The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sam Bennett requests trade

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Why Bennett. It’s not like he hasn’t had opportunity in Calgary. Jake has outperformed Bennett. Not an argument to keep Jake if a deal is out there. The Sens will likely be dealing. Send Jake to the Habs for Mete. 

Colin White could be a 3C for us even. Fantastic 2 way player as a kid. Showed some offensive flashes vs us too. 

12 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Why Bennett. It’s not like he hasn’t had opportunity in Calgary. Jake has outperformed Bennett. Not an argument to keep Jake if a deal is out there. The Sens will likely be dealing. Send Jake to the Habs for Mete. 

I would preferably like to see a young physical, , shutdown type dman for Jake but not sure that deal is out there. Mete? All 5'9" of him, no thanks. We have two or three depth dmen better than him already. Bennett fits a organizational need as a young centerman with some grit.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I'm down for a 3rd line consisting of Bennett and Podz next year.

Bennet wants to be in a top 6 role somewhere and I don't think he'd get that in Van. Maybe he goes to Ottawa. He'd be a top 6 guy there no question. Him and Brady on the same line would be a handful!!

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Jake playing well in CGY is exactly why I wouldn't want to send him there lol. He seems to get quite full of himself there. I can see why Calgary would want to make the trade - not sure why we would risk moving Jake to them in that scenario. I don't want him smashing Hughes for the next decade if he decides to become a Torres type or gets some semblance of a work ethic. :lol:

I can agree with this. 

9 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Bennet wants to be in a top 6 role somewhere and I don't think he'd get that in Van. Maybe he goes to Ottawa. He'd be a top 6 guy there no question. Him and Brady on the same line would be a handful!!

Not arguing with you but I keep hearing he wants a tol six role. Is this been made public, or just assumed? He's reaching if he thinks he's a top six player. I watch the Flames as little as possible, but one would assume he's been tried there. Tried there similar to Jake, and similar mixed results. 

I like the tools that Jake has, but we have to face it... He's not gonna figure it out here.  Not sure what it is, maybe it's cuz there are too many distractions living in his hometown, but if he is gonna figure out how to be the powerforward he was meant to be, it'll be on another team.  

Bennett will bring what we need now, which is toughness and tenacity in the bottom 6.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

3 hours ago, rekker said:

Rivals, but a Jake for Bennett swap makes sense for both teams. Players hold somewhat equal value with Jake worth a tad more because of previous point totals. Bennett being a center though, has that over Jake. Jake has always played well in Calgary, maybe because of his history with the Hitman. Bennett would eventually slot in at third line center after Sutter is gone. I like Bennett's nasty streak and I prefer Gaudette on the wing anyways. As a fan it's tough to see a former Flame in our jersey, it's just pukey. But if it makes the team better I will get over it quickly. 

Bennett has taken 15 faceoffs in 7 games. He's more of a winger than Gaudette is at this point. They are both piss poor in the dot. But at least Gaudette averages more than 2 faceoffs a game and has a higher faceoff win percentage. Albeit very slightly.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Bennett has taken 15 faceoffs in 7 games. He's more of a winger than Gaudette is at this point. They are both piss poor in the dot. But at least Gaudette averages more than 2 faceoffs a game and has a higher faceoff win percentage. Albeit very slightly.

He has been used as a winger, but in his last 3 seasons he has been over 50% on faceoffs (taking about 1/3rd ro 1/2 of what Gaudette has been taking).  He also has a WAY better 2 way profile and is pretty solid defensively which will endear him to our coach and also allow him to be less sheltered than Gaudette.  Gaudette primarily had his starts in the offensive zone and Bennett in the defensive zone.

In any event, it would really be a comparison between Jake and Bennett, not Gaudette and Bennett.  Putting Bennett on Sutter's wing for the season and learning under him, gradually taking more faceoffs in spot duty, etc could be an immediate improvement and possibly put him in a position to be a 3C next year.  Our system and 3rd line has different expectations than simply being a shut down line, so he could certainly fit there with an expectation of providing more offence.  Horvat and Beagle will always take the toughest matchups, it is just the makeup of our team.

Virtanen has outperformed Bennett, so one would think a pick would have to come our way unlike Benning always sending picks out in these sorts of trades.  As an ex Hitman, Jake would have some immediate popularity in Calgary.  If we could wrangle a 3rd round pick, maybe that is a chip we could use to offload Baertschi to another team and opening up a little cap space for a deadline add if we are in need of one.

https://calgarysun.com/sports/flames-snapshots-bennett-looking-to-add-to-offensive-output

Edited by Provost
  • Thanks 1

Bennett has been trending downward for years. Ever since he started growing that ridiculous beard.

Do we really think that Calgary is that deep up front that he can’t earn an opportunity? Or maybe it’s the player himself?

No way I send Virtanen to a rival if the return is a 4th line player. Which at this point Virtanen also is, but on the small chance he becomes a stud there not worth the risk sending him to a division rival. 

I think we’ve had enough failed trades with Calgary to learn our lesson.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Dunno if Calgary would want a Virt for Bennett swap, but always lose a little leverage when a player wants out, esp. on an expiring contract

Could see Bennett pushing down Pearson and playing with Hoggie & Horvat. With Hoggie's hustle and Horvat's clutchness could be an awesome playoff line, where Pearson's offense dried up as the playoffs went on.

Virt + Gaudette for Bennett? The flames do wanna be us anyway haha

Miller - Petey - Boeser

Bennett - Horvat - Hoglander

Pearson - Hatrick Sutter - MacEwen

Roussel - Beagle - Motte

Pearson is way better than Bennett

• Cheers 1

Just now, Devron44 said:

Pearson is way better than Bennett

No kidding.

I thought we were past the point of fawning over other teams castaways.

Virtanen is arguably better than Bennett too. You don’t think Flames fans have the same issues with Bennett? He was an even higher pick.

Only way I trade Jake is if we acquire a decent young D man in return. Something along the lines of  Virtanen and a 2nd for Dunn.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Virtanen is arguably better than Bennett too. You don’t think Flames fans have the same issues with Bennett? He was an even higher pick.

Bennett plays his best hockey in the playoffs though. Some guys get you to the playoffs and other guys get you through them. There’s another group, a third one, that does neither of those two things. Jake belongs in the third group. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

Bennett plays his best hockey in the playoffs though. Some guys get you to the playoffs and other guys get you through them. There’s another group, a third one, that does neither of those two things. Jake belongs in the third group. 

A guy has to provide a role for you during the regular season as well. And from the looks of it Bennett doesn’t do that either.

Im not trading for a guy that can only play in April. That’s what the trade deadline is for.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No kidding.

I thought we were past the point of fawning over other teams castaways.

Only way I trade Jake is if we acquire a decent young D man in return. Something along the lines of  Virtanen and a 2nd for Dunn.

Yeah I’m not ok with a JV for Bennett trade straight up. Basically a project for a project. JV is probably gonna go on a little bit of a tear at some point maybe that’s when you trade him but right now I’d rather see a pick back or a prospect. A trade like you mentioned might work as well.

Don’t buy the playoff performance stuff. Don’t remember the flames doing much in the playoffs .

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

A guy has to provide a role for you during the regular season as well. And from the looks of it Bennett doesn’t do that either.

Im not trading for a guy that can only play in April. That’s what the trade deadline is for.

I won’t argue that there may be better trade targets out there but we’ve also gotta consider what those might cost, the cross-border issue, etc. If Jake takes a step back from last season then I suspect he’ll have little to no trade value given his cap hit, QO, and the flattened cap. 

• Upvote 1