The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Green’s future (& coaching system)

Rate this topic

‘ce$co Aquilini

Hi all. You know it, it’s your fav teams main man France$co here!

wanting to discuss our head coach, Greener. Here’s a few thoughts to share,

PROS

- has the team play hard

- leaves players accountable

- that’s really it

CONS

- no real clear playing style

- too reliant on PPs for scoring (not a recipe for success come playoff time)

- allows too many shots against (even if they’re from the outside or w/e he wants to call it, clearly unsustainable in the playoffs when facing superior competition as we saw in the Vegas series)

Myself, like many others, really admire Travis the person, there’s almost nothing not to like about him there. But his coaching system there isn’t really even something a fan of the team that follows them can point out with relative ease and say “this is the way the team plays”, at least in a positive manner.

there’s no real positive decisive patterns emerging that exceptional teams/coaches

display which are easily noticeable. It’s a concern of mine. Only patterns/systems a fan can think of off the top of their heads are sitting back and inviting opponents into our own end and limiting “high scoring chances” by allowing them to overload our goaltenders with crazy number of shots attempts. It’s not a problem against weak opponents (ala the Senators) but actual competitive teams + strong end ones you see in the playoffs, it’s almost inevitable there’ll be disaster having to put so much onus on the shoulders of our goalies because that’s just the way Green’s system is set up.

...& quite frankly, it’s too negative which I don’t like. Which is ultimately why I decided not to extend his contract before the start of this season. Not enough quality offensive patterns, too reliant on allowing clusters of shots against, which often times leads to defending and holding on for dear life. Don’t get me wrong it works time to time but the feeling is it’s not something that can ensure you long term success being unsustainable when you’re going against the top of the top. Do love the effort and drive he instills in the boys but at some point, there’s got to be more than just that and relying on PPs etc which are fine if you’re talking regular season. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ‘ce$co Aquilini said:

PROS

- has the team play hard

- that’s really it

CONS

- allows too many shots against (even if they’re from the outside or w/e he wants to call it, clearly unsustainable in the playoffs when facing superior competition as we saw in the Vegas series)

Myself, like many others, really admire Travis the person, there’s almost nothing not to like about him there. But his coaching system there isn’t really even something a fan of the team that follows them can point out with relative ease and say “this is the way the team plays”, at least in a positive manner.

there’s no real positive decisive patterns emerging that exceptional teams/coaches

display which are easily noticeable. It’s a concern of mine. Only patterns/systems a fan can think of off the top of their heads are sitting back and inviting opponents into our own end and limiting “high scoring chances” by allowing them to overload our goaltenders with crazy number of shots attempts. It’s not a problem against weak opponents (ala the Senators) but actual competitive teams + strong end ones you see in the playoffs, it’s almost inevitable there’ll be disaster having to put so much onus on the shoulders of our goalies because that’s just the way Green’s system is set up.

...& quite frankly, it’s too negative which I don’t like. Which is ultimately why I decided not to extend his contract before the start of this season. Not enough quality offensive patterns, too reliant on allowing clusters of shots against, which often times leads to defending and holding on for dear life. Don’t get me wrong it works time to time but the feeling is it’s not something that can ensure you long term success being unsustainable when you’re going against the top of the top. Do love the effort and drive he instills in the boys but at some point, there’s got to be more than just that and relying on PPs etc which are fine if you’re talking regular season. 

I know Green has his flaws, but I have to say A+ for typing up a troll thread and not butchering the grammar in the process, for the most part. At least my eyes won't be distracted.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 3

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Sorry, I'm looking at McDavid money for me and my buddy Huggy Bear.  Frankie better pay up or we will go to Florida.  I love the sunshine there and the free taxes... :)

Luongo better not be tampering with you to get you to come south.. :emot-parrot:

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Dear Mr. Aquillini,

Happy see you joining us on CDC!

I have been meaning to catch you in the hallway to run something by you.  I have been pondering making a comeback on a short-term contract just so that I can hopefully shame Jake into playing with some grit and determination, after he sees a much older, undersized player like me playing like this on a nonstop basis (as I always did)!  Is this a proposal that you would be willing to consider?  If so, please contact me ASAP.  I feel strongly that this is the only way to save Jake's career!

Thanks in advance,

Stan (#12)

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Fire Green!

Green is the prime color of the world, and that from which its loveliness arises. When you're green, your growing. When you're ripe, you rot. Stay green, stay in the woods, and stay safe. I am in love with this green Earth. Even in winter it shall be green in my heart.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Power play not a recipe for playoff success? Without a Top powerplay, penalty kill and goalie tandem, your team is not going to be an elite Nhl team and will be going no where in the playoffs. Our Teams problems reflect youth and lack of depth not poor coaching. 4 games ago our team looked like the worst nhl product since the Cleveland Barons. Players handling granades instead of pucks. Against the jets we played a very sound game. Best of the season by far. Hopefully some of our youth aka Demko, Hoglander, Chatfield and Joulevi can continue to improve and be solid contributers and our team will continue to improve and finish strong.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, ‘ce$co Aquilini said:

PROS

- has the team play hard

- that’s really it

CONS

Hi Frank- quit posting here and stick to twitter.....cheers!

• Haha 1

I’ve said it before. Shots do not tell the tale. Lots of shots can actually boost the goalie play. If shots are from the perimeter you’re just warming up the goalie, keeping him engaged. It’s one of the reasons the Canucks score so much they take shots when they are quality opportunities for the most part. And another reason our goalies can catch fire. It’s the high danger scoring chances or the early game opportunities that I worry about 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Green will be resigned for about 3 year term. He's a good coach, who pushes players and asks for accountability. 

There are always going to be some guys who don't like who our coach is a, no matter what. We could have Scottie Bowman in here, in his prime (won more cups, with more teams than any other coach in NHL history), and some would be convinced that we can do better.

• Cheers 1