The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] DeAngelo NYR

8 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Going back to last year with Lias Anderson where the Rangers leadership group couldn’t handle him and his ego and then if the Ranger management and coaching staff actually thought DeAngelo would be a part of the leadership group with his past then they have major problems. On the Rangers they have Kreider and Jack Johnson and Panarin and Zibanejad as not only there leadership group but only players that almost 30 as the bulk of the team is between 23 and 26. 

To be honest. I'm not sure the Canucks have a "stronger" leadership group. Look at the team tonight, and tell me I'm wrong. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

That is just getting pissed because of losing and not a teammate being an asshole starting fights verbally and physically, a big difference. 

Yeah, perhaps the Canucks leadership group might be stronger. But with all the troubles they're having right now - you think bringing in a guy like this would help the team? 

Not going to read through all that, but a thought exercise for everyone: would you trade Eriksson for DeAngelo now that he's cleared waivers? Contracts end at the same time, but lower cap hit. Maybe DeAngelo gets frustrated enough to terminate his contract next season and we free up cap space before the deadline? Or, do you not even want him around the taxi squad/AHL team considering he really is a massive character detriment at this point?

10 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Not going to read through all that, but a thought exercise for everyone: would you trade Eriksson for DeAngelo now that he's cleared waivers? Contracts end at the same time, but lower cap hit. Maybe DeAngelo gets frustrated enough to terminate his contract next season and we free up cap space before the deadline? Or, do you not even want him around the taxi squad/AHL team considering he really is a massive character detriment at this point?

Probably not since they stressed "character".  So not sure if worth losing the locker room even more by adding more controversy.  It's not like TD is the knight in shining armor that will magically change the teams losing streak.

15 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

DeAngelo buyout cap hit - 380K + 880K vs

Eriksson buyout cap hit - 4M + 1M

Doesn’t even have to play for the team, but NYR not interested in taking on a bad contract to facilitate a trade as they can just buy him out themselves.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

I'd rather just wait out Eriksson's contract. I think DeAngelo cleared waivers for a reason (beyond teams not affording his cap). I think if trading a player's the way out of the Eriksson contract, there are a lot of options outside of DeAngelo and the fact that we haven't jumped on those tells me it's not what Benning's looking for.

Oh, absolutely reasons why it wouldn't happen, but again, just a thought experiment on if we could even stomach DeAngelo around other prospects in our system. I have no hopes of him rehabilitating his character enough to actually play.

23 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Oh, absolutely reasons why it wouldn't happen, but again, just a thought experiment on if we could even stomach DeAngelo around other prospects in our system. I have no hopes of him rehabilitating his character enough to actually play.

I wouldn't want him around.  Only way I agree to it is if we can either make him stay home or loan him out to a KHL team.

On 2/7/2021 at 10:46 AM, elvis15 said:

Thought exercise for you.

What's the likelihood that "everyone" has already raised the most obvious of ideas (about 30 or 40 times) in what you're "not going to read"?

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

Thought exercise for you.

What's the likelihood that "everyone" has already raised the most obvious of ideas (about 30 or 40 times) in what you're "not going to read"?

So, you're saying it has, and thus I shouldn't have gotten anything but smarmy replies. Gotcha. I'll just exclude the ones I did get and take your word for it.

32 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

DeAngelo on waivers? Is Van going to claim him? 

There's been so much talk about trading for him. Why trade for him when you can just get him for free on waivers? 

No one claimed him.

I believe this is for them to take salary back. Most teams are at the Cap this far into the season and need to do a trade in order to fit under the Cap.

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

No one claimed him.

I believe this is for them to take salary back. Most teams are at the Cap this far into the season and need to do a trade in order to fit under the Cap.

ah. how much was he making? 

14 hours ago, elvis15 said:

So, you're saying it has, and thus I shouldn't have gotten anything but smarmy replies. Gotcha. I'll just exclude the ones I did get and take your word for it.

well - when you propose a 'thought exercise' for 'everyone' but can't be bothered to read what anyone else has posted - the smarm might be earned.