The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] DeAngelo NYR

56 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

What about for Virtanen, Roussel, and a 1st and maybe a prospect like Lind? You think Rangers would take it ?

That is a joke, right? Holy smokes! What an absolutely idiotic proposal. I'm cutting you a break by assuming this is a joke.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gizmo2337 said:

This has little to do with his on-ice play. It's the off ice antics and personality.

https://thehockeywriters.com/rangers-deangelo-conundrum-controversies-on-ice-talent/

I wouldn't be so sure it doesn't also have to do with his on-ice play.   They just re-signed him - hard to imagine his antics/character/personality were a mystery...

He has 1 powerplay assist in 6 games.

70% ozone starts.

6.6 on ice goals against per 60 5on5.

Easily the worst on-ice player (and liability) for the Rangers thus far.

Last two seasons he played with a pretty solid stay at home Marc Staal.

Now he's playing with Smith/Johnson.

Anyhow - I think they overpaid him, prematurely.

First, his 10.1% shooting percentage last season - is an obvious outlier that he's not going to sustain / that was destined to return to mean.

Second, 48% of his assists have come on the powerplay - 42% last season = fairly one-dimensional - to go with undersized, not particularly physical, and apparently a headcase.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Wow what a mess, he was basically scoring at a 60-70 point pace last season, former 1st round pick, has just had a rough start to the season. 4.8M cap hit, there's no way a team doesn't claim him and it doesn't have to be a bad team. I hope Edmonton don't get him, this kid still oozes potential and to nab him for free would just be unfair.

Doesn't matter how much they/you don't like him as a person, losing that value for nothing is a stupid GM move. He could easily fetch a top 6 forward or I'd say even a 1st round pick, a few bad games isn't enough to undo what he's done in the last 2 seasons.

You don't think Rangers gave teams a call offering this kid. OFC THEY DID. 

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

That is a joke, right? Holy smokes! What an absolutely idiotic proposal. I'm cutting you a break by assuming this is a joke.

I'm looking at it in a perspective in how NYR might see his value. The Virtanen and Roussel is to remove some cap on Vancouver's side. So the 1st and a prospect is the real asset Vancouver will be giving the Rangers.

Is it a bit much? Sure but 70 pt Defensemen don't just grow in trees.

Of course I posted that forgetting he wasn't waiver except 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

No GM with any PR sense will touch him with a 39 and a half foot pole. On top of that, he has no defense. A 50-point defenseman probably isn't worth the PR nightmare. it's not like he's a Norris candidate since his defense is so shoddy.

39 and a half foot pole? What if his heart grew three sizes? He'd have the strength of ten defenseman, plus two!

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I'm looking at it in a perspective in how NYR might see his value. The Virtanen and Roussel is to remove some cap on Vancouver's side. So the 1st and a prospect is the real asset Vancouver will be giving the Rangers.

I wouldn't make that trade whether he was exempt or not. Huge over payment. Barrie scores as much and he's someone I'd never have on my team. Not sure why you even suggested this.

Edited by BarnBurner
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I wouldn't even trade LE for that chump. His value is in the negatives, just like LE. 

• Cheers 2