in that trade, or it pushes someone else out of a protected slot which puts a big chill on trades.  

Most teams aren’t in our “advantageous” spot of having so many players exempt, on bad contracts, or just too terrible a player to worry about losing.

Chicago has two of their 3 D slots used up for NMCs, so are almost certainly going to lose a top 4D.  There are quite a number of teams in the same boat that have 4 or 5 guys to protect and not enough protected slots.

We have exactly 1 D that we “need” to protect in Schmidt... maybe two if you can’t upgrade on Juolevi.  

Chicago, like lots of other teams, will likely protect 8 skaters + 1 goalie. This would allow them to protect....

4 D: Keith, Seabrook (nmc), Murphy, Zadorov

4 F: Toews, Kane, Debrincat, Kubalik

1 G: ??? maybe one they get cheap from a team that can't protect their backup

The other possibility is that they get Seabrook to waive his NMC. Seattle won't be selecting him if he is available.

CHI may then go for 7F + 3 D, and protects Keith, Murphy, Zadorov. Plus maybe: Toews, Kane, Debrincat, Kubalik, Strome, Nylander, Wallmark.

Or stick with 8 skaters and put DeHaan into Seabrook's protection slot.

4 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Chicago, like lots of other teams, will likely protect 8 skaters + 1 goalie. This would allow them to protect....

4 D: Keith, Seabrook (nmc), Murphy, Zadorov

4 F: Toews, Kane, Debrincat, Kubalik

1 G: ??? maybe one they get cheap from a team that can't protect their backup

The other possibility is that they get Seabrook to waive his NMC. Seattle won't be selecting him if he is available.

CHI may then go for 7F + 3 D, and protects Keith, Murphy, Zadorov. Plus maybe: Toews, Kane, Debrincat, Kubalik, Strome, Nylander, Wallmark.

Or stick with 8 skaters and put DeHaan into Seabrook's protection slot.

Kubalik is exempt - he’s only in his 2nd pro-season.  Lankinen will be their goalie protected - he’s the reason they are doing so well.   Would expect them to expose Zadorov.

37 minutes ago, mll said:

Kubalik is exempt - he’s only in his 2nd pro-season.  Lankinen will be their goalie protected - he’s the reason they are doing so well.   Would expect them to expose Zadorov.

Good point re Kubalik, seemed like longer than 2 seasons to me. Zadorov could be used to meet the exposure requirement, or perhaps they play Bowey for 15 games and use him to meet the requirement. Either way Chicago aren't going to be trading Murphy for cheap because of the upcoming exp draft

6 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Good point re Kubalik, seemed like longer than 2 seasons to me. Zadorov could be used to meet the exposure requirement, or perhaps they play Bowey for 15 games and use him to meet the requirement. Either way Chicago aren't going to be trading Murphy for cheap because of the upcoming exp draft

Last time close to nothing happened.  Teams instead made deals with Vegas.  Some teams are cap strapped and might prefer making a deal with Seattle to also get some cap relief.  

To use Zadorov to meet the requirement they would need to extend him before the expansion draft and he might prefer to wait as he has arbitration rights.  Bowey already qualifies for the requirement and doesn’t need to reach 27 games this season - he has the 54 games over 2 seasons and is signed through 2021/22.  

15 minutes ago, mll said:

Last time close to nothing happened.  Teams instead made deals with Vegas.  Some teams are cap strapped and might prefer making a deal with Seattle to also get some cap relief.  

To use Zadorov to meet the requirement they would need to extend him before the expansion draft and he might prefer to wait as he has arbitration rights.  Bowey already qualifies for the requirement and doesn’t need to reach 27 games this season - he has the 54 games over 2 seasons and is signed through 2021/22.  

Yes my original point was that there are NOT going to be a bunch of teams out there trying to sell off unprotected assets to other teams before the expansion draft. And this just supports that opinion.

Re: Zadorov. It would surprise me if CHI doesn't resign him and protect him given what they gave up to get him. But if he isn't working out then I guess they may let him walk.

I am still catching up on the pro rata'd exposure requirements for the expansion draft, I was thinking Bowey needed another 17 games to hit 70 over last two seasons, but the shortened seasons means he already meets the minimum # of games played. Cheers.

Well, I'm thinking this topic should be moved to the "Proposals and Armchair GM'ing" section for lack of relevance beyond the "rumour" aspect of this Discussion section.  :)

regards,  G.

56 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

For every Jake Virtanen there a Sam Bennett. Most teams have one 

That’s the thing. Especially with a season like this and the expansion draft coming up.

Players at that level will be available on waivers more than ever. I doubt many teams are going to be giving up assets for them.

20 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Brandon Sutter for Sam Bennett. Calgary gets a 3C to help with their playoff push and Sutter gets to play with his uncle. 

This actually makes a ton of sense for both sides.  Just like Virtanen, Bennett’s value has dropped to a level where you won’t get concrete future value back.  Sutter gives them a solution for what they need now.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

This actually makes a ton of sense for both sides.  Just like Virtanen, Bennett’s value has dropped to a level where you won’t get concrete future value back.  Sutter gives them a solution for what they need now.

Sutter probably doesn’t wanna play for his uncle. :lol:

I’d rather have a 3rd or 4th round pick to be honest.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 1:35 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Brandon Sutter for Sam Bennett. Calgary gets a 3C to help with their playoff push and Sutter gets to play with his uncle. 

I think Bennett would re- invent himself here with Motte.

RFA 1.8 - 2 mil for 2 years.

perhaps even work his way up to the top 2 lines when needed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Bennet and Podolzkin on this team would make Jake worth trading,..   and yes, trade him to the Bruins.

There will never be another Cam Neely.. not in this century,  it’s far too “millennial”. 

Sutter says Bennett is the kind of player he likes.  Bennett calls it a fresh start.  Wouldn’t expect them to trade him.  They apparently already didn’t want to trade him before because he shows up during the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I think Bennett would re- invent himself here with Motte.

RFA 1.8 - 2 mil for 2 years.

perhaps even work his way up to the top 2 lines when needed.

Current Contract

Sam Bennett signed a 2 year / $5,100,000 contract with the Calgary Flames, including $5,100,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $2,550,000. In 2020-1, Bennett will earn a base salary of $2,550,000, while carrying a cap hit of $2,550,000.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Me_ said:
Current Contract

Sam Bennett signed a 2 year / $5,100,000 contract with the Calgary Flames, including $5,100,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $2,550,000. In 2020-1, Bennett will earn a base salary of $2,550,000, while carrying a cap hit of $2,550,000.

Nice,  still a contract that could be moved.

• Vintage 1