The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sam Bennett requests trade

8 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

One more interesting factoid to ponder:  Did you know that the Hockey News 2014 Draft Preview had Sam Bennett rated #1 overall, and Jake Virtanen #11?......why would that be??

Because Sam was 18, and Jake was 13.

1 hour ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

One more interesting factoid to ponder:  Did you know that the Hockey News 2014 Draft Preview had Sam Bennett rated #1 overall, and Jake Virtanen #11?......why would that be??

Yeah, a lot of scouts were torn between the Sams, who was better Reinhart or Bennett. They loved how Sam Bennett was such a big game player for Kingston, and that time had the higher floor

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Nope makes no sense. Horrible trade.

I can just imagine Virtanen figuring it out in Calgary and Canucks fans whining for the next decade.

On the flip side, perhaps Bennett figures it out here. Both guys are waisting away where they currently are. Might as well give each a shot in a new market. 

part of me sincerely believes that hometown Jake might be distracted here. 

• Cheers 1

With Jake having a following with the Calgary Hitmen, I could see there being a want for it there. Bennett coming the other way though...that's hard to say.  I don't get the feeling he'd like Vancouver. I could see Toronto figuring something out. Maybe Bennett and a Dman go to Toronto for Nylander?

Yup, Hanifin and Bennett for Willie Nylander. Maybe Toronto adds a lower tier dman making a mil or so? Maybe Bogosian? Bennett would be back with Gilmour. Toronto gets that right sided top 4 guy with offensive upside and Calgary gets more scoring punch. Calgary's taxi squad has a decent amount of Dmen on it. They can handle the loss for the right thing coming back.

Edited by Noseforthenet

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Actually no it doesn't.

Same cap hit. Both players high draft picks in need of a change of scenery. Roughly the same age. Both in Canada in the Canadian division so the players can get to there new teams with relative easily in a timely manner. That's why it works.

Is it the best trade? No. But on TSN 1040 today they were throwing out suggestions like Derek Ryan for Jake Virtanen which is so much worse... and both Bennett & Virtanen have deflated value right now. Could rehab Bennett and flip him.

Virtanen is likely on his way out and I wouldn't be shocked in the coming weeks if he asks for a trade out of Vancouver.

2 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

uuhm from what i remember it was ekblad or reinhart that were the two question marks of who would go first and it was ekblad, maybe from different sites who projected him to go first.

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

Same cap hit. Both players high draft picks in need of a change of scenery. Roughly the same age. Both in Canada in the Canadian division so the players can get to there new teams with relative easily in a timely manner. That's why it works.

Is it the best trade? No. But on TSN 1040 today they were throwing out suggestions like Derek Ryan for Jake Virtanen which is so much worse... and both Bennett & Virtanen have deflated value right now. Could rehab Bennett and flip him.

Virtanen is likely on his way out and I wouldn't be shocked in the coming weeks if he asks for a trade out of Vancouver.

Yup it just might be both need a change of scenery. Who knows, Jake might hit it off being on a line with Monahan or Lindholm, etc. Jake was given every oppurtunity to succeed here and he hasn't, maybe same for Bennett on his end. We've seen this song and dance with many players who change teams and they just take off whether its coaching staff or personnel, all I know is both players need a change

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Yup it just might be both need a change of scenery. Who knows, Jake might hit it off being on a line with Monahan or Lindholm, etc. Jake was given every oppurtunity to succeed here and he hasn't, maybe same for Bennett on his end. We've seen this song and dance with many players who change teams and they just take off whether its coaching staff or personnel, all I know is both players need a change

I do think that with a change of scenery they would both be a lot better off than they are now. Virtanen won’t be as distracted and maybe it’ll be a kick in the shins for him and he’ll work to get to where he needs to be. As per Bennett... imagine a 3rd line with Motte and big mack on Bennetts wings. That’s a good third line and come playoff time they could be huge for us. 

• Upvote 1

Of course this is a trade that makes sense but Bennett probably wants more ice-time. If we obtain him, where's he going to fit this season? Sutter and Beagle aren't moving, Gaudette might be getting more center time as well. If anything, Bennett might be a replacement for Sutter in the future as the third line center but doesn't he want top-6 minutes? With around 10 goals and 20-30 points a season I don't think anyone's going to gift him 2nd line center minutes unless he's on a rubbish team like Detroit.

That being said, Virtanen for Bennett straight up makes a lot of sense, but as badly as Virtanen has played, he's produced more than Bennett in the past in flashes. Right now he's a healthy scratch though and really fallen out of favour so if I were JB I'd certainly be looking into this option. I doubt either player will really flourish, but Bennett will get a solid 15 minutes a night if he can kill penalties as Sutter's replacement.

If I were JB though I'd be looking elsewhere first, a maligned Bennett has to be the last option.

Dunno if Calgary would want a Virt for Bennett swap, but always lose a little leverage when a player wants out, esp. on an expiring contract

Could see Bennett pushing down Pearson and playing with Hoggie & Horvat. With Hoggie's hustle and Horvat's clutchness could be an awesome playoff line, where Pearson's offense dried up as the playoffs went on.

Virt + Gaudette for Bennett? The flames do wanna be us anyway haha

Miller - Petey - Boeser

Bennett - Horvat - Hoglander

Pearson - Hatrick Sutter - MacEwen

Roussel - Beagle - Motte

• Haha 1

Rivals, but a Jake for Bennett swap makes sense for both teams. Players hold somewhat equal value with Jake worth a tad more because of previous point totals. Bennett being a center though, has that over Jake. Jake has always played well in Calgary, maybe because of his history with the Hitman. Bennett would eventually slot in at third line center after Sutter is gone. I like Bennett's nasty streak and I prefer Gaudette on the wing anyways. As a fan it's tough to see a former Flame in our jersey, it's just pukey. But if it makes the team better I will get over it quickly. 

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

Was just going to post. There's our 3C.

Love that concept - the only concern I would have is he apparently takes a lot of bad penalties. But come playoff time what he does typically isn't penalty.

heard that on a calgary tv broadcast the other day Lol

51 minutes ago, rekker said:

Rivals, but a Jake for Bennett swap makes sense for both teams. Players hold somewhat equal value with Jake worth a tad more because of previous point totals. Bennett being a center though, has that over Jake. Jake has always played well in Calgary, maybe because of his history with the Hitman. Bennett would eventually slot in at third line center after Sutter is gone. I like Bennett's nasty streak and I prefer Gaudette on the wing anyways. As a fan it's tough to see a former Flame in our jersey, it's just pukey. But if it makes the team better I will get over it quickly. 

Why Bennett. It’s not like he hasn’t had opportunity in Calgary. Jake has outperformed Bennett. Not an argument to keep Jake if a deal is out there. The Sens will likely be dealing. Send Jake to the Habs for Mete. 

50 minutes ago, rekker said:

Jake playing well in CGY is exactly why I wouldn't want to send him there lol. He seems to get quite full of himself there. I can see why Calgary would want to make the trade - not sure why we would risk moving Jake to them in that scenario. I don't want him smashing Hughes for the next decade if he decides to become a Torres type or gets some semblance of a work ethic. :lol: